Memphis Depay

malvolio

Very good player to get on a free.

I do not get why some are against his signing. At worst he will be a quality sub and occasional starter on lower wages.

1. because he operates in the same space as messi does? even the goals against scotland are goals messi would usually score for barcelona.

2. also, for him it might not be a case of shining in a lower league, but shining at a smaller team. like Lingard or smalling.

3. don't know why everyone is talking about depay on small wages as he comes on a free. he is young and at the top of his career right now. bonus + wages should be substantial.

4. just stockpiling on players because they are free, but are neither pure wingers or pure strikers? would this guy be OK to play as a sub or rotation?

5. he's no yerri mina to buy and move on quickly. this whole theory that we got nothing to lose with him is suspect at best

6. other elite clubs not being interested? usually that's a sign the player is not worth the hassle?

7. enjoys being the star of the team - see junihno's recent comments. this is a guy that acts like neymar/messi but is neither of them on talent.

Last edited:
- Depay has a good technique and composure. He can combine in tight areas.
- He is not especially fast, but his pace is decent.
- One of his weaknesses is his lack of defensive contribution. If he wants to play in Barca, he should improve that !
- The level of expectations is Barcelona is much higher than in Lyon, where he used to play. It's not easy to get a lot of playing-time here. If he wants to find his spot, he should be able to play at several positions and not just one: CF / LW / RW / SS.
I hope he can dribble at least, not like Griezmann, passing backwards all the time.
- I don't think his profile adds something special to the team. But as a free agent, I'd say why not.

Last edited:

Messi983

1. because he operates in the same space as messi does? even the goals against scotland are goals messi would usually score for barcelona.

2. also, for him it might not be a case of shining in a lower league, but shining at a smaller team. like Lingard or smalling.

3. don't know why everyone is talking about depay on small wages as he comes on a free. he is young and at the top of his career right now. bonus + wages should be substantial.

4. just stockpiling on players because they are free, but are neither pure wingers or pure strikers? would this guy be OK to play as a sub or rotation?

5. he's no yerri mina to buy and move on quickly. this whole theory that we got nothing to lose with him is suspect at best

6. other elite clubs not being interested? usually that's a sign the player is not worth the hassle?

7. enjoys being the star of the team - see junihno's recent comments. this is a guy that acts like neymar/messi but is neither of them on talent.

2. That's just a guess. He has flopped at United at a very young age, he's a more mature and better player now. Sometimes players are just not ready/too young when they move to a big club. KDB is a very good example for that. Didn't make it at Chelsea, moved to Wolfsburg and got a second chance at City. Not saying Memphis has the same quality (and obviously they play different positons) but he could be ready to play for Barca now. Especially in our current state.

3. According to rumours he has accepted much lower wages than he could get elsewhere to join us and play for Koeman again.

4. I think he would be ok as a squad player but expect him to start a lot of games. Don't see him as an undisputed starter though.

5. Mina is a bad example. He was totally unproven player in Europe and we only manage to sell him because he scored a few goals at the 2018 WC. Depay would come here apparently on a shorter term contract and lower wages, if Koeman leaves in a year or two and we'll want to offload him we shouldn't have problems to find a suitor.

6. Juve has shown interest.

7. Would Juninho say the same about Memphis if you'd ask him 12 months ago? I doubt. He was just butthurt Depay didn't want to renew. Also, Juninho and Rudi Garcia didn't part their ways on best terms.

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.c...juninho-our-relationship-rapidly-deteriorated

I assume Memphis was amongst those players supporting Garcia so not surprised Juninho didn't have exactly nice words about him.

Interlop

So, he is like Griezmann, but much younger, less expensive, can effectively play LW, LF and can actually dribble. Sign me up.

malvolio

2. That's just a guess. He has flopped at United at a very young age, he's a more mature and better player now. Sometimes players are just not ready/too young when they move to a big club. KDB is a very good example for that. Didn't make it at Chelsea, moved to Wolfsburg and got a second chance at City. Not saying Memphis has the same quality (and obviously they play different positons) but he could be ready to play for Barca now. Especially in our current state.

3. According to rumours he has accepted much lower wages than he could get elsewhere to join us and play for Koeman again.

4. I think he would be ok as a squad player but expect him to start a lot of games. Don't see him as an undisputed starter though.

5. Mina is a bad example. He was totally unproven player in Europe and we only manage to sell him because he scored a few goals at the 2018 WC. Depay would come here apparently on a shorter term contract and lower wages, if Koeman leaves in a year or two and we'll want to offload him we shouldn't have problems to find a suitor.

6. Juve has shown interest.

7. Would Juninho say the same about Memphis if you'd ask him 12 months ago? I doubt. He was just butthurt Depay didn't want to renew. Also, Juninho and Rudi Garcia didn't part their ways on best terms.

