Eric Garcia (loaned to Girona)

Donatello

He made the right decision.

We don't trust La Masia as we used to. He already had Umtiti and Pique ahead of him, then we bought Lenglet and Todibo. We are also rumored to buy De Ligt.

Not defending Pep, but had he stayed, he wouldn't have got the chance anyways. At City, Pep believed in him, he had an easier route to first team and still challenge for the same trophies plus the money.

Harsh but true.

Alik

We don't trust La Masia as we used to. He already had Umtiti and Pique ahead of him, then we bought Lenglet and Todibo. We are also rumored to buy De Ligt.

Not defending Pep, but had he stayed, he wouldn't have got the chance anyways. At City, Pep believed in him, he had an easier route to first team and still challenge for the same trophies plus the money.

Harsh but true.

Not true.

We signed Lenglet in the summer of 2018, and Todibo this year.

Eric Garcia was signed in the summer of 2017.

khaled_a_d

We don't trust La Masia as we used to. ot defending Pep, but had he stayed, he wouldn't have got the chance anyways. At City, Pep believed in him, he had an easier route to first team

Which players did Pep promote that he wasn't coaching with B team? How many youth players he promoted in Bayern?
Pep might leave in 2022 when his contract is over, by that time Laporte & Stones are going to be at their primes too, and De Ligt is also linked to them. Not sure how it is easier route to 1st team

Donatello

Not true.

We signed Lenglet in the summer of 2018, and Todibo this year.

Eric Garcia was signed in the summer of 2017.

That doesn't change anything. Had he not moved, he would've still considered as a prospect & we still would've made those signings.

Look at Alena and Puig, they are even better prospects, but still we signed Arthur, Coutinho, De Jong and maybe Rabiot. Not saying those are bad signings, but the board simply trusts more proven players rather than academy prospects.

Donatello

Which players did Pep promote that he wasn't coaching with B team? How many youth players he promoted in Bayern?
Pep might leave in 2022 when his contract is over, by that time Laporte & Stones are going to be at their primes too, and De Ligt is also linked to them. Not sure how it is easier route to 1st team

Eric Garcia came to City because of Pep, its quite obvious.

You might be right about Laporte and Stones, but still he can easily be 3rd choice, & maybe a starter because he has less competitors.

Alik

That doesn't change anything. Had he not moved, he would've still considered as a prospect & we still would've made those signings.

Look at Alena and Puig, they are even better prospects, but still we signed Arthur, Coutinho, De Jong and maybe Rabiot. Not saying those are bad signings, but the board simply trusts more proven players rather than academy prospects.

So why mention it?

I doubt Todibo would have been bought if we had Eric Garcia.

Andresito

Staff member
Pep compares Garcia to Busquets, full article on their official website

Pep Guardiola says Eric Garcia shares similarities with Barcelona great, Sergio Busquets.
The 18-year-old defender has impressed the Manchester City boss with his thirst for tactical knowledge since stepping up into the first team environment.

It’s a rare trait in one so young, Guardiola admits, but it’s something he recalls identifying in the young Busquets, who he helped become one of the finest holding midfielders in the world whilst at Barcelona.

“Busquets [was like that] when he was young,” the Catalan said when asked if Garcia reminds him of any other player he’s worked with.

“When I was in the second team at Barcelona and the first team, he was so curious. In that age, at 17 or 18-years-old, there are not many.

“But in the squad, there are people who love to understand the tactics and guys who don’t like to talk about that. That doesn’t mean you’re good or bad.

“He’s just 18-years-old and has lots to learn, but he is so clever,” added Guardiola. “Everything you say to him, he understands immediately.

“I heard something when he was in the Barcelona academy, that he was a captain in all the teams,” explained the boss.

“He arrived here and immediately he was captain. That means he settled incredibly well with the team. He is an incredibly lovely guy, very well educated and always knows exactly what he has to do.

Messi983

Ferran Martinez says we're considering Eric Garcia and we've asked City about him during recent negotiations for a possible Semedo-Cancelo swap (those negotiations are currently on a "standby"). His contract expires in 2022 but I'm sure City will renew him before we'll have any chance to get him. Unless Garcia is smart enough to know Pep won't be there for more than another season or two and reject renovation to keep his options open.

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futb...603/481584069646/eric-garcia-opcion-2021.html

Andresito

Staff member
Would be awesome but I doubt they'll let him go especially with him counting as homegrown at City.
That and City lacking a quality sidekick to Laporte.

But let's hope he'll want to move back and do a Pique.

I'm almost leaning towards being happy with a straight swap between Semedo and Garcia.

JamDav1982

Garcia has not shown anything at City yet for Barca to make some big move for him and unlikely anyway as he will sign new contract with Guardiola there.

Guardiola is chosing to play midfielders ahead of him no matter how much he praises him and I will bet City go for a CB or Fernandinho before having Garcia as starter any time soon.

Swapping him for Semedo would be ridiculous if can get 40m for Semedo.

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
I think he can blossom into one of the world's best defenders from what I've seen. Rarely puts a foot wrong.

JamDav1982

I think he can blossom into one of the world's best defenders from what I've seen. Rarely puts a foot wrong.

Seen of him where?

He has barely played for City and not shown that level. He looks good on ball but maybe a bit slow.

Pep is not relying on him and putting Fernandinho back in defence and will most likely buy another CB.

Folk are going over top as Pep speaks about him and was sought after as a highly rated Barca youngster. If was English folk would barely bat an eyey lid as not seen enough of him yet.

No chance is he worth 40m to Barca right now.

Andresito

Staff member
Seen of him where?

He has barely played for City and not shown that level. He looks good on ball but maybe a bit slow.

Pep is not relying on him and putting Fernandinho back in defence and will most likely buy another CB.

Folk are going over top as Pep speaks about him and was sought after as a highly rated Barca youngster. If was English folk would barely bat an eyey lid as not seen enough of him yet.

No chance is he worth 40m to Barca right now.

Well he's played almost 8 full games worth of minutes for the senior side this season. He looked good even if it's too early to draw any conclusions.
He was solid last season as well.

Many have questioned Pep on why he doesn't play Garcia more. I'm not Pep so I can't give an answer, but I guess he went for Fernandinho's leadership instead.

JamDav1982

Well he's played almost 8 full games worth of minutes for the senior side this season. He looked good even if it's too early to draw any conclusions.
He was solid last season as well.

Many have questioned Pep on why he doesn't play Garcia more. I'm not Pep so I can't give an answer, but I guess he went for Fernandinho's leadership instead.

If it is correct that he only has one year left on contract and Puyol has been part of agency representing him in past then better off leaving it and seeing if he wants make move next summer.

As Puyol may well be part of Barca by then.

Garcia has looked decent and may well go on to be a top defender but has not shown anything amazing yet and certainly not to be swapping with Semedo.

Home of Barca Fans