Press conferences/interviews

I

instinct

Date: 18.08.2014

Post-match comments
Match: Barcelona vs Léon

BvWLdWeCIAAuqy_.jpg:large

---

Luis Enrique: "We have a great squad and you work with that. We look how we can hurt the opponent, we want to be more unpredictable."

Luis Enrique: "Messi-Neymar? Had a great connection, but that's normal when two players of that quality play together."

Luis Enrique: "Physically, we're as ready as we can be, you're never 100% when league starts. Tactically, I'd need more time."

Luis Enrique: "Bravo starter in the Liga? Could take him starting as a hint, but Masip also played. You'll know it in six days..."

Luis Enrique: "Munir to stay with first team? We'll see, depends on how he performs. I've many options up front, different types of players"

Luis Enrique: "Transfer window is closed yet, we can still improve the squad. Douglas? Don't comment on players who are not in my squad."

Mathieu: "I think we played a good game, I'm happy. Playing at Barça is different, you have a lot of possession, defense should be focused"

Bravo: "Playing at the Camp Nou as Barça player is spectacular. It was really impressive. I felt good."

Rakitic: "Luis Enrique asks me to shoot from outside the area? Well, yes... (smiles) He knows my game and that's part of it."
___

quotes from barcastuff

Last edited:
I

instinct

Date: 20.08.14
Player: Mascherano

pic_2014-08-20_ENTRENO_49.v1408545976.JPG

---

“You always feel reinvigorated when a new season starts. The club has made a huge effort and we’ve brought in several new players that’ll make us stronger”.

“In a job like this you have good times and bad, like the World Cup Final. I’ll never get that defeat out of my head but life goes on and you have to face new challenges and goals. If you are at a big club like this, you can’t dwell on the past”.

“The FIFA sanction is too delicate a matter for me to pass comment. But personally I will say that the club works hard for the kids at La Masia and cares for them well”.

“It is comforting to hear the manager speak well of you. I have to respond to that belief in training to make sure Luis Enrique doesn’t change his mind”.

“At the end of the last season, I told the club that if they didn’t think I was good enough to be here, then I’d have no problem leaving. But the club feels that there is still a lot I can offer to this team”.

“It is our duty to fight in all competitions and get as far as we can”.

“Messi seems fine to me. He’s looking forward to this season as much as any other. People were being unfair when they criticised him. It’s a shame that they criticise the person who wins and award and not the people that award it”.

“Martino was an honest manager who knows the football world well. I hope the Argentina national team continues doing well, but obviously with his personal touches”.

“Luis Suárez looks fine to me. I’ve always liked him as a player, especially because of the way he lives football. I identify with him because of the way we both play this sport”.

“There are a lot of players in the B team with a grand future ahead of them. Now it’s up to them – they need to be patient and stay strong”.

---

quotes from www.fcbarcelona.com

I

instinct

Date: 21.08.2014
Player: Dani Alves

2013-08-23_ENTRENO_05.v1408617449.JPG

___

"There's always a lot of talk about me. But criticism makes me better, it motivates me, positive words don't."

"I deserve respect at this club, I've played almost 300 games now. I needed to talk with Luis Enrique and he told me he counts on me"

"I decided to stay. When things get difficult, I'm stronger. I have a contract until 2016, but I go year by year, this season is key"

"Lack of support? From everyone a bit, club, fans... But I'm to blame for it. I didn't perform at my best."

“It is a pleasure to work with someone like Luis Enrique, who demands a lot from us”

"I never thought about leaving, but the club had some doubts, there were rumours, and I had preferred they'd talk straight."

"This is 2008 all over again for us."

"Suarez? We need some bad guys in the squad, because now I'm always the one who's blamed... (laughs) He's really good, I like him."

"You can't compete with the press, they're too powerful, but you can compete with yourself and get better."

"I said before Neymar would need time to adapt. He'll be better this season, we'll see the kind of player he is."

"Douglas transfer? He's a great player and those are always welcome, I hope Barcelona can sign him, it would strengthen the squad."

"It would have been an injustice if we had won La Liga. We did not deserve."

"I encourage people to buy newspapers to see the pictures, but don't believe in what's written inside.''

"Real Madrid are not scary."