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.c...juninho-our-relationship-rapidly-deteriorated

I assume Memphis was amongst those players supporting Garcia so not surprised Juninho didn't have exactly nice words about him.

1. good that you skipped this one. as we already have two players in the same position :lol:

2. ah yes, the KDB example. it's not a very good example as you make it out. KDB spent a year at wolfsburg and city snapped him up. depay played 5 years at lyon and no one was interested in him. for every KDB there is a jamez rodriguez, coutinho or depay situation. players that failed at the top, that big teams don't want to get involved with anymore or at most loan them so they don't have them on the payroll for good

3. according to rumors is not an argument. it's clear that the guy coming in on a free will get a fat sign on bonus and a good salary. that's the way it works

4. doesn't seem like the guy who would want to ride the bench

5. we sold mina at the right time. paulinho is also a good example, but we had the chinese to thank for. depay would be 28-29 maybe when we would like to get rid and if he is a bust here not many clubs would want to gamble on him

6. got a link? didn't see any rumor on juve being interested

7. maybe. but on the other hand juninho is at least half right on him being the star and captain of his current team. is this guy that humble to come here and not cause trouble when he's on the bench?

Last edited:

JamDav1982

1. good that you skipped this one. as we already have two players in the same position :lol:

2. ah yes, the KDB example. it's not a very good example as you make it out. KDB spent a year at wolfsburg and city snapped him up. depay played 5 years at lyon and no one was interested in him. for every KDB there is a jamez rodriguez, coutinho or depay situation. players that failed at the top, that big teams don't want to get involved with anymore or at most loan them so they don't have them on the payroll for good

3. according to rumors is not an argument. it's clear that the guy coming in on a free will get a fat sign on bonus and a good salary. that's the way it works

5. we sold mina at the right time. paulinho is also a good example, but we had the chinese to thank for. depay would be 28-29 maybe when we would like to get rid and if he is a bust here not many clubs would want to gamble on him

7. maybe. but on the other hand juninho is at least half right on him being the star and captain of his current team. is this guy that humble to come here and not cause trouble when he's on the bench?

Do you want Barca to sign Depay? Leave as is on attacking options or sign someone else?

There is never a signing that has no question marks on them.

Messi983

1. I think he can play all 3 or 4 (if we'll play 4-2-3-1) positions upfront but primarily I see him as a LW where we only have Fati facing uncertain future after injury.

2. Yeah, KDB is not the best example but I've used him because they were both the same age (21) when they've signed for Chelsea and ManU respectively. But my point remains. Just because someone flopped at big club as a youngster doesn't mean he can't make it at another big team when in his prime years.

3. Media reports are all we have. We're not included in the negotiations and don't know what contract exactly he'll get. If Bartomeu was still here then I'd agree it's likely all our free agent signings would get big sign-on fees and high wages but in our current situation I don't see that happening. Garcia is returning to his hometown club, Aguero wants to play with Messi, Depay and Gini will mostly sign because of Koeman. (Emerson's contract was agreed to two years ago so I'm not including him here). Maybe not everyone is accepting less money than they could get elsewhere but I also don't believe our offers were much higher than what they'd get on the market.

4. I think that's a good thing. We don't need players who would just happily accept the bench (I'm looking at you, Riqui) but ones who are ready to push for starters positions. But I don't think he'll cause unrest in the locker room if he won't be a guaranteed starter. If anything, he'll be more motivated to show he deserves a second chance at a top club.

5. Again, if signed on a relatively low wages and short-term contract I don't think we'll have problems to offload him.

6. There were multiple reports citing sources from Italia (amongst those coming from Catalan papers) about Juve's interest. Here is just one of them from about a month ago, you can google for more... https://football-italia.net/juventus-move-for-memphis

7. Again, I don't think he would cause us troubles if not being a regular.

CatalinR10

I see he's worth 45 mil on transfermarkt ?

I also saw he has better stats than Neymar ?

And we can also get him for free ?

It's a no brainer for me then. Him over trincao or braithwaite would be a massive improvement. Wonder if he agrees to sit sometimes on the bench.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

It's a no brainer for me then. Him over trincao or braithwaite would be a massive improvement. Wonder if he agrees to sit sometimes on the bench.

I think for current barca he will be a big improvement :thinking:

malvolio

Do you want Barca to sign Depay? Leave as is on attacking options or sign someone else?

There is never a signing that has no question marks on them.

kind of mixed feelings about him. can't deny he is a baller, on the other hand we have all those question marks around him.

surely i would choose to sign him over wijnaldum.

FinBarcelonafan

Who doesn't have better stats in French league than Neymar? He was off

But yeah Depays stats are good.

Home of Barca Fans