Kalidou Koulibaly

Andresito

Staff member
Difference is we get downright world class quality with Koulibaly and 30m for two fullbacks will get us most likely two Roberto/Dest clones. Unless we have a scouting masterclass - something I wouldn't bet on (and quite unreasonable to ask for).

Would be nice to have a strong center for once.

It surely would. But we are very thin on FB's, it's not only that it is Alba and Dest, the problem is that there isn't anyone else lol. I don't want to keep moving Araujo to RB even if he does fine there. At LB I can't even remember the last time Alba was rested.

Obviously getting Koulibaly and maybe one fullback would be the most ideal, but it would cost a bit unless we can negotiate Kouli down even further.

Messi983

Wouldn't mind Koulibaly for 30m either.

But if we compare the fullbacks (Alba, Dest, Balde, Alves, Roberto)
To the CB's (Araujo, Christensen, Pique, Eric)

It's clear that the CB's, despite being pretty underwhelming, still hold a better level than the FB's. For 30m we could probably afford two new fullbacks.

Don't disagree but a 30m CB could be better and so worth more to the team than two 15m FBs.

We can't/won't solve all of our problems in one summer. Get the best possible player we can afford at any position of need (so basically any position except a CM). We shouldn't settle on two average FBs if we can get one great CB for the same price.

But anyway, it looks more and more likely we'll go cheap at the FB position. Most players we were linked to are either pending free agents (Mazraoui, Azpi) or should be available relatively cheap (Gaya, Grimaldo, Galan, Alonso). So it's not mutually exclusive to get a good CB alongside one or two of those FBs.

Could be wrong but think club's plan was always to invest whatever serious money we can afford to spend this summer to improve attacking positions and go cheap in defense. Hopefully Christensen will turn into a quality longterm contributor to the team (at least a solid 3rd CB if won't become a starter) but after missing out on Mazraoui if likes of Azpi, Alonso or Galan are signed will most likely be just stop gaps until we find someone better. Gaya could be a longterm replacement for Alba but don't think we'll get him. And I'm not really a fan of Grimaldo so hopefully won't spend much money to get him back. If we'll go for Benfica player I'd prefer Darwin.

Porque

What about Milan Skriniar?

Same contract situation, similar transfer fees, younger but also leader (in terms of organization) of the defence.

We need to target someone in that age sweetspot like Liverpool did when they signed Van Dijk, and Allison, and Salah... and Mane... and Diaz... and Jota...

...and Konate

...and you get the f*kin picture

Last edited:

Temptation

What about Milan Skriniar?

Same contract situation, similar transfer fees, younger but also leader (in terms of organization) of the defence.

We need to target someone in that age sweetspot like Liverpool did when they signed Van Dijk, and Allison, and Salah... and Mane... and Diaz... and Jota...

...and Konate

...and you get the f*kin picture

Brilliant shout. He's absolutely World Class. One of my favourite defenders itw.

But you guys can't afford him at all. He'll cost a bomb.

Porque

Brilliant shout. He's absolutely World Class. One of my favourite defenders itw.

But you guys can't afford him at all. He'll cost a bomb.

I'm reading 60m which is what Napoli are quoting for Koulibaly. Contract is up in 2023 so transfer fee and time can play against Inter. But the bigger problem, as you indirectly point out (I think) is that he should have much more suitors with deeper pockets than a 31 year old Koulibaly. And that could stifle Barcelona unless they decide to go all out on one world class centre- which we do seriously need to consider doing now or next year.

Temptation

I'm reading 60m which is what Napoli are quoting for Koulibaly. Contract is up in 2023 so transfer fee and time can play against Inter. But the bigger problem, as you indirectly point out (I think) is that he should have much more suitors with deeper pockets than a 31 year old Koulibaly. And that could stifle Barcelona unless they decide to go all out on one world class centre- which we do seriously need to consider doing now or next year.

He's one of the most important players for Inter. World Class and young. Enterting his peak years in theory. Loves it in Italy and is settled there.

Minimum 70 mil.

But my god, what a signing he'd be!

People fawning over Kounde will know what a real CB is.

mc_lovin

Skriniar looks too similar to Araujo, no? Would rather put a more elegant CB next to him.

And I quite like the dynamic with Araujo+Pique, so I absolutely wouldn't mind de Ligt as a medium term solution (eg not this summer, but next depending on the contract situation etc pp). Anyway, there are tons of exciting options at CB... unlike those damn fullbacks.

Andresito

Staff member
Inter are already open to selling de Vrij for around 15m. Surely won't get rid of two starting CB's in the same summer.

Temptation

Skriniar is very good on the ball. Has played DM a number of times too. Comfortable at DM.

And no, he isn't like Araujo.

Skriniar is much more of a tactician and defensive leader. Skriniar's marking and positional sense is top notch. Skriniar is very brave too and has a bit of an old class CB in him too so he's not soft at all. Dangerous from set plays and a good ball carrier.

The perfect modern CB imo.

Temptation

Fun fact: Real Madrid have always been big admirers of Skriniar and have had scouts over to watch him from a pretty young age.

Zidane82

I saw somewhere that they wanted 40 million for Koulibaly but we were not prepared to pay so much

vuji_31

Nobody is going to give Inter 60-70mil for defender that is almost out of contract. If he wants to go I think something about 40mill would be fair price concidering contract situation.
Skiriniar is left footed which is great, we could finnaly have decent 2 CB.

I would not bring Koulibaly because, he will be 31 years old, 30-40mil price.

We will not bring CL next season, not even season after. We can go with younger defenders to peak them at 2024-25.

We should splash the cash for Rudiger like Madrid. We are giving 18mil to Auba, but not able to compete for Rudiger who is beast.And free also.

Andresito

Staff member
Nobody is going to give Inter 60-70mil for defender that is almost out of contract. If he wants to go I think something about 40mill would be fair price concidering contract situation.

We will not bring CL next season, not even season after. We can go with younger defenders to peak them at 2024-25.

We should splash the cash for Rudiger like Madrid. We are giving 18mil to Auba, but not able to compete for Rudiger who is beast.And free also.

Skriniar is right footed.

Temptation

Has a decent left peg but he's right footed.

Trust me, he's quality. Better than Rudiger and not nearly as suspect in a 2 CB system.

Porque

Skriniar is very good on the ball. Has played DM a number of times too. Comfortable at DM.

And no, he isn't like Araujo.

Skriniar is much more of a tactician and defensive leader. Skriniar's marking and positional sense is top notch. Skriniar is very brave too and has a bit of an old class CB in him too so he's not soft at all. Dangerous from set plays and a good ball carrier.

The perfect modern CB imo.

Would be an excellent match with Araujo imo. Araujo needs organizing, he is the 2nd centre currently (and judging on positioning may never be beyond that), and Skriniar despite being aggressive is the organizer. Just a very solid pair with world class potential that can stay together for 5+ seasons.

Koulibaly could too, but it's more of a push with his age and he has never seemed the organiser of the defence to me. It would more than likely be an more experienced version of Araujo next to Pique with Araujo rotating and slotting in at RB. Shudder! (Koula/Araujo and Pique/Christensen).

Oh and last point. Don't want to turn this thread into a Skriniar vs. Koulibaly thing. We have actually been linked to Skriniar this year, although not much recently.

Home of Barca Fans