Bernardo Silva

Bobo32

Now that I look, I see that he reached more than 10G + 10A in one of his seasons at City (13G+14A), otherwise he's pretty close to it almost every season, between 18-20 G+A in total over 50 games. I thought he'd be a bit lower.

But question remains whether he's benefitting from City's play or if he can go to any team and elevate them. That's the type of player we need after Frenkie having failed to do so. Especially when paying 80m. No more passengers/system players who heavily rely on how it looks around them.

Of course Valdes, Pique, Busquets, Xavi, Pedro and to a degree Iniesta were all "system players". Bernardo Silva is no Messi, but he is the best option possible - a player who can both play positional play from the middle, as well as decide games with his dribbling etc from the outside. He is potentially filling two gaps, improving two parts of what is needed in Barcelona.

He IS benefiting from City's play, as any decent player should, but he is also helping to build their play, and what Barcelona should look for is a return to a play where all players can benefit from the structure.
A player like Dembele for example is benefiting massively from Barcelonas current structure, but he is also destroying the structure at the same time.

Temptation

Now that I look, I see that he reached more than 10G + 10A in one of his seasons at City (13G+14A), otherwise he's pretty close to it almost every season, between 18-20 G+A in total over 50 games. I thought he'd be a bit lower.

But question remains whether he's benefitting from City's play or if he can go to any team and elevate them. That's the type of player we need after Frenkie having failed to do so. Especially when paying 80m. No more passengers/system players who heavily rely on how it looks around them.

Lmao
He's also moving to a weaker league which is even more suited to his qualities and skill set so the drop in the quality of the team will cancel out.

Also, if Barca improves next season, then it'll be even better.

Plus probably lesser rotation than Pep does.

jamrock

I think what Andresito is clearly asking is can he come into our team & excell or does he need to have the right team setup around him to do so, like Frankie, if that's the case it would be a side ways step, fair question to ask, no one can definitively answer it.

He's a baller that I'd take over De jong ever day of the week for sure.

Andresito

Staff member
Not only like Frenkie, but Coutinho a prime example as well. Moving to a "weaker" league, lol. As if players from Spanish league haven't been dominating in PL.

Andresito

Staff member
Of course Valdes, Pique, Busquets, Xavi, Pedro and to a degree Iniesta were all "system players". Bernardo Silva is no Messi, but he is the best option possible - a player who can both play positional play from the middle, as well as decide games with his dribbling etc from the outside. He is potentially filling two gaps, improving two parts of what is needed in Barcelona.

He IS benefiting from City's play, as any decent player should, but he is also helping to build their play, and what Barcelona should look for is a return to a play where all players can benefit from the structure.
A player like Dembele for example is benefiting massively from Barcelonas current structure, but he is also destroying the structure at the same time.

Is Casemiro a system player? If you put prime Casemiro with Xavi and Iniesta, or prime Busquets with Modric and Kroos, who do you think suffers most? Just because a player has a certain playing style doesn't mean he's a system player. Not going to argue about this whole system player thing though, been done before.

I like Bernardo too. Always amazed by technically superior players who work extremely hard and can dominate big games. I usually don't watch Portugal, but is he as influential and productive there?

Bobo32

Is Casemiro a system player? If you put prime Casemiro with Xavi and Iniesta, or prime Busquets with Modric and Kroos, who do you think suffers most? Just because a player has a certain playing style doesn't mean he's a system player. Not going to argue about this whole system player thing though, been done before.

I like Bernardo too. Always amazed by technically superior players who work extremely hard and can dominate big games. I usually don't watch Portugal, but is he as influential and productive there?

That is one aspect of it too, most technically brilliant players don't work that hard. De Bruyne has got that too, but I don't think he is as good as Bernardo when it comes to this argument I made - KdB is wasting the ball too often for my liking, trying to decide games. Bernardo Silva is very balanced in his decisions.

