Mavericky Puig

mc_lovin

There was an analysis of the Betis game on twitter and a comparison between Gavi and Puig in particular... long story short Puig has no positional sense, which just gets very apparent when you directly compare him to Gavi.

Bobo32

There was an analysis of the Betis game on twitter and a comparison between Gavi and Puig in particular... long story short Puig has no positional sense, which just gets very apparent when you directly compare him to Gavi.

If you're going to bring it up, please bring the link.
The video posted is not complete with all Puigs touches, but check how he each and every time was in a good space, and also delivered the ball to a player with good space and time.
Statistically, Puig played 55mins and Gavi played 35. Puig attempted 45 passes, missing 2 and Gavi attempted 16 and missed none. Nico missed 4 of his 33 attempts, playing a few minutes more than Puig...
Click around here to see the stats for yourself: https://fbref.com/en/matches/268dc2a6/Barcelona-Real-Betis-December-4-2021-La-Liga

I am curious to see the analysis, the earlier attempts I have seen has been very disappointing to say the least, and I expect this to be more of the same, because I watched the game and him in particular pretty closely.

He combined with Busquets well a few times but to little effect, that's one of my worries with Puig. There's looking nice and stylish but that has to come with a level of effectiveness otherwise you're looking good for the sake of looking good. Hopefully we can see a larger sample size of minutes with him so it can be seen whether he improves the team or not. I also want to see some positional discipline from him, it's great he wants to close down intensely but you can't sacrifice the shape of the team, or leave a dangerous man available in exchange for that. I don't remember seeing that against Betis so perhaps that's just been his sub appearances where he's looking to impress.

Even with this improved performance of his I still have him as 5th-6th choice midfielder with everyone available.

Ok, it's nice that you agree he looks stylish and nice at least, I too want a larger sample size. I am not too into this player to change my mind btw, I loved Iniesta when he broke through, and I always loved him (Platonically rather than Aristotelesically!) but I had a lot of critique for him in his last years at Barcelona...

The goal was due to Puig being a bit late in the press, then Alba did the same, and then Lenglet/de Jong were too late to even get into the press. The goal was partly on Puig - but the big point is that him and Alba were both supposed to run into the press and leave space behind, it was just that Betis did brilliantly.

Last edited:

iniestaGOAT

You just ignor the posts praising Puig they have no idea what they are talking about. Low football IQ like the player.

Home of Barca Fans