West Ham

Catalan Fan

Since when has the British taxpayer started funding Premier League stadiums ? I honestly don't get this shit.

The Olympic stadium originally cost around £500m, mostly paid for by the taxpayer.
The redevelopment cost is around £200million, mostly paid for by the taxpayer.

West Ham have paid £15m of that, but will get at least £20m out of the Upton Park sale to developers.They will pay £2.5m per season rent (99yr lease) but everything else is essentially free from policing, stewarding, maintenance, heating... down to the fucking goal posts and corner flags.

Any other team has to pay/fund their own new stadiums, yet the British taxpayer is paying for West Ham to have an essentially brand new, free 60,000 stadium with next to no running costs either !

You couldn't make this shit up.

I honestly don't know how this is legal.

Jenks

It had to go to someone. They do pay rent and addons based on how successful they are also, so eventually it will generate profit for the taxpayer.

Not within out lifetimes though... :lol:

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Since when has the British taxpayer started funding Premier League stadiums ? I honestly don't get this shit.

The Olympic stadium originally cost around £500m, mostly paid for by the taxpayer.
The redevelopment cost is around £200million, mostly paid for by the taxpayer.

West Ham have paid £15m of that, but will get at least £20m out of the Upton Park sale to developers.They will pay £2.5m per season rent (99yr lease) but everything else is essentially free from policing, stewarding, maintenance, heating... down to the fucking goal posts and corner flags.

Any other team has to pay/fund their own new stadiums, yet the British taxpayer is paying for West Ham to have an essentially brand new, free 60,000 stadium with next to no running costs either !

You couldn't make this shit up.

I honestly don't know how this is legal.

Would not this be state sponsorship?

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
It had to go to someone. They do pay rent and addons based on how successful they are also, so eventually it will generate profit for the taxpayer.

Not within out lifetimes though... :lol:

In other words, not a lot

Jenks

I'm pretty sure the deal was already investigated twice by an independence body. I don't see anything changing in future. It was either this or the stadium went on the scrap heap, because the costly refit was happening anyway and no one else was going to pay for it. West Ham don't own it, they rent it, so it'll still be used for other sporting events by the government.

Last edited:

Catalan Fan

I'm pretty sure the deal was already investigated twice by an independence body. I don't see anything changing in future. It was either this or the stadium went on the scrap heap, because the costly refit was happening anyway and no one else was going to pay for it. West Ham don't own it, they rent it, so it'll still be used for other sporting events by the government.

Yeah, n we're still paying for it.Not West Ham.

I get the argument that they needed a tenant, but Orient got shafted, so did Spurs.You also have to wonder why the LLDC fought tooth and nail for this information to be published.Actually you don't now, because the figures speak for themselves.

Tax payers pay £700 million, West Ham pay £15 million, plus basically free running costs for the next 99 yrs.Not to mention all the huge PL/tv revenue coming in next season.

Am not even anti West Ham, it's just such a piss take to other clubs looking to finance their own stadiums plus tax payers funding it all.

I'll leave it at that, winds me up too much lol.

EDIT; Was this the best deal they could secure for the tax payer ? Not in a million yrs... although that's probably when we will break even ;)

Last edited:

Jenks

The tax payer pays £200m for the West Ham refit. The rest of the work would have been done either way. Don't worry, in a century when we're all dead it'll be turning a profit for us :hooray:

Catalan Fan

All the revenue goes to West Ham, so 2 home games basically pays for a seasons rent.

Oh and the tax payer also pay for the turnstile operators..........

Catalan Fan

The tax payer pays £200m for the West Ham refit. The rest of the work would have been done either way. Don't worry, in a century when we're all dead it'll be turning a profit for us :hooray:

Jenks, it's a huge piss take, admit it ! and stop making me reply to this :lol:

Tax payer paid £700m........

Home of Barca Fans