Leroy Sane

Porque

Looked like Barto's signings in these two matches.

Both him and Koman.

Anyway, as the gap between big and small teams is getting larger each season, there are more and more players like Sane, Koman, Mats, Frenkie who look awesome against weak domestic opponents and who are horrible against stronger European opponents.

There will be more and more of these La Liga/BL/Seria A merchants.

Remind me who scored the winner in the CL final last year. I'm having amnesia.

Joan

There are players who usually show up against bigger teams.
Players who sometimes show up.

And players who rarely, almost never, do but still look good against average opponents.

It's the latter BBZ talks about and I tend to agree there are more of them due to the gap rising and it getting increasingly harder to spot early which group a player belongs to.

mc_lovin

This whole choking in big games is a complete myth for me. Pretty much every worldclass player shows up when the team is good enough. Suarez, Robben, Ronaldo, Messi and so many more genuinely great players had that "loser" tag at some point in their careers. Until, surprise, their team was on par. Messi in 2019 was probably the only one I remember truly carrying a "subpar" team.

Not that Sane or Coman are worldclass players though.

Horatio

You're welcome
Of course choking is not a big myth. The pressure can get into the players head. Can make them miss chances they otherwise wouldn't.

Vilarrubi

That’s first time I’ve watched him play for ages but looked better at City. Probably harsh to judge him on that one game though.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Even a player as great and consistent like Messi failed to show up in the CL many times, how can we demand players to show up consistently against stronger European opponents, generally?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Even a player as great and consistent like Messi failed to show up in the CL many times, how can we demand players to show up consistently against stronger European opponents, generally?

No, but we can demand their decision making not to be so erratic and amateurish more than 50% of the time.

FWIW I don't know what Bayern are thinking playing Sane as a RW. He's not the type of winger that will cut in from the right flank. Need to be played on the other side.

Laplacian

Looks like he's back to normal after moving back to the LW position. Good to see one of my favorite wingers retrieve his form after a horrid year long injury and an underwhelming first season at Bayern.

fergus90

He's always fluctuated between top-class or barely resembling a professional footballer. The fifth season in a row he's exited the CL QF apparently.

Home of Barca Fans