Iniesta vs Zidane

StarLord

In my opinion, this is as redundant as the Messi vs CR7 debate, more of like a non-debate, with one player (Iniesta) being clearly superior to the other (Zidane) But since lots of deluded fans try to argue in Zidane's favor, let's play the little comparison out.

1) Iniesta pawns and owns Zidane outright in titles won. Both at club and international level. Basically has one extra Euro to Zidane, as well as 3 European Cups more than Zidane. As for lesser domestic trophies at club level, then the Iniesta supremacy over Zidane is even more thorough.

2) In terms of consistency, again Iniesta completely overwhelms the rather erratic ZZ. The Don had been consistently brilliant game in and game out for season after season for Barca. I think (and please correct me if I am wrong) that Zidane was never consistently good for Real Madrid, and maybe only for a couple of seasons with Juventus. He went missing too often for my liking.

3) In terms of memorable moments, the two are just about equal. Stamford Bridge and WC final 2010 for Iniesta, WC final 1998 and CL final 2002 for Zidane. Still, the Don's moments were more dramatic!

4) Both were big game players. Iniesta even more so though, I mean the list of big-ticket performances from the Don is extremely long. He has more than a dozen great performances in the CL knockout stages through the years, including semis and finals. He is the only Barcelona player to have played in all of our CL-winning finals, excelling in each and everyone. Has been great in many Clasicos as well, as well as countless tight league games for Barca. As for the Spanish national team, he has been great with since at least 2008, and the main man since 2010.

5) Zidane's main praiseworthy ability (along with his big-game displays) was his imaginative creativity and elegance with the ball. Well, unfortunately for his die-hard fans, Iniesta tops him in this area as well. Zidane may have had the better vision and better long balls, but on everything else, Iniesta is simply streets ahead: first touch, control, dribbling, tight spaces etc...

I feel that much of Zidane's legend is partly down to post-evental myth-making and nostalgia. It is often said for example, that ZZ guided France to 1998 World Cup glory, something that is simply false as he was quite anonymous for the duration of the tournament until the final. It is also often said that he guided a very poor France to the World Cup final of 2006. Again, this could not be further from the truth as that France was stacked with top-quality players throughout (Henry, Ribery, Makelele, Abidal, Lizarazu, Sagnol, Vieira etc)

Moreover, Zidane's (lesser) career has long ended, while the Don may indeed have more Champions Leagues or European Championships (maybe even one more World Cup) to come.

What are your thoughts on this matter?

mobster_1930

Zidane is one of the best midfielders ever, no doubt about it. That red card and headbutting in 06' WC final somehow gave him even more of a cult status. For a player that is considered one of the best of all time, you would expect more titles in 5 years with Madrid than just 1 La Liga and 1 CL. I actually think his prime years were with Juventus tbh.

The thing with people mentioning him as one of the best ever is mostly down to nostalgia and myth-making as you said. He wasn't consistently brilliant really much, I remember I actually felt bad for him how anonymous he was during his last two years with RMA as I was witnessing Galacticos being ripped apart by Ronnie and co. People who rate him among Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Beckenbauer are always keeping us on notice that he won every title that can be won. That's true. Well, guess who has even won more titles and was more consistent throughout his career ? Both Xavi and Iniesta. Iniestas inclusion in the second half of CL final in 06' was crucial in Barca winning, he bossed in other three finals - Rome, London and Berlin.

Just watching him as 21, 22 year old during Rijkaards second and third year, we could have seen how fantastic he was. I would pick him instead of Zidane every time. But Zidane is so cool and Iniesta is kinda boring, right ?

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Both are up there. Zidane's memory kinda fades and Iniesta just won the treble, so it's unfair to compare.
Iniesta will always be my favorite for the obvious reasons and I'll leave it at that.

Richard.H

I also agree that Zidane has a huge cult following, mainly because he is seen as that badass type of character.

He is one of the best midfielders in history but it would be a crime to put him above Iniesta and Xavi. Both of these players were completely revolutionary midfielders who led both Spain and Barca to multiple titles. Zidane at his peak was a beautiful thing to watch, but at the end of the day, I rather pick consistency which Iniesta has displayed throughout the years.

Of course many non-Barca fans wouldn't pick Iniesta/ Xavi over Zidane and mainly because they don't give a crap about titles/statistics and watch a lot of Youtube vids to base their opinions on.

khaled_a_d

This is a Barca forum,tbh we are as biased as it can be in this discussion :lol:
I like Iniesta more overall BUT One thing that gives Zidane the edge IMO is that he was actually a goalscoring threat .sure Iniesta scored the most important goal in the history of his country and one of the most important goals in our history ,but Zidane was always a threat to score the game than Don Andres .both using eye test and stats analysis
One Area Zidane is overrated is his 1998 World Cup,he could have been considered the flop of the tournament if it wasn't for the final against Brazil .it is huge game and everything but it doesn't mean he has a gr8 WC as some of his fans claim

It is also often said that he guided a very poor France to the World Cup final of 2006. Again, this could not be further from the truth as that France was stacked with top-quality players throughout (Henry, Ribery, Makelele, Abidal, Lizarazu, Sagnol, Vieira etc)

Gold :lol:
Lost all credibility there.

