Memphis Depay

Messi983

Crazy to think a player gotten for free and on low salary became top scorer is considered flop. lol
Nobody expected he'd carry Barca by himself. He scored the necessary goals.

You should know every player not named Messi is considered a flop for that guy.

Messi983

When you sign an older player for free, it's in the heads of everyone that you got him for free.

As Joan said, we got him for free and he failed. Why would anyone pay more than 4-5m for him?

Ok, Wijnaldum is slightly older but a similar story.
He came for free to Psg and failed.
Was anyone interested to sign him for anything more than a symbolic 2-3m this summer? I guess no.

When a player is around 30 and comes for free, after that he usually moves from a club to club on free/loan till the end of his career.

Can't really compare him to Wijnaldum who was on like twice the wages and actually had a bad season unlike Memphis who was by far our best player in first half of the season playing alongside kids like Abde and Jutgla who had never played above Segunda B level before that. Then got injured because he was overplayed.

Joan

He scored 8 nonP goals in 28 league matches. Came to Barca believing he's a top level player and that he's going to show it. He took lower wages to earn his big contract but now depends on Barca to release him for free to get a good deal despite Barca asking only for a small fee. He was a flop here. Not a bad player at all but just isn't big club material.

Let go, get rid and be done.

Horatio

You're welcome
He scored 8 nonP goals in 28 league matches. Came to Barca believing he's a top level player and that he's going to show it. He took lower wages to earn his big contract but now depends on Barca to release him for free to get a good deal despite Barca asking only for a small fee. He was a flop here. Not a bad player at all but just isn't big club material.

Let go, get rid and be done.

Sounds a bit contradictory. If he were truly thought he would be as important for barca as you said he believes, why play for so cheap then?

Joan

Sounds a bit contradictory. If he were truly thought he would be as important for barca as you said he believes, why play for so cheap then?
Barca couldn't pay him better and they doubted it.

I already said I doubted someone offered him significantly better terms. 5m net is above average salary. In my opinion, which might very well be wrong, he came here to prove he's a tier 1 club player under Koeman who he liked working with. Signed for 2 years so he can earn his big contract either here by renewing or somewhere else.

My 2 cents.

Slevinn

Do we still have to sell Frenkie to register the players now? Fee seems rather high too.

Edit: the transfer is gone from SofaScore. :(

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans