Memphis Depay

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Pff, I'd bite your leg off for Depay, Neymar, Messi and Griezmann. As a front 3-4, depending on setup. That's a great mix of technique, talent, hard work. I'd ship and loan everybody else in offense and even AM to make room for that.

Catalan media speculated that the club will play Ansu as the striker if we sign Neymar.

Anyway, if we can sign Neymar for 50-60m + Dembele or Coutinho while he takes less money than he does at PSG then perhaps we should do it.

Next summer they can sell Griezmann and go for Haaland and a WC CB if we got the money for it.

a front two of Ansu - Haaland with Neymar behind them can work if Messi's plan is to move to Inter Miami in 2023 as reported lately.

Bobo32

You guys need to be a bit more realistic here, and realize the situation the club is in. Depay is too good of a player to pass on a free transfer with a decent salary. He's a pretty hard worker, creates, scores, is a starter for Nederlands as far as I know, Lyon's best player.

Normally, you pay 35-40m. for a player like that who is also not 30, but in his prime.

I don't rate Dembele or Griezmann very highly, but I prefer both to Depay.
I think Braithwaite is a decent complementary option.
Coutinho is much superior to Depay, but needs to find his role obviously (just like Depay would)
I think Pedris best role is as a winger.
Trincao, Fati, Collado, Konrad, and probably a few more in the coming years could use some time.

I have a very hard time seeing any positives with bringing Depay. If they sold Griezmann for some money, and Depay had a 10th of his wage (what are Depays speculated wage demands?) I guess he could fill a temporary role, but I'd rather let someone else play some.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I'm not the biggest fan of Memphis Depay, but I'm done watching Dembele and Coutinho stink it up so I wouldn't mind trying something different. Especially if he comes for free on reasonable wages.

We need more quality depth too. Memphis would not be my starter in an ideal setup/situation.

Trincao need to go on loan and Konrad is likely getting sold with a buyback option. Braithwaite is a good guy that works hard and has somehow managed to score a couple of important goals, but he's not a good player for this level.

My only worry about Depay is Koeman. I'm not sure I trust Koeman with his guys.

Last edited:

serghei

Dembele? Please, fast and scores a golazo once in a while, which Depay does as well. I'm sorry, but the basic technique of Dembele is that of a street player, fails at even the most basic things consistently.

I always say with Dembele, that's it, he's improving, now he stays fit, now he will stop messing up simple things, he finally matured, and then in the next game he does exactly the same things he's known for doing.

This guy will be 30 and will do exactly the same dumb stuff he does now, except he'll also lose his speed.

Last edited:

Porque

What's Depay chance creation going to be like when he is going to be an inferior right footed Messi?

I was in favour of him last summer because Messi head was out of the game and it seemed the only position that wouldn't detriment the tactics was to have Messi statically highest up the pitch. But now? I just don't see what Depay brings into the team.

Coutinho was excellent in the first two games (lol... two games) when he had the key creative position but then after his injury return and Messi resurgence we saw his true impact. Depay will kind of be like that I feel right now. Initially try a few long shots, hold onto the ball a bit too long, try a few through balls... then get molded into another Messi and inshallah player.

Then if Neymar comes, we have another player who is similar but better in every facet bar rapping. Plus is an amigo.

I don't see how this transfer works anymore, especially aswell, now that Griezmann has started to impact his game and I don't think it makes sense to replace Griezmann with Depay either.

But on the plus side he is free and Koeman likes him. And has proven himself at Lyon and is worthy of a second chance at an big club- be it Barcelona or Juventus.

I am still in favour of a proper striker to replace Braithwaite however. It is always good to have a 10-15 goal proper striker off the bench.

Last edited:

Bobo32

Dembele? Please, fast and scores a golazo once in a while, which Depay does as well. I'm sorry, but the basic technique of Dembele is that of a street player, fails at even the most basic things consistently.

I always say with Dembele, that's it, he's improving, now he stays fit, now he will stop messing up simple things, he finally matured, and then in the next game he does exactly the same things he's known for doing.

This guy will be 30 and will do exactly the same dumb stuff he does now, except he'll also lose his speed.

You don't have to tell me about Dembele, and I believe you know that.
I was against him coming and I have not said many positive things about him since, but I still think he's of more use to Barcelona than Depay.

Dembele, who is one of the worst and most mistake-prone players I've seen, still has 77% pass completion this season. Depay has 70,8! It is impossible to judge chance creation on a player with 70% pass completion. With these numbers, I'd create some chances as well!

serghei

You don't have to tell me about Dembele, and I believe you know that.
I was against him coming and I have not said many positive things about him since, but I still think he's of more use to Barcelona than Depay.

Dembele, who is one of the worst and most mistake-prone players I've seen, still has 77% pass completion this season. Depay has 70,8! It is impossible to judge chance creation on a player with 70% pass completion. With these numbers, I'd create some chances as well!

Yes, because Dembele is not the main creator of Barcelona the way Depay is for Lyon. There's a lot of factors that go in that. Imo, Depay is the more reliable player technique-wise, in terms of passing, dribbling, I think even scoring-wise.

Also also, he'll cost a tiny fraction of what Dembele cost us.

JamDav1982

Depay would improve the squad and for free on low wages cant lose and worst case scenario make money on him.

Better 9 than Dembele or Braithwaite and another option to play 10 or wide even.

Bobo32

Yes, because Dembele is not the main creator of Barcelona the way Depay is for Lyon. There's a lot of factors that go in that. Imo, Depay is the more reliable player technique-wise, in terms of passing, dribbling, I think even scoring-wise.

Also also, he'll cost a tiny fraction of what Dembele cost us.

Sure, I agree on that.
Problem is when his chance-creation numbers while playing like that gets brought up.

I fail to see what Depay would bring. I'd rather get rid of some players (first the frenchies) and replace them with none.

serghei

Sure, I agree on that.
Problem is when his chance-creation numbers while playing like that gets brought up.

I fail to see what Depay would bring. I'd rather get rid of some players (first the frenchies) and replace them with none.

Yea, fair point. That's a problem with most transfers though. Players will have to adjust to how Barca play (through Messi mostly).

Bobo32

Yea, fair point. That's a problem with most transfers though. Players will have to adjust to how Barca play (through Messi mostly).

This is also part of why Dembele plays so badly, and why Coutinho can look so good in Bayern inbetween "bad" spells at Barcelona (maybe some pills involved as well there but...)

Many players can adjust a little, but many (most) Barcelona transfers the last 10 years were ill-thought out beforehand, the players weren't of the right style, or able to play the right role.

Some players adjusted very well (Mascherano, Sanchez f.e) and some were a success because they would succeed anywhere (Neymar, Suarez) but pretty much every player bought since Laporta left looked to have been bought only because they played well in a completely different system, not taking Barcelonas style and squad into account very much.

If Depay would be different, I'd like to see some sign of it, in a video or something. There is no need for another player not fitting, whether free or not.
Maybe he can play a bit like Braithwaite, but slightly better...

Birdy

Only serious argument against Depay is that we have to many players occupying CAM, SS position.

If Coutinho goes, I don't mind having Depay giving competition to Griezman, and rotate a 35yr old Messi.

No one who is sane would mind that.
But reality turns upside down at Barca Forum just to defend personal biases

Home of Barca Fans