"In the last two years we have not managed to be a great team."

___

quotes from barcastuff and @ars_cule

Icarium

Lifestealer
"It would have been an injustice if we had won La Liga. We did not deserve."

No it would not. If we had won against Atletico we completely deserve it. We did a double on Real and did not lose to Atletico (eventual title winners). We were just unlucky not to win the final match. If we did win that match it would have been completely deserved title. Alves is not that annoying but he does make some stupid statements.

I

instinct

Date: 22.08.14
Player: Xavi Hernandez

10461308_910927095602640_7864638281230328949_n.jpg

___

"I expect we get titles this season"

"My relationship with the coach in amazing, we've been friends for a lot of time"

"It's very hard that Di Maria moves to Barça, he is Madrid's. But i consider him a great player"

"There is a perfect harmony in the dressing room, great human beings"

"It's hard to replace Valdes but there are 3 great and capable goalkeepers in Barça"

"It's not that we didn't trained good last seasson it's just that we didn't get results"

"Leaving the national team let me concentrate only on Barça"

"We need to focus on us, not on the rival"

"Pressure this year will be hard, but we already know we have to win titles"

"Barça did great signings this season"

"I'm ready to give everything of me to the team and do anything Luis Enrique needs"

"We have quality players, a lot of competition"

____

quotes from Viva Barca

I

instinct

Date: 23.08.2014

Luis Enrique

tempfile.v1408789400.jpg20140823-19344-1l8igr0-0

___

"It has been a good training week, after a good gamper. We're ready for the first Liga game, although it'll be difficult."

"Neymar? We'll see tomorrow if he will play. Pedro? Same, he trained normally today. In principle, I count on both of them."

"In principle, players can stay at their home until leaving for the game. There's no better place for them than home."

"As for away games, we'll travel on match days if that's possible."

"Players who are in the calling list, are ready to be in the main line-up. I don't have any doubts"

"We have done great signings so far, but we keep on monitoring the transfer market and can still strengthen the squad."

"Atletico are the champions, so they are the favourites this season. Maximum respect."

"No team will beat us in excitement and motivation."

"Munir will stay with first team? We want him to play as much as possible, in B-team or first team. Same goes for the others."

"The players will know who will start during the tactical chat, one and a half hour before the game."

____

quotes from barcastuff and weloba

I

instinct

Date: 25.08.14
Barcelona vs Elche

Post-match reactions

tempfile.v1408921264.jpg20140825-25640-74u0nj-0

___

Luis Enrique:

“The game had a little bit of everything”

“Elche were very organised at first but we gradually started creating chances and showed what resources we’ve got”.

“The sending off made the game harder for us but we knew we had to take less risks and then individual actions in attack helped us”.

“Messi is the best player in the world but in almost all aspects of the game. He’ll remain the best in the world for as long as he wants to be.”

“Munir breaks with a speed that’s very difficult to deal with but he does it all so naturally. He’s got a lot of character and he’ll be a great help to us, as will so many other players.”

“All of the team members will be important and play key roles this season”

(about Xavi) “He wasn’t in peak condition and I preferred to leave him out. For me it’s not a matter of a first eleven and substitutes”.

“My only responsibility is to ensure that the players are in the very best possible condition”

“They are the ones who go out and play and they deserve all the credit. It was a nice night for everyone, but especially the ones who were making their debuts at the Camp Nou”.

“The Barça fans have gone home happy.”

___

Bartomeu:

“Luis Enrique is making sure that all of the players get involved and Munir really showed how good he is. He is a wonderful talent with great future ahead of him”

“Luis Enrique was the best signing this season”

“He has accepted the challenge and Zubizarreta has done some very good work. The fans were chanting his name and that’ll boost his morale. He really is doing a wonderful job''

''Messi is the best player in the world. He’s shown that once again. He scored, he provided an assist (?). That’s the Messi we all know”.

“We have a lot of rivals in the league, but especially Atlético Madrid, the defending champion. They’ll be a very strong opponent. They deserve all of our respect, but then again, so do all of the teams”.

“We were aware that FIFA would ratify its sanction”

“In the past we have committed certain irregularities but always respecting the spirit of the regulation. And we knew that we’d end up going to the CAS, and now that time has come.”

