Memphis Depay

Bobo32

In short:
It says more about the passer, I agree, but it also says something about the receiver.
However, when you see Memphis topping the individual xT charts, it says everything about him, whether it's passes or ball carries
Sure, let's wait to have more data available, 3 games are def. not enough
When you see passes to him from both WBs and Frenkie de Jong topping after three games played, it tells you that he recieved a lot of passes from these worse positions in these three games.
Just to get a sense of what to expect, I posted here some time ago the graph from the same analytics guy of the individual xT by passing of all Barca player for 20/21 all season long (La Liga only. In general -unfortunately- most databases have league data only) and as expected Messi was first,
alba was 2nd, and surprise, surprise, King Dembouz was 3rd above Busi
And here is the same graph for xT received for all players in 20/21, where you see Braithwaite is 1st
These graphs over one season could potentially say something, and when it's players instead of pairs, it tells you more about the individual players.
But it's still not saying that much. Messi and Alba were the main men in playing breaking, final, passes, as anyone saw. Dembele is shit but tries difficult passes, it is no surprise to anyone he'd be decent in this stat.
What to make of Braithwaite being on the receiving end a lot (like Depay in the first 3 games this season)? Was he the best player last season? The best without the ball?
"Is this the way Barcelona should play?" I don't think it indicates a way to play.
The one doing the graphs thought so, he said that he thought the numbers highlighted Barcelonas reliance on crosses and wing play.
I don't think it tells that much about anything to be honest, but the thing it sort of tells is who is allowed to play with higher risk.
It's obvious that if a team manages to make successful progressive crosses they are doing sth good.
But it doesn't HAVE to be that necessarily.
It's more about realizing when you pose danger or threat to the opposition, and that's by penetrating into areas by either successful passing or successful ball carrying
You can penetrate without having individual passes that score high on these xT delta stats. Your numbers only include passes, and it is inherently faulty that just the xT increasing pass should count. The same way that he has forward iterations to xT numbers for areas, he should have backwards iterations before the xT increasing passes, if he was to find the EV for the players performances. And that number would include faulty passes and actions of course.
"A pass into the 6yrd eats up good passes on the own half"
Of course, it 'eats them up' because *IF SUCCESSFUL* it's more important in posing threat
No it is not more important.
The 6 yard is awarded this 0,4 number, but this number comes from including cutback passes etc, the shortest pass you can imagine recieved in that area is very dangerous and helps give the area its xT, but these passes gives very little xT delta
A long ball from Pique that is recieved by Depay in the "best" 6yard spot, will most of the time be hard to control, and maybe he'll have to take it towards the corner etc, but it will score the highest xT delta score.
It is a very simplistic stat missing a lot of essential information, and it's very easy to see many flaws with it.
"Positions of defending/attacking team"
I don't know about that, have to look it up, not sure what you write about PiqueVsBusi pass is correct
It is correct, but please look it up.
"Pairing players"
There are individual stats, like the one above from 20/21
If you had posted stats like these, you would have more of a case and I would be less unimpressed, but still very unimpressed.
The guy posting the stats from last season thought the sample size of Pjanic was too small to include in the pic you posted above btw, he played more than twice what Depay had done in the pic you posted. He also thought Dembeles sample size was only decent, and Dembele had played 6,5 times more than Depay had done after three games.
"Filtering"
I don't think it's correct to say there is a decrease in xT when a pass is misplaces.
A decrease in xT is with a back-pass for instance (the ones Roberto is so good at...)
Of course it is correct.
If Roberto passed it back to ter Stegen, the xT value would still be slightly positive. When the ball is at the opponents hand, the xT value will be negative.
The xT is also calculated with future iterations in mind, and the reason the flanks for example have pretty positive numbers is that it includes backwards passes. It is very narrowminded to disregard backwards passes.
I get your annoyance with misplaced passes.
But you have to understand correct passing is not no1 desideratum from a player whose main responsibility is to threaten, and eventually score or assist
You have to understand that I understand some players are allowed to take risks to threaten.
Depay gets total allowance to take these risks, he takes all the set pieces, and he doesn't really defend, but he has very little to show for it so far. Once again I will mention that Roberto has as many non-penalty goals and assists as him, playing less than half the minutes, much of them as a defender.
This will probably change over time, but an xT combination graph from matchday 3, where he is on the recieving end of a lot of position improving passes, says very little about it. And it is not the case that Depay threatens a lot when he makes most of his mistakes, many of the mistakes are just sloppy, shitty, unconcentrated poor technique.

Joan

He's alright, but he's giving away those balls like they're candies.

But the pen was something else. Poor Cillessen didn't have time to blink.

malvolio

He's alright, but he's giving away those balls like they're candies.

adds unnecessary flicks and tricks when situation demands he releases the ball fast.

or holds up ball for no reason.

that's why i don't think any serious club went in for him while at lyon. too much of a luxury player.

guardiola or klopp would have subbed him off at HT if he pulled off shit like that.

Rory

Was in position for and gave a good wall pass for the Fati goal. Of course the finish is everything but to give no credit to Depay in laying it off just right isn’t fair.

