Memphis Depay

khaled_a_d

Bar?a are ready to let Memphis go on a free. [@MatteMoretto
Moretto has been one of the most reliable sources out there

BBZ8800

When you sign an older player for free, it's in the heads of everyone that you got him for free.

As Joan said, we got him for free and he failed. Why would anyone pay more than 4-5m for him?

Ok, Wijnaldum is slightly older but a similar story.
He came for free to Psg and failed.
Was anyone interested to sign him for anything more than a symbolic 2-3m this summer? I guess no.

When a player is around 30 and comes for free, after that he usually moves from a club to club on free/loan till the end of his career.

TheStig

It was the right thing to do anyway. No point in paying him for a year while he warms the bench.

Why? Depay has value, he's not a flop but a very good player for a level bellow the top teams. Every normal club would get at least some money for him, I don't know how can he even ask to go for free. He's got a contract and the buying club has to pay some money, we are not a charity.

malvolio

Why? Depay has value, he's not a flop but a very good player for a level bellow the top teams. Every normal club would get at least some money for him, I don't know how can he even ask to go for free. He's got a contract and the buying club has to pay some money, we are not a charity.

He came for free and can sign a new contract with another club in 6 months. And truth is nobody wants to pay for him. He is a flop when you consider he lost his starting position and didn't achieve anything here.

So instead of paying him for another season it is better we get rid.

Horatio

You're welcome
He came for free and can sign a new contract with another club in 6 months. And truth is nobody wants to pay for him. He is a flop when you consider he lost his starting position and didn't achieve anything here.

Crazy to think a player gotten for free and on low salary became top scorer is considered flop. lol
Nobody expected he'd carry Barca by himself. He scored the necessary goals.

wisconsincule

Crazy to think a player gotten for free and on low salary became top scorer is considered flop. lol

Far from a flop. Thank yoI for your services joining the worst Barca in 10 years. I like him as a player. We just have 6 better options now

MTL_Barca

Depay didn't flop, considering the circumstances and him being a free transfer he did well.

We can't really sell because the agents and other team's managers aren't stupid, everyone knows Barca has too many players and needs to free up space asap so why shouldn't they try to take advantage?

malvolio

Still flop in my view. Scored vs some bums, 0 goals in CL, got injured and by March he was a reserve.

We got dumped out of CL with him as starter. Not all his fault, but tells you everything about his level.

So good that the whole of Europe is fighting for his signature.

Flop doesn't really mean atrocious as some other bums we had over the years. It's just he wasn't a success either. Shitiest Barca in years and he can't hold a starting position.

TheStig

I'm not saying we should ask for 100 mil but almost any club except Barca could sell a player like that for at least 10 mil. He can stay if we don't get the money we want, he's not on a big salary.

malvolio

I'm not saying we should ask for 100 mil but almost any club except Barca could sell a player like that for at least 10 mil. He can stay if we don't get the money we want, he's not on a big salary.

I get what you're saying but 10M is not a big amount and still no one wants to pay that. Man Utd submits bid of 8M for Arnautovic, go figure.

Why are people going with this lie about his 'low' salary. Depay gets 5M euros NET a season. More than Kounde, Pedri or Ter Stegen.

5M a season for sitting on the bench? Low salary you say?

TheStig

I don't know how much he gets, that's low for a player of his quality who came as a free agent. I think someone would pay at least 10 mil for him but Depay wants to go as a free agent so he can get those 10 mil himself. I don't blame him, it's the club who should stand strong. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have him as a backup.

serghei

I doubt he would add anything to us at this point though. So you'd just be keeping him for nothing. This is why we're letting him go. At least we save his wages. And free up a bit more wage space.

Was also hoping for some 10-15m.

Home of Barca Fans