[They planned the season] “In the knowledge that we might not be able to make signings in the next two transfer windows [winter and summer] and that at the same time there was a pressing need to renew the squad''

“There are still a few days to go and we’ll be eyeing the market” he said. “Let’s see what happens over the next few days”.

______

Players:

Munir:

“I am so proud to have scored at the Camp Nou with Messi and so many other great players around me. I’m very happy. It was a dream come true to play with them. Luis Enrique has told me to keep doing what I do, and so I’ll keep working for more chances. He tells us to work hard and get better every day. He’s a great manager.”

(about the goal) “It came because if you keep losing your marker, sometimes you get there. I saw the goalkeeper was off his line and just chipped the ball”

Rakitic:

It’s so much easier playing alongside the best players in the world, but this was just the first step. I have a lot still to do. Luis Enrique has worked out all of the details but there is a lot that needs to be improved.”

“It is a joy for all of us to be able to play alongside Messi.”

“I want to play my football but I won’t get anything for free. I have to work hard.”

“We could tell from the very first day that Munir is a very talented player. I’m sure he’ll help us a lot”.

“We trusted in our football and strength, so we were able to control the game with just ten men”.

Dani Alves:

“The team has taken on board what Luis Enrique wants and that’s important for our progress. If we put it all into practice, the wins will come. Things are in our grasp, so we’re all happy”

“We have to look after Munir because he’s got a great future ahead of him. He’s humble, but hard work is getting him what he deserves. It’s a pleasure to have him in the team”

Marc Bartra:

“The whole team played well and we’re going home with a good feeling about this”

“I was happy with my preseason games. It’s very important for me to get to play”

“We have worked very hard, all of us, and Luis Enrique doesn’t have favourites. Any of us can play and deliver. We have to show him how much we want to play”.

____

quotes from www.fcbarcelona.com

I

instinct

Date: 26.08.14
Player: Claudio Bravo

20140826_130334.jpg

____

"Since the 1st day I want to be in the starting lineup "

"Villarreal is a tricky place to go - there'll be time to analyze that match"

"The most important thing is to remained calmed and we are"

"Barça is everything I expected to be, there are really human beings here"

"I'm grateful to have Messi in my team"

"We are working on defense in corner shots, rivals try to harm us in this moments"

"We played a great match even with one player less"

"Munir is a great player and has everything to succeed"

"My competitors make me try harder, we have a very good relationship"

"The team remained its form, game, strategy and did well with 10 players"

___

quotes from www.weloba.com

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Douglas's Interview with MD:

640x360_douglas_2_.v1409093425.jpg

How are you feeling?

"I can't explain, really. I'm very happy, it's such a big club and every player dreams of playing there. I'm very happy, and I hope to reciprocate their trust. I won't be a fraud".

Are you ready for the challenge?

Yes, very. I worked a lot here at São Paulo, one of the biggest Brazilian clubs, who always wants to win titles. Barcelona is no different, it's a club known worldwide and competes for championships every year. They're used to win and they always want to do it. I feel the same way, my head is in the right place. I know how difficult it will be, but I'm going to work hard and I want to help them to win titles. I'll do my best.

As you know, Barça already has two players in your position in Montoya and Alves. Are you scared of the competition?

No, I'm not scared. They're both great players, especially Alves, who's world class and represents our national team. Right now, I'm just concerned about doing my job, working hard and trying my best. Luis Enrique will choose who's playing. I just want things to be natural.

In all honesty, everyone here was surprised when we heard that Barça was going after you, and the information we had said that even the fans of your team didn't like you. What do you have to say to that and what can you do here at Barça?

The best thing I can do is changing that with hard work, dedication and good performances. If I train hard everyday and the chances to play come my way, if I do well, I can gain the respect of my coach and teammates, and later the fans. I'm not really worried, I think it will turn out well.

Have you spoken to Alves, Neymar and Adriano, the other Brazilians at Barça?

Not yet. Didn't have that opportunity because I don't know them personally. Our paths never crossed, so I will only talk to them when I get there.

What goes through your mind when you have the chance to play with guys like Messi, Suárez, Iniesta, Xavi...?

