FC Barcelona Finances

Sooke

How/where did you get these numbers and what exactly they mean?

They mean how much we can save this summer from departing with this players. I am talking about the payroll book of Barcelona, not their transfer fees.
Where did I get this numbers? Do some research and you will get this information for yourself. Players contract length, their annual salaries and the remaining amounts from the deals. It's not that hard.

Messi983

Seems like Sportac salaries?! Probably along amortization

Yeah, I've figured that much out although I'm always taking reported wages with some reservations. Salaries are not public so usually just a good guess and people also mix up gross and net wages. Reported wages are often also including flexibles/add-ons that are mostly tied to winning titles which we are not doing in last few years so at least we've saved some money here I guess (but of course we'd get much more in return if we'd win La Liga, not even mentioning CL).

Also in case of Umtiti AFAIK he was one of the players whose value was fully depreciated when Laporta's board took over so his value on the books is close to 0 (as is his realistic market value). And after extending his contract he'll only be on like 6m gross next year. I know we'll eventually have to pay him out the rest of his contract but that loss will go into the 2023-24 (and possibly further seasons) seasons. Don't think the club actually expects to sell him this summer, the best we can hope for would be to loan him and another club covering big part of his wages (and this will be easier if his wages next season will be 6m instead of 14m or whatever he was on before) and having a low buy option if he actually stays fit and they decide to buy him.

Andresito

Staff member
Helps us cover many losses. But in the future, I wonder how much potential income we lose by selling 49%.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Helps us cover many losses. But in the future, I wonder how much potential income we lose by selling 49%.

Good question, we simply don't know. The club projected at the end of 2020 that BLM would grow from 55.28m in 2020-2021 to 103.63m in 2024-2025, that would have been like growing twice as large in 5 years. However, that projection was made when Messi was still here and COVID was thought to only have a short-term impact, so these numbers will most likely be adjusted downwards. As a matter of fact BLM's revenue last season dropped by 60% to around 22m only.

It was reported that the 200m was less than what was initially offered (when Messi was here etc.), understandably so. I think we have no choice but to take it. I think the good thing is that the 49% stake is being sold to a consortium led by Fanatics, which is a huge American retailer in the sports industry and they must have better expertise etc. to help us grow BLM at a higher rate than we would have done so, if everything were to stay inhouse, that's the hope. Since they own 49% of BLM, it will be their incentives to grow the pie much bigger so they can benefit from it. It is almost like the CVC deal La Liga clubs took.

What I wonder is if we will have any rights for a buyback.

Catta

Bartomeu said he woukd have sold it for double with buyback to keep Messi

Interesting

Barto can talk all he wants, how he would do this and that. He had his chance and showed his competence while he was at the club. Barca wouldn't be in this situation if it weren't for him. If he had any shame he would crawl under a rock and stay silent.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Not sure if the rumor of negotiating with Polkadot for 20m a year is legit or not. We shouldn't expect anything less, considering Chelsea just signed with WhaleFin (which will be Atletico's main shirt sponsor starting next season, at 42m a year) as a sleeve sponsor for 22m a year.

Looks like is too late for the home jersey release anyways.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
MD says the BLM deal could be higher than 200m but we might not get a buyback and an expiration date.

I'd rather take the 200m with a buyback and expiration date. At the very least with a buyback. Should not let it out of our hands forever.

Messi983

MD says the BLM deal could be higher than 200m but we might not get a buyback and an expiration date.

I'd rather take the 200m with a buyback and expiration date. At the very least with a buyback. Should not let it out of our hands forever.

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futb.../objetivo-blm-barca-studios-400-millones.html

MD has more details today. BLM would be sold for 10 years. Doesn't say how much we'd have to pay to buy it back and how much incomes BLM (and Barca Studios for that matter) generate yearly for the club. Anyone knows that?

Club also plans to sell 49% of Barca studios for 200m. So we would get a total of 400m. Half of that would go to clear the club's debt, the other half would serve as incomes to finish this season with profit and have liquidity to invest in the team.

Also mentioned that signing the CVC deal is not a priority for now.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futb.../objetivo-blm-barca-studios-400-millones.html

MD has more details today. BLM would be sold for 10 years. Doesn't say how much we'd have to pay to buy it back and how much incomes BLM (and Barca Studios for that matter) generate yearly for the club. Anyone knows that?

Club also plans to sell 49% of Barca studios for 200m. So we would get a total of 400m. Half of that would go to clear the club's debt, the other half would serve as incomes to finish this season with profit and have liquidity to invest in the team.

Also mentioned that signing the CVC deal is not a priority for now.

I haven't seen any numbers for Barca Studios but I'd guess they are still at a very early stage, like many other media and entertainment companies were at one point, burning a lot of money and not having a comparable revenue yet. Potential is there.

As to BLM, it generated around 60m for us during 19/20 and only 22m last season, mostly due to COVID.

Messi983

As to BLM, it generated around 60m for us during 19/20 and only 22m last season, mostly due to COVID.

So let's say around 40m average per year (we'll probably need years to get back to the pre-covid level, Ukraine crisis could also have negative longterm impact). 400m in 10 years.

200m to Barca, 200m to Fanatics.

This would add up well for the club but I'm sure Fanatics count on BLM bringing them much higher revenues in coming years.

Either way, we had to do something and I think longterm the club will still lose less money than by signing the CVC deal under current terms.

Porque

Tebas said we can't sign Lewandowski even with the BLM deal. Obviously has his agenda to make us succumb to the CVC.

De Laurentitties said we haven't made an approach for Koulibaby and that we have no money (it was a loaded question by Gerardo Moreno tbh and he bit it).

So, I don't think we can afford 80m for Tchoumeni as some have suggested we could easily. It looks like it is going to be another penny pinching summer to regulate finances. The team overperforming (despite the setbacks) since Xavi arrived gave enough breathing room to mask and make many forget how dire the situation was last summer, and how dire it still is.

Now, if we can find a club to help us with the financial structure, hell, Monaco gave Mbappe on a year long loan to PSG to get around FFP (though it probably involved some briefcases in Qatar to Romanov), so if we are creative we may be able to pull off another Ferran.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Tebas always says no to whatever we do, don't know if he is right or not. If we selling 49% of BLM or Barca Studios, that should be considered income.

I think the key to any new signings would be to sell players.

Home of Barca Fans