Memphis Depay

I can't judge him basing on 2 pre season games. I hope he can make something, but the good thing is - he came for 0€. If he doesn't fit, we can sell him.

Androutsos

Some of you guys see a confident black guy with tattoos and all of sudden get uncomfortable... must've never watched an NBA game before.

Slevinn

Memphis is nothing like Neymar. He isn?t nearly as good as the latter but you also won?t catch him helping his sister when she?s stuck in the washing machine.

gasgas

The difference between him and Griezman is that one is a male genitalia while the other is a female genitalia; one pokes out aggressively seeking opportunities and wanting to break through while the other retreats and pull back hiding behind the bushes and giggling at moments of ecstasy

Oh my goodness

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Nobody is saying he will score 50 goals and outshine Messi. His preseason matches were good and its nice to see that there in finally someone beside Messi and Fati who is able to do something useful in the offense. If we arent allowed to make any conclusions then why are we looking those matches.

Agree, he looks to be an excellent addition - involved in all 3 goals, especially the overlooked ability to escape deep pressure and release a perfectly weighted ball to Sergi Roberto ahead of Puig's goal

It'll be different when Leo is in the lineup of course since Memphis will have less touches forcing him to make perfect decisions consistently...but I have a good feeling since his quality is so clear from touch, strength & linkup to finding the back of the net

However, the concerns about his persona are hardly unjustified

"Memphis arrived with an attitude that he had already made it, showing up with his M7 branding. When Depay was dropped from the first team at ManYoo in 2015, Wayne Rooney suggested he should keep a low profile and not “come in with all your fancy stuff” for a reserve game. But Depay turned up in his Rolls-Royce, wearing a leather jacket and a cowboy hat. “I just thought: ‘What’s the point?’” reflected Rooney." Then went on to have a terrible season, 2 goals in 33 matches

Last edited:

Klysmakabouter

Agree, he looks to be an excellent addition - involved in all 3 goals, especially the overlooked ability to escape deep pressure and release a perfectly weighted ball to Sergi Roberto ahead of Puig's goal

It'll be different when Leo is in the lineup of course since Memphis will have less touches forcing him to make perfect decisions consistently...but I have a good feeling since his quality is so clear from touch, strength & linkup to finding the back of the net

However, the concerns about his persona are hardly unjustified

"Memphis arrived with an attitude that he had already made it, showing up with his M7 branding. When Depay was dropped from the first team at ManYoo in 2015, Wayne Rooney suggested he should keep a low profile and not ?come in with all your fancy stuff? for a reserve game. But Depay turned up in his Rolls-Royce, wearing a leather jacket and a cowboy hat. ?I just thought: ?What?s the point??? reflected Rooney." Then went on to have a terrible season, 2 goals in 33 matches

The biggest thing I think was, he was desperately trying to be the victim - the eternal underdog. He had a massive "nobody likes me" complex. Pretty much ended up being wishful thinking from his part. He was heavily criticized for his mentality in The Netherlands. Most notorious for a similar incident Rooney described when he arrived at the training facilities of the Dutch NT like he was a rock star (at a moment the Dutch NT where very underwelming, Depay being one of the worst at the time).

At Lyon and under of management Koeman though, he turned things around. He really changed. Most people working with him started to notice a much more calm and mature demeanor from Depay. Benefiting mostly his results on the pitch. I think that's what made him deserve the transfer to Barca. And to be fair, he always was obsessed with the game and his physical achievements. All rapping aside, he is a good pro and works hard. So I don't think mentality will be an issue foor Depay anymore.

Gnidrologist

Good to have one muscle boy that can play in the "post" well and is not easily bullied of the ball like most of our current players are. His technique isn't elite, but he could complement the choirboys well with his physique. Don't mind swagger as long as it isn't turning into whining and crying like Neysneks.

serghei

It's like Dennis Hopper's character said in Speed. Poor people are crazy, rich people are eccentric.

Play well, and all his little extravaganzzas will be looked at fondly by fans and media alike. Play poorly and he'll be seen as a clown, and the pitchforks will come out.

Last edited:

clemente

He just don't have pace for a winger, those dribbles just don't do it, I don't know why we have 4 strikers in the team

Home of Barca Fans