Memphis Depay

Morten

This player was not good enough for a struggling Manchester United to keep.
He has played five seasons for Lyon now, never acheiving a top 2 position in the french league. Last year they ended up at 7th.
I didn't watch them much, but I guess he is the star of their attack, able to play pretty freely...

As was evident by that video I posted above, he shoots when he is near the box. 3.05 shots per 90 minutes does he take, less than half of them on goal, and 0.12 finding the net. He is 71th in the french league in shot conversion.
He has a passing percentage that is 70.8% this season. This is the lowest in the Lyon squad, and he is 256th out of 298 players in Ligue 1 in this stat...

Funny enough, Lukakus passing percentage is just a bit higher than that, still gets lots of assists though.
Passing accuracy is important, but its always lower for those up front, if you put Memphis in CM, im sure he would automatically go up 10% in passing accuracy.

Bobo32

Funny enough, Lukakus passing percentage is just a bit higher than that, still gets lots of assists though.
Passing accuracy is important, but its always lower for those up front, if you put Memphis in CM, im sure he would automatically go up 10% in passing accuracy.

Which would still be almost 10% lower than Barcelonas current midfielders, and almost another 10% away from what I'd want from a midfielder.

But Depay is not a midfielder obviously, he is a winger/attacker, playing for a contender in France, given a role where he seems to be free to do whatever he wants.
The question is what role he would have in FC Barcelona, and what he could add from there.

I do not look forward to him playing as he seems to be doing at Lyon. If someone is to miss passes and attempt shots, I'd prefer it be Messi...

Bobo32

Yes we do. We only have Messi currently, who's on his last few years and not what he was. Depay is a fine player to be getting on a free transfer for a club in our position.

Coutinho is there.
What dire times ahead, to rely on Memphis Depay! Looking at some more stats at the moment, more and more depressing. Not even his highlight video was impressive, a moderately fast and moderately technical player given a free role in a pretty poor team from which he mostly fails but sometimes creates chances.

serghei

Coutinho is there.
What dire times ahead, to rely on Memphis Depay! Looking at some more stats at the moment, more and more depressing. Not even his highlight video was impressive, a moderately fast and moderately technical player given a free role in a pretty poor team from which he mostly fails but sometimes creates chances.

Yea, well, with a team that had Depay as the best player, Lyon knocked out Juventus and City, which is far better than anything we did in CL since 2015. We are not in a position where we can pick and choose 'em, as if we are sitting on hundreds of millions we have to spend, and the world's best 5 players are lined up to sign for us.

I think we actually signed 200m worth of players under Bartomeu and none of them is better than Depay :lol:. As a free player with a decent salary, I think we might be looking at the best deal we've made in years.

Last edited:

Laplacian

Yea, well, with a team that had Depay as the best player, Lyon knocked out Juventus and City, which is far better than anything we did in CL since 2015. We are not in a position where we can pick and choose 'em, as if we are sitting on hundreds of millions we have to spend, and the world's best 5 players are lined up to sign for us.

I think we actually signed 200m worth of players under Bartomeu and none of them is better than Depay :lol:.

This is revisionism. Lyon did not win those matches because of Depay, nor was he their best player.

serghei

This is revisionism. Lyon did not win those matches because of Depay, nor was he their best player.

Depay was the best player in that Lyon team. Of course, that team was not built on "savior" or "hero" players. And neither should Barca be in the next 2-3 years at least.

Depay is the reasonable type of deal we can and should make. Guys like washed-up Aguero are the opposite.

Laplacian

Depay was the best player in that Lyon team. Of course, that team was not built on "savior" or "hero" players. And neither should Barca be in the next 2-3 years at least.

Depay is the reasonable type of deal we can and should make. Guys like washed-up Aguero are the opposite.

Cornet, Caqueret and M. Dembele were the standout players in that tie. Not Depay. lol

Bobo32

I'm talking in general. Depay is the best player of Lyon for me.

And Braithwaite was the best player in Leganes.

Depay can't play with a 70% pass percentage in Barcelona, and he can't keep taking 3 shots per game from strange positions.
If he changes his style completely and plays more securely, how much would he be able to create? Not much is my guess.

Laplacian

I'm talking in general. Depay is the best player of Lyon for me.

Doesn't matter. I just think it's funny you state Depay as their best player (even though I know you don't watch Lyon), and later on cite matches where he was either not involved in at all (one of the Juventus ties), or the ones where he wasn't even one of Lyon's top 5 performers, to justify your argument; you just assumed he was a key player for winning those ties lol.

serghei

You guys need to be a bit more realistic here, and realize the situation the club is in. Depay is too good of a player to pass on a free transfer with a decent salary. He's a pretty hard worker, creates, scores, is a starter for Nederlands as far as I know, and Lyon's best player, a team that actually played very well against some of Europe's best sides last year.

Normally, you pay 35-40m. for a player like that who is also not 30, but in his prime.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
You guys need to be a bit more realistic here, and realize the situation the club is in. Depay is too good of a player to pass on a free transfer with a decent salary. He's a pretty hard worker, creates, scores, is a starter for Nederlands as far as I know, Lyon's best player.

Normally, you pay 35-40m. for a player like that who is also not 30 but in his prime.

Dortmund are dead set on not selling Haaland this summer so I wouldn't mind Neymar + Memphis as replacements for Coutinho and Dembele.

serghei

Dortmund are dead set on not selling Haaland this summer so I wouldn't mind Neymar + Memphis as replacements for Coutinho and Dembele.

Pff, I'd bite your leg off for Depay, Neymar, Messi and Griezmann. As a front 3-4, depending on setup. That's a great mix of technique, talent, hard work. I'd ship and loan everybody else in offense and even AM to make room for that.

Home of Barca Fans