Sergio Busquets

Bobo32

I'm not saying that the philosophy of Barca can't work. I'm saying that any philosophy of a team, be it tiki-taka or anything else, is something you can think about AFTER you've got those basic building blocks in place.

Disciplin, physicality to match top level opponents, belief, spirit, alacrity. If we're blind to those things because we think we're above them, then we'll continue to get our asses handed every single year come knockout stages.

You have to have a clear vision of what you want to do, and set up your team accordingly

Busquets could never succeed in a team playing like this. He would be caught up just the same in 2011 if Barcelona instead of Pedro+Villa+Xavi+Iniesta played let's say Malouda+Ribery+Sneijder+Di Maria

Either you go with the tactic of controlling the ball, the tempo and the game, and then Busquets is the GOAT, or you try to play some other way and then Busquets is not even a first division player.
I would expect a bit more understanding of this from this forum, and a bit more appreciation for Busquets style.

JamDav1982

It's Bobo32, Xavi, Iniesta and all of Barcelonas coaches (as you know with quite differing styles) vs this forum and others of its type

Yes he looks slow, didn't Pedri or De Jong today?

Aye and look where it got those coaches in the CL in recent years.

Shite performance year after year with Busquets looking like a sub GK brought on to play DM any time he tries to move or takes 4/5 touches to slow game down to his pace.

Devils

He wouldn't even cut it in MLS teams lol.

This guy is a fossilized fossil.

Both Xavi and Iniesta were still miles above this guy when they made the decision to leave Barca. Yet this cat can't get a hint.

Richard.H

I cannot actually believe we are still having this discussion in 2021, it is absolute fucking madness.

The discussion has been over for about five years now. He should have stopped being a starter in either Lucho's last season or EV's first season. This club continues to make some puzzling mistakes. Won't be surprised if Laporta does everything possible to keep Alba, Busi, and Pique in the team.

fergus90

The discussion has been over for about five years now. He should have stopped being a starter in either Lucho's last season or EV's first season. This club continues to make some puzzling mistakes. Won't be surprised if Laporta does everything possible to keep Alba, Busi, and Pique in the team.

I think a large part of Busquets usefulness went when Xavi left. Busi was perfect for Barca then, knew where to position himself and let Xavi and Iniesta move about the pitch, he anchored that perfectly.

But when Xavi left, the midfield changed, we know longer dominated like we used to, he's exposed more than he's ever been. In fact I cannot really remember the last time we dominated a good team in midfield. Most of our good wins have come from brilliance in the attacking trio we were blessed with for a few years.

It's sad really because I'm starting to genuinely forget all the good times. It's similar to how Gooners felt about Wenger at Arsenal, all those glory years seem somewhat tainted after years of disappointment.

Rory

I think a large part of Busquets usefulness went when Xavi left. Busi was perfect for Barca then, knew where to position himself and let Xavi and Iniesta move about the pitch, he anchored that perfectly.

But when Xavi left, the midfield changed, we know longer dominated like we used to, he's exposed more than he's ever been. In fact I cannot really remember the last time we dominated a good team in midfield. Most of our good wins have come from brilliance in the attacking trio we were blessed with for a few years.

It's sad really because I'm starting to genuinely forget all the good times. It's similar to how Gooners felt about Wenger at Arsenal, all those glory years seem somewhat tainted after years of disappointment.

Yep and Busquets is a HUGE part of this downfall that isn't analysed much. He plays in such a pivotal area for the team. The area that is the first line of defence before the defence. The first one that should be stopping a counter attack. The first one that should be setting up a counter attack, the first one to win the ball for a counter. The pass or two before the assist. The list goes on. He doesn't manage any of these things and yet we have built multiple midfields around him for years, when in reality we should have been setting up for a different type of midfield.

Bobo32

This is pretty true
Busquets is dependent on those in front of him, just as Xavi always said he himself was.
Busquets played often out of position under Valverde, with you know what players in front of him. Paulinho, Vidal, Rakitic are good players, but how well do they use the balls they get? 1/3 they lose instantly, 1/3 they play back without realizing they could go forward, and 1/3 they try to play forward and do it well maybe 1/3 of that time...

Now Barcelona finally have one in Riqui Puig who positions himself in the right way, and who can do something with the ball. Wonder how many minutes they've got together...

xXKonan

When was the last time this guy actually put up a top-level season?

I'm so tired of people gassing up this guy because he puts up a "World Class" Performances against peasants but goes back to being shit against Strong teams. This guy should have been sent out the door years ago but managed to scam his way into another renewal because he's living off what he did under Pep and Lucho.

We told guys like Rakitic, Suarez, Vidal, etc to fuck off but you couldn't do it with Busi? it's really infuriating when he's been one of the main culprits of how fucking awful we have been in Europe.

Home of Barca Fans