I don't have the words right now to explain. These guys are my idols, and now I have the chance to be with them everyday... I can't explain, really. But at the same time, I have to be professional and learn from them, and help them as much as I can, so we can all win together.

Just to be clear. You're joining the team immediately, right? You are not going to be loaned to another European team?

Right, that's the agreement my agent had with Barça.

Have you spoken to Luis Enrique already?

Not yet. I've talked to the club officials who came here to Brazil, but nobody else yet.

For the ones who don't know you, how do you define yourself?

I'm a very honest and hard-working person, who wants to win not only on the pitch but also outside, giving my family a better life. I respect everybody from Barça who already works there, and I just want to help the team to win titles. I will honor and respect this great club.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Highlights from Suarez's Interview with Barca TV:

"When I heard about the interest that Barça had in me, it wasn't a choice for me. I had no doubts, I had to come here. This is what I've dreamed of, what I've ever wished. I said no to other teams because I already knew that this was the right choice.

Since my early years in Europe, first at Ajax, then at Liverpool, my career was all about rising, overcoming obstacles, facing bigger challenges. This is now the biggest challenge, to play at the best team in the world. I want to win the titles I saw this team win when I wasn't here. I see how happy everybody is to be here, and I want to be a part of it.

This is funny, I was very shy at my presentation. I never expected what happened, because I thought it would be a normal presentation like at any other club. The ovation from the fans made me very emotional, and it's something I'll always remember. It's a reward, and the support from so many people gives me strength and helps me to give my best everyday in training. Hopefully I can debut soon and give the fans back with a lot of work, dedication and sacrifice. I hope I can contribute a lot to this great club.

Playing at Barça is a challenge, yet a dream. It was always in my mind playing at this stadium in front of so many great fans and sharing a part of the pitch with my teammates. This experience is beyond everything I've always dreamed of."

I

instinct

Date: 28.08.2014
Player: Ivan Rakitic

captura_de_pantalla_2014-08-28_a_les_14.42.19.png

____

"Villareal is a very strong team in every single part of the game"

"I don't know Douglas, but I trust the club and hope he will give a lot"

"I'm here to improve and I'm doing it with the best players of the world"

"Every player wants to play, but in the end the coach decides who does"

"We all know what kind of player and person Xavi is, he is an idol"

"I'd like to play against Basel, it's my home. But there is no such thing as an easy game at the champions League"

"Luis Enrique asks me to shoot from the out of the area, that's my style"

"I'm not surprised about Munir because I see him every day, he is 'big' "

"I've always seen Messi in his best version, he is the best player in the world and in football history"

"I thank god I'm in this team"

"Our lineup is brilliant, impressive "

____

I

instinct

Date: 29.08.2014
Participants: Andoni Zubizarreta, Douglas, Jordi Mestre

bwou3mucyai1sb-_0.jpg

____

Douglas

"I am really happy to be here. I am really looking forward to train with my new team-mates".

"I have been dreaming of playing for Barcelona since I was a kid".

"Dani Alves is a great player. It is really difficult to compare. I have always wanted to be like him".

"I will work really hard. I feel ready".

"I didn't know Sergio Busquets used to wear the number '16'"

Andoni Zubizarreta

"He playis in the right wing. We have been following him since 2012".

"He provides good crosses with both legs and assists well. He needs to adapt to European football".

"You know that we may be not able to sign until 2016. That is one of the reasons of this signing".

"We thought about loaning Douglas, but after meetings with Luis Enrique we considered that he should stay here".

____

Last edited:
I

instinct

Date: 02.09.14
Participants: Andoni Zubizarreta and Jordi Mestre

zubi_3.jpg

_____

"Renewal Munir? We'll discuss his career with his agents, like we are doing with other B-team players."

"Asensio transfer didn't go through? Mallorca didn't want to sell."

"We're delighted Alves stayed. His contract ends in 2015. Option to extend it? No comment, it ends in 2015."

"B winger Maxi Rolon waited until the last minute yesterday to see if he could join Lleida on loan."

"Thought about buying+loaning players like Reus or Koke because of transfer ban? That'd have been difficult."

"Benatia? We chose to sign Mathieu and Vermaelen. Every team has their own needs. We needed left-footed, versatile players."

