Memphis Depay

Rory

2nd only to Mbappe in ligue 1 top scorers. Mbappe who has Neymar, Di Maria and a 500m team behind him. Well worth a free transfer risk. Just don't give him a stupid salary so it's impossible to get rid of him.

Bobo32

2nd only to Mbappe in ligue 1 top scorers. Mbappe who has Neymar, Di Maria and a 500m team behind him. Well worth a free transfer risk. Just don't give him a stupid salary so it's impossible to get rid of him.

Just like Ben Yedder.

Kevin Volland, Terem Moffi, Andy Delort, Gaetan Laborde, Burak Yilmaz, Jonathan David, Moise Kean and Karl Toko Ekambi have scored more non penalty goals than Memphis Depay this season. Memphis Depay won't take penalties in Barcelona, if he comes.

If you check "non penalty goals per minute" he sits on 40th place in Ligue 1, I won't list all the names in front of him there...

All the while having a 70,8% pass success rate, and being 2nd only to Gaetan Laborde in ligue 1 shots taken...

Rory

Just like Ben Yedder.

Kevin Volland, Terem Moffi, Andy Delort, Gaetan Laborde, Burak Yilmaz, Jonathan David, Moise Kean and Karl Toko Ekambi have scored more non penalty goals than Memphis Depay this season. Memphis Depay won't take penalties in Barcelona, if he comes.

If you check "non penalty goals per minute" he sits on 40th place in Ligue 1, I won't list all the names in front of him there...

All the while having a 70,8% pass success rate, and being 2nd only to Gaetan Laborde in ligue 1 shots taken...

He also has 10 assists. Are they worth something to you? Also the passing stat on whoscored says 76.5% success.

Last edited:

Bobo32

He also has 10 assists. Are they worth something to you?

Not as much as when they come from a player with higher than 70,8% pass completion rate.

I watched a compilation where some of these assists were included, wasn't impressed.

Rory

I don't think he's a fantastic player but... he scores goals, he's a set piece expert, he's captain so has leadership qualities (something we lack). He also assists plenty. He's free and in his prime years.

Negatives...not as good as Haaland, Mbappe, Neymar + bunch of other forwards we can't afford to buy.

Bobo32

I don't think he's a fantastic player but... he scores goals, he's a set piece expert, he's captain so has leadership qualities (something we lack). He also assists plenty. He's free and in his prime years.

Negatives...not as good as Haaland, Mbappe, Neymar + bunch of other forwards we can't afford to buy.

He won't be captain or take set pieces in Barcelona either, hopefully.
Leadership qualities? Does Messi have them as well? Depay is the star in that team who sits at 3rd in Ligue 1 now and ended up 7th last year. I don't know very much about his personality, but I saw in that same compilation I mentioned that he used his back heel to recieve a cross like Neymar, and tries Panenka penalties. Say what you want about it, not a style I associate with a leader, or what I think Barcelona is in need of.

With regards to assists, it's the same story if you take assist/min into account, then he sits at 19th place in Ligue 1 this year. Last year he ended up at 68th place in Ligue 1 in that stat, but was 9th in non-penalty goal/min with 9 goals...

Rory

He won't be captain or take set pieces in Barcelona either, hopefully.
Leadership qualities? Does Messi have them as well? Depay is the star in that team who sits at 3rd in Ligue 1 now and ended up 7th last year. I don't know very much about his personality, but I saw in that same compilation I mentioned that he used his back heel to recieve a cross like Neymar, and tries Panenka penalties. Say what you want about it, not a style I associate with a leader, or what I think Barcelona is in need of.

With regards to assists, it's the same story if you take assist/min into account, then he sits at 19th place in Ligue 1 this year. Last year he ended up at 68th place in Ligue 1 in that stat, but was 9th in non-penalty goal/min with 9 goals...

Depay being captain and Messi being captain are 2 completely different things. 1 is the best player the club has ever had, played here since 13 years old and the other has earned the captains armband after a few seasons. Can't compare the two.

I'm also not saying he'll be captain or take set pieces. Was Mascherano captain for us? No, but he was an incredible leader. Set pieces, he may take some if in the right position. Messi gives penalties away every now and then.

The stats from the previous season are unfair, he played something like 13 games in the league after being injured. If you look at that seasons total across all competitions it's 17 non penalty goals and 9 assists.

I really don't want to get into defending Depay and all that. I'm saying he's a good signing for FREE considering his qualities and flaws. Would I pay 30m for him, no. Is he worth taking for free? yes. Unless you can suggest to me other free transfers to look at.

Bobo32

Messi isn't comparable and Mascherano probably isn't either?
My guess was Depay is captain based on his football qualities rather than as a leader, but as said, I don't know about his personality. We'll see then, if he arrives...

I don't want him for free, as I am very unimpressed by what I've seen. Konrad/Peque/Collado are three free alternatives, as are Trincao, Fati, or Braithwaite.
If you are more interested in my view you can check my posts in the previous page.

Rory

Messi isn't comparable and Mascherano probably isn't either?
My guess was Depay is captain based on his football qualities rather than as a leader, but as said, I don't know about his personality. We'll see then, if he arrives...

I don't want him for free, as I am very unimpressed by what I've seen. Konrad/Peque/Collado are three free alternatives, as are Trincao, Fati, or Braithwaite.
If you are more interested in my view you can check my posts in the previous page.

Given he's the one who wears the captains armband it's safe to assume he has some leadership qualities, that's all I'm saying. Most captains in clubs across every team have leadership qualities. If Depay didn't have those qualities he'd be in a small percentage of captains that lack them.

Konrad/Peque/Collado have proven nothing at a good level of football. Trincao has been poor when given opportunities. Fati is a severe injury risk. Braithwaite is a fair response. Depay has proven more than all of them. And signing him doesn't mean these players can't prove they are more worthy to play.

xXKonan

Memphis Depay is set to join Barcelona this summer, as he has accepted a new, lower proposal from the Catalans. [rac1]

Givenchy

I like Depay's attitude, he seems like a fighter, hungry etc but I hope this isn't the start of Ronald McDonald signing a bunch of Dutch players

I always remember what that one Everton fan said of Koeman; he left them with a bunch of average players

Xaviniesta

When I'm in the city it's litty, this lion business is no kiddy
It was all a dream like bigger reality
Hear me, I'm living this life it's not pretty
Feeling like 50, many men hate on me
I got Mercedes on me I'm not trippin'
I got the stadium screamin' my name
And aftеr the game we making surе that we winning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjtNp-RStOs

Laplacian

All the "omfg if this player wasnt busy wasting time on instagram maybe hed be decent" folks are going to go insane with Depay if ever comes to Barcelona. It'd be fun to watch, no doubt.

Home of Barca Fans