Javier Tebas (LFP President)

fergus90

It’s not just results, it’s the quality of players in the league and the fact that all the coaches of any quality are plying their trade elsewhere.

Tebas insisting with the FFP would be admirable if any other league cared at all, problem is they don’t.

Outside of Tebas control though is the pace of the games in Spain can be very slow, a lot of stop/starting as the refs are giving every silly cheap foul. Games regularly having 8+ mins stoppage time now. As a spectacle for a neutral it is not entertaining enough.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
It?s not just results, it?s the quality of players in the league and the fact that all the coaches of any quality are plying their trade elsewhere.

Tebas insisting with the FFP would be admirable if any other league cared at all, problem is they don?t.

Outside of Tebas control though is the pace of the games in Spain can be very slow, a lot of stop/starting as the refs are giving every silly cheap foul. Games regularly having 8+ mins stoppage time now. As a spectacle for a neutral it is not entertaining enough.

I can definitely agree that La Liga games are not as entertaining as say Bundesliga games, I myself rarely watch any other La Liga games these days other than our own, but I am not sure if this (entertaining or not, which is subjective in the end) is a valid yardstick in measuring or evaluating leagues' pecking order. Spanish football has been like that for a long time. For the same reason, quality of the players is also quite subjective in my opinion, I don't think the Spanish players are that great, perhaps Ligue 1 has more talents currently than anybody else, but I don't know if you can use that to argue that, say La Liga is behind Ligue 1, for example.

With regard to the FFP, we all agree that La Liga's controls are quite draconian, self-debilitating and quite extreme, but if I am not mistaken, I have heard that other leagues have their own versions of financial controls too (I recall being told by someone on this forum that Bundesliga clubs can't exceed certain amount in debt etc. and how Ligue 1 controls spending etc., not sure if they are true or not). However other than us which is obvious (we ourselves are to blame), I am not sure if La Liga's financial controls have significantly affected other La Liga clubs when it comes to signing players, or have detrimentally impacted their projects and prospects. For example, Betis was one of the other clubs that had problem registering players but so far this season they haven't been that bad at all.

Spanish coaches flocking to the EPL I can understand, the best league with the most exposure and the best paid too. But it is just England, they are not going to France, Italy or Germany, right?

khaled_a_d

It’s not just results, it’s the quality of players in the league and the fact that all the coaches of any quality are plying their trade elsewhere.

Tebas insisting with the FFP would be admirable if any other league cared at all, problem is they don’t.

I thought about that until I started watching other leagues this season.
Meh ,Liga is still 2nd best by some margin.

Watching ligue 1, Calcio or Bundesliga is sort of a masochistic act tbh. Even slower than Liga somehow
Just gap is getting wider to EPL.

ajnotkeith

I thought about that until I started watching other leagues this season.
Meh ,Liga is still 2nd best by some margin.

Watching ligue 1, Calcio or Bundesliga is sort of a masochistic act tbh. Even slower than Liga somehow
Just gap is getting wider to EPL.
3/4 Serie A teams made knockouts this year.
Even Bundesliga have Frankfurt becoming a good knockout team on top of Bayern.
Ligue 1 is just a one team league, but still, only Madrid made knockouts this year from Spain.

There isn't much to separate LaLiga from the other leagues now and you can argue it is 4th best.

Horatio

You're welcome
Ligue 1 is just a one team league, but still, only Madrid made knockouts this year from Spain.

There isn't much to separate LaLiga from the other leagues now and you can argue it is 4th best.

It's a bit early to draw conclusions in regards to Serie A. Inter finally has a decent team and Napoli has been doing exceptionally well this season. Last we trashed them. Sevilla been going through some rough time. For all we know next year 4 La Liga teams make it to knockout and 2 Serie A teams.

khaled_a_d

Sure, and last year CL winner and a semi-finalist were from Liga. Was it the top league?
It is a bit deeper than that tbh. Inter qualified over Barca but overall they don't have a better team, same with Milan (who didn't reach knockouts yet btw)

Birdy

First the quality of football determines which league is the best
and then the quality of individuals teams making up a league

Bundesliga is far better IMO than La Liga, despite being uncompetitive due to Bayern
Seria A and LL are more or less on par in my eyes as to football.

EPL is far ahead of every other league

Windhook

Some words from Laporta on Tebas:

"Tebas should be more concerned with the 1.5 million lost subscribers of La Liga and should work in that direction. Barca respect all measures and we are for financial control, but when you look at Premier League and La Liga, there's a huge gap."

Messigician

📌 La Liga insists that Bar?a reduces their salary bill from ?600M to ?400M in the summer and they will NOT be able to use the levers next summer! 👀

✅ FC Barcelona has 2 ways to do this:
- sell players or reduce their salaries
- additional income such as sponsors

jamrock

He's too busy tweeting to be a leader & address the revenue issues la Liga is having, any random guy off the street can cut expenses, revenue growth thou, that takes some actual intelligence & know how.

Windhook

It's the Robin Hood effect on Spanish clubs that keeps this guy relevant. Hardly doubt Sporting Gijon are concerned with La Liga's diminished revenues as long as there's good cash flow for their club. Weakened Real & Barca is good news for all.

Tebas is here to stay, because he's elected by all clubs in LFP. Sepp Blatter did that to win the presidency in 1998, promised the Third World countries to hold World Cup on their soil. Did that serve to popularize the sport? No. It was the techological progress and Internet that took football on another level. FIFA has hardly anything to do with it, but to make big cash from shady sponsorship deals.

serghei

It's the Robin Hood effect on Spanish clubs that keeps this guy relevant. Hardly doubt Sporting Gijon are concerned with La Liga's diminished revenues as long as there's good cash flow for their club. Weakened Real & Barca is good news for all.

Tebas is here to stay, because he's elected by all clubs in LFP. Sepp Blatter did that to win the presidency in 1998, promised the Third World countries to hold World Cup on their soil. Did that serve to popularize the sport? No. It was the techological progress and Internet that took football on another level. FIFA has hardly anything to do with it, but to make big cash from shady sponsorship deals.

So, a politician who's playing the numbers without much integrity. Great news. :lol:

FinBarcelonafan

If that's the attitude in the whole league, I don't see much future. Everyone should thrive to get better and make more cash/revenue/trophies.

khaled_a_d

Launched another full attack on EPL today.
Calling it a debt league, saying it isn't sustainable, saying Liga lost 250M in comparison to EPL 2B etc.

Then he went on, to say if we allowed EPL model,it will hurt fans owned clubs like Barca, RM & Bilbao.

Don't like him using those 3 clubs as execuse, when all 3 are basically against him and didn't sign CVC and even sued the league.

Home of Barca Fans