Memphis Depay

FinBarcelonafan

Club is broke, and people still argue is he good for Barca LOL. Trincao,Brauthwite,Roberto,Pjanic,Umtiti,Firpo and Lenglet are still in squad.

There is no money, so it is keeping one of the worst squads ever or signing Depay,Emerson,Garcia and plazers like that.

It has been mentioned multiple times but people still think we have money. We don't.

I agree. These are good signings for the money.

Bobo32

KPB would be preferrable to Depay. He had a clear role which could be read as being needed for Barcelona at the time, as did Braithwaite when he was bought.

Andresito and maybe more posters here argue that he wouldn't be a clear starter all season but be a good rotation option. I don't think Koeman sees it that way, but is very hard for Depay and intend to play him close to 100% of the time, as he does with Pedri and other players he trusts.
If he was brought as rotation on a low wage etc I'd agree he could be of some use maybe sometimes, under a competent manager, but I just don't think this will be the case.

I see after just two Euro games, there are a few more posters very sceptical about this player - throughout this spring I felt pretty alone in criticizing him, but it's nice to see a few posts to agree with for a change!

wisconsincule

KPB would be preferrable to Depay. He had a clear role which could be read as being needed for Barcelona at the time, as did Braithwaite when he was bought.

Andresito and maybe more posters here argue that he wouldn't be a clear starter all season but be a good rotation option. I don't think Koeman sees it that way, but is very hard for Depay and intend to play him close to 100% of the time, as he does with Pedri and other players he trusts.
If he was brought as rotation on a low wage etc I'd agree he could be of some use maybe sometimes, under a competent manager, but I just don't think this will be the case.

I see after just two Euro games, there are a few more posters very sceptical about this player - throughout this spring I felt pretty alone in criticizing him, but it's nice to see a few posts to agree with for a change!

Again. Who are you signing instead? Where is the money coming from?

I don’t think anyone who is for his signing actually thinks he’s going to be great.

This is a market opportunity that we have to take as we have no money.

Bobo32

Again. Who are you signing instead? Where is the money coming from?

I don’t think anyone who is for his signing actually thinks he’s going to be great.

This is a market opportunity that we have to take as we have no money.

Why sign someone?
They are trying to get rid of a lot of players - I also want to get rid of both french attackers, but sign no one.
Fati, Aguero, Messi, Braithwaite, Trincao, Pedri would be good enough for next year, and then there is Coutinho, Konrad, Collado and others. Koeman has played only two attackers a lot of games...

Chances are Depay, Griezmann and Messi will play most games, Dembele and Aguero wanting some time as well. I think Fati would get a lot of time, but a bit less because of Depay, and after him I think players like Konrad and Collado would have no chance to play.
And I think Depay will only influence play negatively when he plays.

raskolnikov

I dislike Depay for 1. His cr7 type ego and 2. He is a poor man's Grieznann at best in skills.
Only reason I favour the signing is the club being broke. He is a decent enough royation player to compete for la liga and you can easily sell him for 20-30 mil in 1/2 years.
In the grand scheme its a win/win to sign him at this point.

BBZ8800

He is a decent enough royation player to compete for la liga and you can easily sell him for 20-30 mil in 1/2 years.
In the grand scheme its a win/win to sign him at this point.

About selling, often it is hard to sell older players who came for free.

If he comes for free, we won't earn too much on him, unless if he will score tons of goals.
But in that case, why would we sell him?

In short: he will be old, probably meh or a flop at Barca, on high wages and with a record of not being good enough for Barca and Man Utd.

So, you should forget about getting him for free and selling for 30m in a two years time to Everton.

More likely: leaving for free, staying forever or leaving for 5-10m max in a 2 years time.

Last edited:

Porque

Aguero shouldn't be close to starting though.

Didnt start for City and doesn't start for Argentina even if Messi is there.

So there is no reason for there to be an amigo thing going on here.

Or perhaps I'm just being naive.

FinBarcelonafan

I do dread the idea of Messi, Depay and Aguero as a front 3. No pressing and barely any speed.

True. Good combination Vs if opponent plays deep though. A lot of skill and good finishing in the box.

Not good lineup to start Vs good teams who want to hold the ball or is capable of it. We would never get it.

Bobo32

Atm there are, in rough order of playing time demands:

Messi
Griezmann
Fati
Depay
Dembele
Aguero
Trincao
Coutinho
Braithwaite
Collado

10 players. Koeman likes to play just two of these in some of the systems he tried.
To be fair though, he'll likely try again to play four of these players, in his basic 4-2-3-1 system that was so shit, hoping that Depay will change things.

FinBarcelonafan

Atm there are, in rough order of playing time demands:

Messi
Griezmann
Fati
Depay
Dembele
Aguero
Trincao
Coutinho
Braithwaite
Collado

10 players. Koeman likes to play just two of these in some of the systems he tried.
To be fair though, he'll likely try again to play four of these players, in his basic 4-2-3-1 system that was so shit, hoping that Depay will change things.

Good point. I think that will happen and make us look terrible. The balance of the team is off, if you have too many players with low work ethic.

Home of Barca Fans