Memphis Depay

Andresito

Staff member
So if he works out, a year from now we will be talking to him about a renewal; if not, he walks free in 2023.

Won't be able to sell him for a lot, but at the same time he won't be able to steal money by sitting in the stands like Umtiti.

A pro here is that Depay will want to prove himself to get a contract renewal and a pay raise. He should be very motivated.

fergus90

He's definitely an upgrade in terms of squad depth. For how much Koeman wanted him though, I think he sees him as a key part of the regular starting XI.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
That is the price you pay when a player taes big paycut, while you don't want to commit for long years.

From the way MD reported it, it seems that it is Depay who doesn't want to commit long term to the club as Koeman is the decisive factor for his signing, not the club itself or anything offered by the club. If Koeman leaves, he will have little incentives to stay. At least that's how MD described it.

I think initially we were offering him three years and we were willing to offer one more year to make it four years to entice him. Sounds like Depay really doesn't want to tie his future to the club not knowing what will happen to Koeman.

Don't expect him to say "I signed for Barca because I have always wanted to play for Barca" during his presentation.

Birdy

The fact that the player wanted only 2 years and not sit on a fat and long contract (like the likes of Umtiti Roberto Pique Alba and the rest) is a huge positive regarding his mentality.

I would like to see players like him at Barca, who want to prove how good they are on the pitch and are not content with sitting out and getting paid

FC433

Messi and Griezmann/ Depay will almost 100% start. That leaves one spot for Fati, Dembele, Depay/ Griezmann, and Aguero (two out four are not wide players), which means that there is a very good chance that our attack consists of three CFs. Poor planning, and very disappointing.

Newcomer

So if he works out, a year from now we will be talking to him about a renewal; if not, he walks free in 2023.

Yeah. If his first season is successful, you are forced to renegociate at the end of the season and sure enough he wil ask for a salary increase. It is only a good deal if he flops.

If it was a condition from Depay, it shows he is concious his position at Bar?a is not safe and he wants to be able to keep options open instead of sitting on the bench, especially with Koeman situation. Pretty mature and smart decision from him tbh.

Porque

Yeah. If his first season is successful, you are forced to renegociate at the end of the season and sure enough he wil ask for a salary increase. It is only a good deal if he flops.

If it was a condition from Depay, it shows he is concious his position at Bar?a is not safe and he wants to be able to keep options open instead of sitting on the bench, especially with Koeman situation. Pretty mature and smart decision from him tbh.

Yeah, but contrarily I think even if he gives a good 2 seasons and then walks that both parties have done well from the deal.

Look at Griezmann, and ignore his transfer fee and wages. Imagine he came for free. For the level he has shown for 2 seasons, I think most Barcelona fans would be content with the level he showed while also be fine with not keeping him around as he approaches 30.

It is a smart deal that benefits both sides. And of course, if he exceeds that level over the next season then we can look at an extension for a year next Summer where the financial situation while hopefully start looking better as revenue streams post corona open up again.

Newcomer

Yeah, but contrarily I think even if he gives a good 2 seasons and then walks that both parties have done well from the deal.

Look at Griezmann, and ignore his transfer fee and wages. Imagine he came for free. For the level he has shown for 2 seasons, I think most Barcelona fans would be content with the level he showed while also be fine with not keeping him around as he approaches 30.

It is a smart deal that benefits both sides. And of course, if he exceeds that level over the next season then we can look at an extension for a year next Summer where the financial situation while hopefully start looking better as revenue streams post corona open up again.

No club give a 2 year contract to a player who isn't "very" old and thus represent a liability (or maybe the kind of players like Arsenal's Diaby who are physical liabilities). The more years under contract, the better for a club because you have leverage. Here, Memphis hold the leverage.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
No club give a 2 year contract to a player who isn't "very" old and thus represent a liability (or maybe the kind of players like Arsenal's Diaby who are physical liabilities). The more years under contract, the better for a club because you have leverage. Here, Memphis hold the leverage.

Exactly my issue with this. Next summer we will either be scrambling to renew him or sell him.

malvolio

Yeah, but we are not getting Mbappe here. Very unlikely Depay would turn out to be a great transfer that we'll struggle to renew next year. I could be wrong, then again all signs point to the fact no big club wanted him.

So the bigger fear is that we get this guy on a big fat contract + signing on fee and we can't get rid of him if he flops here. That's why 2 years(never heard of something like this tbh) sounds to good to be true.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans