Mavericky Puig

JamDav1982

Depends on what you mean by "make it". I meant becoming a top player. Sure, he can have a decent career somewhere else, like Betis or whatever. It's just that very few teams out there play like Barca, and Puig has a certain style that doesn't fit most other teams.

He should still go on loan and get more playing time as long as Koeman is here.

Play at a top level team and not fail due to physical limitations etc.

If that is issue he wont make it at Barca either as a first team player.

Barca style is not that different these days as others chase same type of players and want to play with ball for most part.

mc_lovin

Its utterly ridiculous to think top La Masia players who make it here wont make it elsewhere (or the other way around). We are talking Thiago, Fabregas, Iniesta, Xavi level. Not Alena, Samper etc pp level.

Bobo32

Depends on what you mean by "make it". I meant becoming a top player. Sure, he can have a decent career somewhere else, like Betis or whatever. It's just that very few teams out there play like Barca, and Puig has a certain style that doesn't fit most other teams.

Yeah, just as Busquets wouldn't make it if he played for Valencia, doubt he'd have any caps then.
Xavi sat on the bench in Euro 2004, playing zero minutes, while his elders Albelda and Baraja played, and the one year younger Xabi Alonso got some playing time. This is the greatest midfielder ever, aged 24, not being able to play in a Spain that didn't get through the group stage.

I think Puig did the right thing staying over this season, obviously things must change until next season though.

serghei

Its utterly ridiculous to think top La Masia players who make it here wont make it elsewhere (or the other way around). We are talking Thiago, Fabregas, Iniesta, Xavi level. Not Alena, Samper etc pp level.

It's not. Cruyff said this about Iniesta and Guardiola. It's easy to look at Iniesta AFTER he became world-class and a Ballon d'Or level player and project him at some other team. But if he was at some other team at the wrong time, he could've very well turned out half the player.

Yeah, just as Busquets wouldn't make it if he played for Valencia, doubt he'd have any caps then.
Xavi sat on the bench in Euro 2004, playing zero minutes, while his elders Albelda and Baraja played, and the one year younger Xabi Alonso got some playing time. This is the greatest midfielder ever, aged 24, not being able to play in a Spain that didn't get through the group stage.

I think Puig did the right thing staying over this season, obviously things must change until next season though.

Good example. Who knows what would've happened to Busi if Pep doesn't put him next to Xavi and Iniesta and benches Yaya. Same with Pedro and many other players.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

It's not. Cruyff said this about Iniesta and Guardiola. It's easy to look at Iniesta AFTER he became world-class and a Ballon d'Or level player and project him at some other team. But if he was at some other team at the wrong time, he could've very well turned out half the player.

Good example. Who knows what would've happened to Busi if Pep doesn't put him next to Xavi and Iniesta and benches Yaya. Same with Pedro and many other players.

Iniesta level players would be top player at any club if given chances which he would have been. Same with Xavi. Maybe not seen as all time great but he didnt need Barca style to be world class.

Even then it doesnt apply to Puig as he wont be a player that falls through gaps unnoticed and majority of top clubs chase the best technical players now more than ever above physicality.

mc_lovin

It's not. Cruyff said this about Iniesta and Guardiola. It's easy to look at Iniesta AFTER he became world-class and a Ballon d'Or player and project him at some other team. But if he was at some other team at the wrong time, he could've very well turned out half the player.

I think the magic of La Masia (back then) was that they actively gone for small, technical youth players and developed them properly (English teams wouldnt have touched them for example). Post graduation (with 20-21) the top La Masia players would make it everywhere - like Iniesta. I think its absurd to think they wouldnt. Far too talented.

With Puig I am losing hope though. Doesnt strike me as a truly great talent anymore, especially looking at Pedri. Tough luck.

serghei

Iniesta level players would be top player at any club if given chances. Maybe not seen as all time great but he didnt need Barca style to be world class.

Even then it doesnt apply to Puig as he wont be a player that falls through gaps unnoticed and majority of top clubs chase the best technical players now more than ever.

Would he be given enough chances, in front of more powerful, athletic players, probably better more established players at the time, to develop properly? Probably not. Again, depends on the team, the manager's intuition and eye for talent, the style of that side etc.

He probably still is a top player, but nowhere near the player Barca made him. Anyway, the main point is Barca is by far the most likely to properly develop La Masia players. For a plethora of reasons.

Last edited:

Bobo32

I think the magic of La Masia (back then) was that they actively gone for small, technical youth players and developed them properly (English teams wouldnt have touched them for example). Post graduation (with 20-21) the top La Masia players would make it everywhere - like Iniesta. I think its absurd to think they wouldnt. Far too talented.

With Puig I am losing hope though. Doesnt strike me as a truly great talent anymore, especially looking at Pedri. Tough luck.

Was it any particular game where he disappointed you?
I rate him highly obviously, but even so he mostly surprises me positively the little time he gets. What did you expect of him before?

mc_lovin

Was it any particular game where he disappointed you?
I rate him highly obviously, but even so he mostly surprises me positively the little time he gets. What did you expect of him before?

Not any particular game, its all just impressions. He just loses the direct comparison with Pedri, who moves much better (defensively, uses his body better etc pp). I still like Puig and hope he stays though.

JamDav1982

Would he be given enough chances, in front of more powerful, athletic players, probably better more established players at the time, to develop properly? Probably not. Again, depends on the team, the manager's intuition and eye for talent, the style of that side etc.

He probably still is a top player, but nowhere near the player Barca made him. Anyway, the main point is Barca is by far the most likely to properly develop La Masia players. For a plethora of reasons.

Iniesta?

Yes he would have and did get chances with those players in team.

Again Puig is not unnoticed and is at a time where teams more than ever are crying out for techical players so doesnt apply to him in comparison anyway.

Plenty of inferior players came through at other clubs and showed their level and Iniesta would have done the same.

Joan

If he's indeed quality and fails to show it at Barca, he'll have plenty of smaller clubs to restart his career from. Betis comes to mind.

Samper was simply not good enough.

Home of Barca Fans