DrPepper

Gold :lol:
Lost all credibility there.

Yep, France's team in 2006 was honestly not that good (then again look at Portugal and Germany who also weren't that impressive), but other than that I believe his points were spot on.

It's really much about myths and his swansong in the World Cup final against Italy and Materazzi. Even heard people saying that Zidane alone carried Los Galacticos; a team that during Zidane's time there pretty much underachieved (1 La Liga + 1 CL in 6 years) while having players like Ronaldo, Raul, Makelele, Guti, Beckham, Figo, Hierro or Roberto Carlos.

Today we hear people talking about crisis every time Messi or Ronaldo fail to score in two consecutive matches or sometimes even in one. I feel as if expectation have become much higher today compared to 15 years ago when it was a lot more difficult to actually watch football matches as internet streaming wasn't an option which also means that myth making was easier back then due to lack of information.

Nowadays, people are constantly judging. See Barcaforum for example where there are dozens of pages of discussion whenever Messi has a bad game. Was there something similar 15 years ago when the "best player in the world" had bad matches? I don't think so.

consensus would be that iniesta had the better career, the most consistency, better short passing
zidane was the better dribbler (room for argument there i suppose), defender and goal threat.

Both were big game players and sublimely elegant

zidane was absolutely fucking crucial in 2006.

khaled_a_d

Yep, France's team in 2006 was honestly not that good (then again look at Portugal and Germany who also weren't that impressive), but other than that I believe his points were spot on.

It's really much about myths and his swansong in the World Cup final against Italy and Materazzi. Even heard people saying that Zidane alone carried Los Galacticos; a team that during Zidane's time there pretty much underachieved (1 La Liga + 1 CL in 6 years) while having players like Ronaldo, Raul, Makelele, Guti, Beckham, Figo, Hierro or Roberto Carlos.

Today we hear people talking about crisis every time Messi or Ronaldo fail to score in two consecutive matches or sometimes even in one. I feel as if expectation have become much higher today compared to 15 years ago when it was a lot more difficult to actually watch football matches as internet streaming wasn't an option which also means that myth making was easier back then due to lack of information.

Nowadays, people are constantly judging. See Barcaforum for example where there are dozens of pages of discussion whenever Messi has a bad game. Was there something similar 15 years ago when the "best player in the world" had bad matches? I don't think so.

I don't think France wasn't good ,they probably had the 3rd best squad after Italy & Brazil who totally underperformed
France was far from one man show ,Henry was huge for them ,Ribery and Malouda was no scrubs
.same for the 2 DMs and their defense was very solid
In the knockouts they have conceded only 2 goals in 4 matches while scoring just 6 goals ,with 1 goal per game since quarter finals .they won by defensive organization b4 anything
Zidane was gr8 on that tournament ,no argument their .but he had very good team supporting him just like any player who played in the World Cup final

what gets overlooked here is that zidane got the team to this level. Came out of international retirement along with Thuram and Makelele. France struggled in the group stage (drew switzerland and south korea) then all media reported how the dressing room abandoned loonie Domenech and turned to Zidane before the knock out rounds. And the team looked nothing like the group stages once those began.
Huge leadership on and off the pitch. Messi subbed on against PSG in 2013 was the same type of magic.

Last edited:

ceefoo

I don't you'd find one culé that would swap a 'Prime Iniesta' for a 'Prime Zidane'. Okay, maybe one, there's always one. :D

But ask the reverse question: How man Madridistas would swap Zidane for Iniesta? I think there would be more in Iniesta's favour. That is the mark of the man.

Dat touch tho! :ohmy: :tata:

ceefoo

re: Zidane in 2006 WC.

Although France had many excellent individuals, they weren't functioning as a team as you'd expect. Much like todays Argentina. Remember, they did have a cabbage of a manager in Domenech.

I remember his match vs Brazil as one the best individual performances I have ever seen at a WC. He ran rings around the Brazil players that day in Germany. :popcom: He was majestic, and a massive part of France reaching the final. I don't think they would have achieved it without him.

Barcafan 2304

ZZ was a great player, no doubts about that. Got to give credit where it's due. However, I wouldn't swap any of the beautiful football that I have witnessed watching Barcelona and the likes of Iniesta have been absolutely crucial to this unforgettable era in this clubs history.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
I think they're as good as eachother. Can't really say one was better than the other. Though iniesta's consistency is hard to match and for that reason I'd rather have him in my team.

Home of Barca Fans