Memphis Depay

behindbrowneyes

He is a victim of all of our injuries up front. He looks tired and has to play all of the games. Both for Barca and the national team.

The positive: Even if he is not at his best and doesn't get at the scoring/shooting end of balls atm, he is still creating chances. He set up two goal-scoring opportunities for Luuk and another one for Frenkie, who decided to play the impossible pass to Ansu instead of finishing it. Could have way more assists already.

vegitot

If you look at his stats then he has quite good number of key passes. Though most come from corner and set piece.

Still Barca best attacker now.

SmilerBam

They have to cheer for someone �� I get your point though!

How about chanting for Barca? No player in the current squad deserves their name chanted in that way right now. I guess they are desperate for the superstar void after Messi is gone, but we have no superstars in the team right now.

iniestaGOAT

How about chanting for Barca? No player in the current squad deserves their name chanted in that way right now. I guess they are desperate for the superstar void after Messi is gone, but we have no superstars in the team right now.

Teams chant every players name brah including role players

Only GOATs dont have their name chanted.

serghei

He makes some stuff happen, true, but his turnover ratio is way way too high. It's pretty simple. He doesn't do enough to make us accept the amount of times he stops an attack with some bad play or bad touch.

Also, I see many extremes with him.

Let me do a BBZ and say that top-class creative forwards have like 20% awesome plays, 50% nice plays, 30% turnovers.

Depay has like 15% awesome plays (so pretty damn close to a class forward here), but only 20% nice plays, and over 60% turnovers. I don't have the exact numbers, but that's how it looks.

He tries too hard to do the difficult flamboyant stuff that he doesn't do nearly enough of the more normal good stuff and overblows his turnover ratio to more than tolerable levels.

Last edited:

Bobo32

Very embarrassing to do that fake pass on the corner as well. Either you get it or you don't, but its just looks so extremely cheap, especially in that situation. He has a very punchable face, and his behaviour doesn't do anything to change that.

behindbrowneyes

Well, Camp Nou crowd seemed to like it and this is what counts. He really is a low-budget Neymar in that sense. Some will hate it, some will like it.

People should keep in mind that he joined on a free. Can't expect him to be prime Ronaldinho. He is a hard worker and is here to help the club in these dark times, that's why I like him. At a current level of finances and footballing level I'd even say Memphis and Barca are a pretty good match.

Laplacian

He makes some stuff happen, true, but his turnover ratio is way way too high. It's pretty simple. He doesn't do enough to make us accept the amount of times he stops an attack with some bad play or bad touch.

Also, I see many extremes with him.

Let me do a BBZ and say that top-class creative forwards have like 20% awesome plays, 50% nice plays, 30% turnovers.

Depay has like 15% awesome plays (so pretty damn close to a class forward here), but only 20% nice plays, and over 60% turnovers. I don't have the exact numbers, but that's how it looks.

He tries too hard to do the difficult flamboyant stuff that he doesn't do nearly enough of the more normal good stuff and overblows his turnover ratio to more than tolerable levels.

He doesn't have the talent threshold to play the way he wants to play. It's funny watching him constantly trying to be a budget Neymar or Ronaldinho.

Bobo32

Nothing is free. Depays wage was counted towards the budget that was needed to be lowered for Messi to stay. He probably had a big sign-on, and his wage is still not official afaik. He is occupying one spot in the attack that could be used by a more developable player.

fergus90

I liked his debut, but he's mainly frustrated the fuck out of me, to be honest. Although at least he tries to make things happen and we aren't banking on another 100+ million signing to perform.

I actually think if he continues in this way, he might get sold for a fee this summer if finances show any improvement.

Home of Barca Fans