Not sure what your point about Casemiro is - I think both midfields would be great still, but I don't think Casemiro-Xavi-Iniesta would ever be remembered as the best of all time - maybe the Busquets-Modric-Kroos would. Casemiro is a player who stands on his own, but he is not a legendary player who can help build a really legendary team.

Barcilliant

That is one aspect of it too, most technically brilliant players don't work that hard. De Bruyne has got that too, but I don't think he is as good as Bernardo when it comes to this argument I made - KdB is wasting the ball too often for my liking, trying to decide games. Bernardo Silva is very balanced in his decisions.

Not sure what your point about Casemiro is - I think both midfields would be great still, but I don't think Casemiro-Xavi-Iniesta would ever be remembered as the best of all time - maybe the Busquets-Modric-Kroos would. Casemiro is a player who stands on his own, but he is not a legendary player who can help build a really legendary team.

Lmao 😆😆

Casemiro better than Busquets anyday. Busquets is probably the most overrated player in Barcelona history. Even at his peak he was a prick and could be exposed. Look at what Inter did in the first game under Mou in the SF . Busquets consistently exposed. Second game he goes to ground grabbing his face like he was shot. Asshole who was good when Xaviesta were around. Fucking hell, Rakitic had to put in a double shift to cover for sloth Biscuits.

Catta

So now Busi is the reason why Xavi and Iniesta were legendary. But the funny thing is, the clubs best season was with Yaya as a DM behind them. Real wouldn't have won even half the CLs they have won if they had Busi instead of Casemiro.

I still stand that the clubs biggest mistake in the 21st century was getting rid of Yaya and Eto'o. We would have had at least 2 more CLs if those two stayed.

Porque

Bobo has a point though. There was a Spain game in the recent international window where Gavi was getting all the plaudits, yet Busquets led the team in passes,metres and interceptions.

His anticipation and interceptions are excellent. But he success immensely in the long space game and when our lines are broken.

Mostly because we are not moving in attack and defence as a unit, but also we lack the individual pace and positioning across the backline and forward line. Without those the midfield will always suffer and Busquets the scapegoat of it all.

Casemiro wouldn't fair any better.

vegitot

Iniesta never hit those numbers though.

vegitot

So now Busi is the reason why Xavi and Iniesta were legendary. But the funny thing is, the clubs best season was with Yaya as a DM behind them. Real wouldn't have won even half the CLs they have won if they had Busi instead of Casemiro.

I still stand that the clubs biggest mistake in the 21st century was getting rid of Yaya and Eto'o. We would have had at least 2 more CLs if those two stayed.

What about 10/11 and 14/15???

Andresito

Staff member
Iniesta never hit those numbers though.

He was effective in other ways though. It's either that type of Iniesta offensive influence or more of a directly measurable one with goals and assists (which imo should be minimum 10+10) we should expect from an 80m player. If Bernardo could do either of those at current Barcelona then I say go for it.

vegitot

He was effective in other ways though. It's either that type of Iniesta offensive influence or more of a directly measurable one with goals and assists (which imo should be minimum 10+10) we should expect from an 80m player. If Bernardo could do either of those at current Barcelona then I say go for it.

When was the last time Barca's midfielder hit those numbers??? Xavi in 2011/2012. The closest one was Rakitic in 2014/15 (not double digit goal + assist though).

Xavi asks Pedri to reach these number next season though i don't think he will hit them.

Andresito

Staff member
When was the last time Barca's midfielder hit those numbers??? Xavi in 2011/2012. The closest one was Rakitic in 2014/15 (not double digit goal + assist though).

Xavi asks Pedri to reach these number next season though i don't think he will hit them.

Yeah well back then we always had some guy(s) scoring for two or three in attack.

If we are to have a blunt attack, we need to spread out our goals, much like City who had 7 players with 10 or more goals this season. We don't have Salah, Mane, Jota or Vini, Benz or Lewa or Mbappe who score in bulk.

malvolio

LOL @ Casemiro being better than Busquets. He's a fucking butcher who would have a record number of red cards if he played for any other team.

Home of Barca Fans