"Neymar fined for signing autograph during warming-up on Sunday? Fines are private matters. There's no problem with Neymar."

"We in the end ruled out Cuadrado? We never talked about him, so can't say now we ruled him out. He's an interesting player."

"We don't have any problem with Alves. He has his own character. I'd only discuss with him about the hat he wore the other day"

"Di Maria and Xabi Alonso? I've already enough with my own club. It'd be good question for when Madrid explain their transfers"

"If someone asked me some years ago about who will be Barca's GK today, I'd have said Victor Valdes"

"Messi doesn't compete with other players, he competes with himself"

"A warm hug to Victor Valdes and hope to seem him fully recovered and on the field soon"

"Are Barca front runners for La Liga after Real lost? I'm taking my first vacation in 5 years, ask me when I'm back"

______

quotes from @barcastuff and @ElMaestrofcb

Last edited:
I

instinct

Date: 08.09.14

Interview with former Barca player Cesc Fabregas about his time at the club.

barcelona-midfielder-cesc.jpg

____

“Assessment of my time at Barça? Great. We won 6 titles. We won everything except the CL.”

“I scored in the Club World Cup final. A fantastic Super Cup win on the day of my debut. I'm very proud.”

“Time too short at Barça? That's life. I had my dreams and one was to play for Barça. I've accompished that. What more can I ask for?”

“Fans whistling me at Barça? I've no reproach. If I was criticized, there'd be reasons. There were good & bad games. And I know that.”

“I never felt mistreated. I've nothing to complain about. I prefer to look at myself, knowing I've done wrong, and also done well.”

“From Barça, I take a lot of friends, experience, wonderful memories. I cannot be more proud. 42 goals, 150 games...”

“It could've been better, but it could've been worse too. No, I've nothing to complain about. I always felt part of the group.”

“At the end of first season I didn't participate much. But in the second, I played 34 games in the league of 100 points.”

“I fulfilled a dream. My life wouldn't have been complete without playing football for Barcelona.”

“Best moment at Barça? Fulfilling my dream playing for Barça. Worst? Undoubtedly Tito's death. He was super important for me.”

“When did I decide to leave? I started having the idea after Cup final when I started thinking it does not make sense to continue.”

“I didn't talk to Enrique. I informed the club a week after losing the league. I called Zubizarreta. Felt I was doing Barça a favor.”

“It was good for Barça, and for me. I asked my manager to look a team for me. Chelsea's offer came, and for me it was back to London.”

“London is the place I grew up. There was no better way out. I spoke to Mourinho & he told me things I needed to hear. I felt valued.”

____

quotes from @fiazhamsath

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Date: 12.09.14

Luis Enrique - Pre Match Press Conference

proxy.jpg

"I've decided who will play tomorrow, but I'll tell it first to the players." / "I've decided who will play in goal, but I will speak with them first."

"Munir is the same as always. He's very close to being a professional player. He's doing great."

"Neymar can play? He's doing perfect, like almost all players. Several players will get the medical green light tomorrow."

"Which result do I want for Madrid derby? I want both to lose..."

"My hat-trick against Athletic? I remember I scored a fourth goal too, that was disallowed although it was legal..."

"Mourinho praising me? I got along great with him as player, it was good to see him again. He's one of the best coaches."

"The players surprised me with their hard work in training, I can't criticize them. But there's still a lot to improve."

"Discussion Guardiola-Mourinhoat coaches' meeting? Must have fallen asleep, because I didn't see anything. There was nothing."

"In principle, Messi is ready to play tomorrow. He has been training normally."

"I expect to see the best version of Neymar. He's a special player, he has to deal with huge pressure, with club and country."

"I count on Xavi. He'll be important this season, like I hope all players will be. He has improved a lot physically."

"I like that we will play with the 'senyera' kit. I like the design. I hope it will help us and that the fans support us."

"Vermaelen is an interesting player. Can add building up from the back, aggressivity, heading... The centre back we needed."

"Bilbao have been a reference point for a few seasons now. I admire their youth policy and the way they play"

"Everything about Bilbao concerns me. We'll try and ensure they can't play their attacking game. We've been working on that"

Quotes from https://twitter.com/barcastuff and https://twitter.com/FCBarcelona

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans