Sergio Busquets

Sailor Mars

He's very slick with the ball. He is suited to this type of game against lower Liga opponents.

Should be used a bit more like Xavi was in the 14-15 season. Subbed on in the middle of the 2nd half.

Bobo32

He is obviously suited and needed in games like these, just no arguing there. I think he is equally needed against better teams as well, but I at least see how you'd think differently.
Xavi should've been used more his last seasons.

MTL_Barca

Even today Xavi would probably still have some good games against weaker la liga teams as well. Against tougher opponents Busi gets exposed time and time again.

Rory

He is obviously suited and needed in games like these, just no arguing there. I think he is equally needed against better teams as well, but I at least see how you'd think differently.
Xavi should've been used more his last seasons.

No arguing in your head but plenty of valid arguments to be had otherwise. Team was better when Pjanic came off and the double pivot was Pedri - Frenkie.

Bobo32

No arguing in your head but plenty of valid arguments to be had otherwise. Team was better when Pjanic came off and the double pivot was Pedri - Frenkie.

Team was best after Busquets came in.
I have never argued in favour of Pjanic

Rory

Team was best after Busquets came in.
I have never argued in favour of Pjanic

I didn?t say you argued in favour of Pjanic, straw man. I?m saying the team was best after he went off and before Busquets came on. That was the real difference maker. Scored the first goal (the hardest and most important) before Busquets was on. Then the 2nd which killed the game off was nothing to do with Busquets and everything to do with Frenkie. You?re living in dreamland

Bobo32

It was after 2-0 Barcelona started to play a bit better.
It was a little bit better after Pjanic went out, but it was after 2-0 it became acceptable. As I wrote in the match thread, it probably had a little to do with Busquets, a little bit with the changing of formation, and a lot to do with being 2 goals up and thus being able to relax a bit.

Rory

It was after 2-0 Barcelona started to play a bit better.
It was a little bit better after Pjanic went out, but it was after 2-0 it became acceptable. As I wrote in the match thread, it probably had a little to do with Busquets, a little bit with the changing of formation, and a lot to do with being 2 goals up and thus being able to relax a bit.

You - "needed in games like these, just no arguing there"

Also you - "It was a little bit better after Pjanic went out", "a little bit with the changing of formation", "a lot to do with being 2 goals up and thus being able to relax a bit"

So basically it was very little to do with Busquets and a large combination of things which suggests the blanket statement "needed in games like these, just no arguing there" is to put it bluntly... a load of rubbish.

Bobo32

I don't build an opinion based on 25min, when I've watched Busquets for 12 years and all of the games this season under Koeman.
He is the only one able to deliver the ball correctly from defence to attack. If there are games where Barcelona can't control the ball enough that Busquets lack of pace becomes a problem, then you have a case against him. With 60-80% of the ball against a weaker opponent, I don't see the argument, but go on then.
The last 2 games go very much in line with my opinion, both in how the games looked and in the results, but this was not the argument.
Pjanic played like shit yesterday, and him going out was positive, but it was embarrasing watching the FdJ-Pedri duo try to buildup sometimes.

Rory

Ok then let's play someone at cdm who is 10% better on the ball in those areas but 50% worse in the physical requirements for that position. That'll end up well, especially in the champions league.

edit: and you're right FDJ's buildup play yesterday was dreadful. That busquets run to set messi up for his second was something FDJ could never do.

Wait a second!

Bobo32

Ok then let's play someone at cdm who is 10% better on the ball in those areas but 50% worse in the physical requirements for that position. That'll end up well, especially in the champions league.

Busquets won 3CL IIRC and he was not faster then.

fergus90

Busquets won 3CL IIRC and he was not faster then.

He was definitely much sharper back then though without a doubt. He was class at shifting and turning his body to move into space and keep the ball. That side of his game has drastically declined.

Home of Barca Fans