Birdy

[MENTION=29755]Bobo32[/MENTION]

Here are the answers to the issues you are raising on Depay in graphs:

Excellent thread on twitter by football analyst FCAdamz:

1) Depay creates DANGER, by driving with the ball into dangerous areas
FBxDE9pWYAcPY4B

3rd in whole LaLiga in xT through progressive carries/90

(knowing that you gonna ask me about the calculation: I have explained already the definition of xT and I think you understand it now.
What they add here is that they calculated only the xT added through a progressive runs made by each player)

2) Which, as expected, means he would lose possession more often than 'safe-option' merchants who don't risk to drive with the ball into dangerous areas
FBxDhDJXoAsUIhR

3) Which ALSO means that they actually register more Goal-creating Actions (GCA) and Shot-creating Actions (SCA) through those progressive carries into dangerous areas
FBxD_abWQAM5kba

4) Conclusion:
That's why any team that wants to actually win football games, and not just win possession %
needs players like Depay who take the risk with the logical consequence that they will fail more % compared to the 'safe option' merchants that will never win you a football game

Birdy

His link-up play is underrated, does a lot in the buildup. Has to step up in the finishing phase though.

Yep

HAve said it before, and was proven right yesterday with Ansu:
If he has quick and mobile wingers left and right, you will see a lot more assists from him and more space for himself to shoot
His hold-up play to generate Alba's cross and penalty to Ansu is an example of how he can play with his back turned

Joan

adds unnecessary flicks and tricks when situation demands he releases the ball fast.

or holds up ball for no reason.

that's why i don't think any serious club went in for him while at lyon. too much of a luxury player.

guardiola or klopp would have subbed him off at HT if he pulled off shit like that.

Yeah, all that too. He tries too hard to be a saviour, while we don't need one. At least not a walmart version.

He has undeniable qualities, but I'd like him to get himself together and start playing... well, normal. Would hugely help him cover his flaws.

Bobo32

[MENTION=29755]Bobo32[/MENTION]

Here are the answers to the issues you are raising on Depay in graphs:

Excellent thread on twitter by football analyst FCAdamz:

1) Depay creates DANGER, by driving with the ball into dangerous areas
FBxDE9pWYAcPY4B

3rd in whole LaLiga in xT through progressive carries/90

(knowing that you gonna ask me about the calculation: I have explained already the definition of xT and I think you understand it now.
What they add here is that they calculated only the xT added through a progressive runs made by each player)

2) Which, as expected, means he would lose possession more often than 'safe-option' merchants who don't risk to drive with the ball into dangerous areas
FBxDhDJXoAsUIhR

3) Which ALSO means that they actually register more Goal-creating Actions (GCA) and Shot-creating Actions (SCA) through those progressive carries into dangerous areas
FBxD_abWQAM5kba

4) Conclusion:
That's why any team that wants to actually win football games, and not just win possession %
needs players like Depay who take the risk with the logical consequence that they will fail more % compared to the 'safe option' merchants that will never win you a football game
This post doesn't answer any question I had, it's a rehash of the most basic interpretation you have about the xT stat and it's importance, mostly misunderstood.
I can very well understand what a graph shows. I also understand what it does not show, and I've tried to make you aware of it as well. I took some time to break down a lot in my previous post, and expected you to show a bit more humility tbh.
This FCAdamz guy seems very much like an amateur btw, both in the way he presents himself and his stats and in what he focuses on, as well as his footballing understanding. But didn't you feel a little digged at from his inital post, making fun of people writing "case closed" etc? You often write like that.

I wonder if we'll ever see a Koeman-coached Barcelona without Depay on the pitch, but I am pretty certain that Barcelona would score goals and win without him.
At the moment, Barcelona pretty much plays for him to rest in defence and then try his hardest to force things each and every time he gets the ball. It isn't very succesful so far.

Birdy

This post doesn't answer any question I had, it's a rehash of the most basic interpretation you have about the xT stat and it's importance, mostly misunderstood.
I can very well understand what a graph shows. I also understand what it does not show, and I've tried to make you aware of it as well. I took some time to break down a lot in my previous post, and expected you to show a bit more humility tbh.
This FCAdamz guy seems very much like an amateur btw, both in the way he presents himself and his stats and in what he focuses on, as well as his footballing understanding. But didn't you feel a little digged at from his inital post, making fun of people writing "case closed" etc? You often write like that.

I wonder if we'll ever see a Koeman-coached Barcelona without Depay on the pitch, but I am pretty certain that Barcelona would score goals and win without him.
At the moment, Barcelona pretty much plays for him to rest in defence and then try his hardest to force things each and every time he gets the ball. It isn't very succesful so far.

No, I don't write like that. That's a mistaken impression.
There are many here (not you) who disrespect stats, and I emphasize maybe a lot the point when I post stats. That's prob what you refer to as 'case closed'

Then, I don't know, but you seem to not show humility when you say that an analyst seems 'amateur' and does not have football knowledge.
Where did you get that? Is your football knowledge superior to his to judge on that grounds?
Probably not

Then, again, when you throw empty attacks without explanation (like that I have misunderstood the stats) you get 0 points. You know that I assume?

Finally, I tagged you for two reasons:
1) because one of your main objection was that 'It's a graph from only 3 games' for the first one I posted.
Well, now you have one including all games, and Depay is 3rd in LaLiga in xT increase through carries.
You can't deny it anymore
2) because the analyst, through the successive graphs I reposted, replicates my argument point by point, showing why a player like Depay is valuable.

Now, about your previous post, it contained basically objections to xT model that are either unfounded or come from an idiosyncratic preference on way of playing.
I will answer the next days on it

Windhook

Depay is not a messiah, but he's consistent in performance, especially given he is still new at the club. Clicks well with Koeman's system and the chemistry with Ansu is good at this stage. Not sure about his performance once Koeman's gone, though. That might apply to FDJ and Dest also.

Home of Barca Fans