Luis Enrique's 99 matches as FC Barcelona manager

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
And here it is

100-games-luis-enrique-1454673533065.jpg

There isn't even room for discussion there, better win %, less draws AND losses, better goals in favour, less goals against .. compared to anyone !!

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

Incredible! And to think it was only just over a year ago that people were calling for his head

I was one of them :notme: (though I still believe the mini-crisis last year was a necessary evil in the grand scheme of things).

PS : damn you Athletic! grrr.

Last edited:

aaron101

Lucho is so good that we all forgot when was the last time we conceded a goal from a set piece, specially from a corner

xXKonan

Lucho is so good that we all forgot when was the last time we conceded a goal from a set piece, specially from a corner
Every now and then I re watch some old matches during the Tata era and every time we have a corner it was pretty much a 80% chance we would concede a goal. :lol:

I remember Tata complained about the only way we could stop conceding from corners is if our players grew taller. :lol:

aaron101

Haha, true. Those were bad times with Tata.

Remember those times with Pep, Tito and Tata? Almost every week, we always concede from a corner. We also have more brain farts from the back and conceding the stupidest goals. Look where we are now. Conceding less. I always feed confident whenever we are defending a corner. Every time the opponent gets a corner, we always win the aerial battle and the ball always gets cleared right away by Pique (credit goes to Pique too for a much improved aerial skills). On those era, I always feel nervous when we're up by 1 goal and the opponent gets a corner late in the game. So awesome that now, we score more, concede less!

Last edited:

aaron101

Every now and then I re watch some old matches during the Tata era and every time we have a corner it was pretty much a 80% chance we would concede a goal. :lol:

I remember Tata complained about the only way we could stop conceding from corners is if our players grew taller. :lol:

Haha Tata was right at that time though. That's the reason why Lucho acquired Mathieu (he's very good on winning aerial battle) and Vermaelen even when everyone disagrees. With the height reinforcements and right defensive set piece tactics, we managed to solve the problem.

By the way, going back to my question; when was really the last time we conceded a set piece goal? I can't really remember. The only one I remember is the one from Banega on Supercup.

Last edited:

Alik

Remember those times with Pep, Tito and Tata? Almost every week, we always concede from a corner. We also have more brain farts from the back and conceding the stupidest goals. Look where we are now. Conceding less. I always feed confident whenever we are defending a corner. Every time the opponent gets a corner, we always win the aerial battle and the ball always gets cleared right away by Pique (credit goes to Pique too for a much improved aerial skills). On those era, I always feel nervous when we're up by 1 goal and the opponent gets a corner late in the game. So awesome that now, we score more, concede less!

To be honest, our corner defending abilities with Tata made me forget whatever problems we might have had in that regard with Tito and Pep :lol:

Haha Tata was right though at that time though. That's the reason why Lucho acquired Mathieu (he's very good on winning aerial battle) and Vermaelen even when everyone disagrees. With the height reinforcements and right defensive set piece tactics, we managed to solve the problem.

Well, considering that our full strength lineup still consists of Alves-Pique-Mascherano-Alba, our improvements are almost entirely due to tactics and Pique's massive improvement. (Or maybe Bravo/Ter Stegen are also just that much better than Valdes at defending corners).

By the way, going back to my question; when was really the last time we conceded a set piece goal? I can't really remember. The only one I remember is the one from Banega on Supercup.

Yeah, I can only remember it was with MATS in goals, when we were off-form at the beginning of season.

By the way, if anyone could share a comparison of the number of corners we have conceded over the seasons, I think that would be pretty interesting to look at too.

Horatio

You're welcome
Do you think he will be able to reach 'best Barca coach' status among the general crowd?
More involved people will probably consider that previous coach had lesser means to perform.

Sorin

What a turnaround from 1 year ago when he was almost dismissed. Unjustly, as every manager should at least have a year in charge before considering getting the boot. Only mediocre and relegation form should be considered as counts of dismissal.

But yeah, him and his staff deserve massive credit for getting the best out of almost everyone. Many will talk about MSN trio but imo, the hand of Lucho/Unzue is seen in defence where Pique and Alves were back to their absolute best, the set pieces are no more reasons to shit skyscrapers worth of bricks etc. He also developed Roberto in a damn fine jack of all trades. He's been fecking brilliant.

The only pet peeve i have is that he ignored some kids from La Masia. There was a period in the autumn when our mids were falling like flies and i'm sure he could've given a chance to Samper, Gumbau against some teams from the second part of the table.

Congrats Lucho and may you stay another 10 years at Barca. :hooray:

F

Flavia

[tw]696318736047992834[/tw]

There's an interesting table of stats in the article.

ejuventus

helped by the whole Barça system (roster and society) but he's been very clever in managing psycologically and tactically the MSN

it wasn't granted that Suarez would have matched so well with the other two

MasChe

that makes all clear,

but Rijkaard's years are wrong

If you're referring to time period 2003-05, I believe statistics is showing in which period did each of them managed Barça for 100 games. For Lucho it would then be 2014-16.

Home of Barca Fans