Eric Garcia (loaned to Girona)

Batistuta9

It's a very risky move imo. Cancelo is definitely better than semedo attacking, but is a lot worse at defending. I wouldn't mind if we had a more defensive minded RW. Messi + semdedo is better than Messi + cancelo for us. I wouldn't mind cancelo if griezmann was playing RW though.

Porque

Any chance we can just get Eric + Money and use a portion of that for a prospect like Dest or similar. Since Roberto is here anyway we do not exactly need an aged RB for next season.

mc_lovin

I would rather try my luck with Cancelo than sticking with Semedo. I really fear that 5 year contract extension. If that gets us Garcia even better. And who knows, maybe it clicks for Cancelo here, hes a good player. Otherwise we still have Roberto as well.

FinBarcelonafan

Our defense becomes real suspect without Semedos defensive effort though. Alba, Cancelo, and then two slow CBs Lenglet and Pique. Damn.. that's bad.

Like someone said, we need to strengthen that right side with a winger, otherwise this is not going to work. I assume we will sign Willian.. He wants three year deal.

khaled_a_d

Our defense becomes real suspect without Semedos defensive effort though

Thing is, his defensive contributions has decreased a lot after the break, Setien plays him as RW more often than not and he leaves ton of space behind him.
If we continue this type of game then Cancelo is better fit.

Messi983

So in a week we've come from extending Semedo's contract to again including him in a swap deal? :lol:

Albert Roge is usually pretty reliable when it comes to Barca B/La Masia news but not so much with the first team. So I don't fully believe these rumours. Not saying it can't happen though as I believe the club is still considering different options on the market and they'll do so for the next few weeks until the season will officially end.

I'm not fully sold on either Cancelo nor Garcia. I wouldn't mind either of them but just think there are better options available (or at least players I'd prefer to get before those two). And OTOH I really like Emerson and would like to give him a chance in 2021 (he should get one more season of regular playing time at Betis before coming back) so I'd prefer to keep Semedo/Roberto for next season and address other needs we have this transfer window. Then bring Emerson back and sell Semedo or move Roberto to midfield full time.

Messi983

^^^^ Yeah, it is solid offer.
Though I still prefer a quicker CB tbh.

The same. But we maybe already have that quicker CB in Araujo.

One problem I have with Garcia is both him and Araujo are still pretty inexperienced at the top level. Pique and Lenglet will surely stay starters next season and luckily they've both proven to be very durable (now I've probably jinxed them) so they won't suffer longterm injuries but if that happens could either one of Garcia or Araujo immediately step up?

Another thing with having two young backups (and with none of them being ready to break into the starting lineup) at the position is we need to give them both enough minutes to develop. Now with smart rotations Setien (or whoever our coach will be) this could work. I could be totally wrong but I believe amongst the "unbenchable" veterans Pique is the most likely to accept more rotations (either being subbed off more - with 5 subs we could afford that in games we lead comfortable - or not starting against every small team) without causing too much problems in the locker room.

Home of Barca Fans