Louis Van Gaal when he was Barca Manager

Adnan MUFC

I'm a Manchester United supporter and respect Barcelona as one of the biggest clubs in the world. My question to the Barca fans is what did you make of Louis Van Gaal when he was your Manager.? He was successful in his first stint winning 2 la liga titles and was let go, and what went wrong in his second stint when he returned.? I would highly appreciate feedback thanks.

ebieymjunior

I'm a Manchester United supporter and respect Barcelona as one of the biggest clubs in the world. My question to the Barca fans is what did you make of Louis Van Gaal when he was your Manager.? He was successful in his first stint winning 2 la liga titles and was let go, and what went wrong in his second stint when he returned.? I would highly appreciate feedback thanks.

I didn't follow Barcelona much back then, though I was already a fan.
I think he tends to be too radical at times, especially with youth. He's good if you plan to have a strong team in the future as he develops players really well.
He probably took it too far, which has it's pros and cons.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Barca played very attacking football during van Gaal. He was great at developing youth and ruled with iron fist. He wasn't well liked among the press though.

Chainsaw

Killahead
The most annoying part about him was his Dutch fetish. He's a pragmatic and serious coach, so I think he might come good for United.

My memory about why he left Barca is blurry tbh, but If I'm not wrong his relationship with the certain stars (Brazilians to be specific) in the team weren't very good. There were problems inside the locker room leading him to his departure, specially in his second spell. I remember Rivaldo after winning the Balon D'or told him he doesn't wanna play at the left side of the attack anymore and that caused problem between them and the team as the whole.

Adnan MUFC

"You're always negative, never positive". It was directed to the press when they asked him a question about some friction between him and Rivaldo, to which Van Gaal replied that the press were always looking for bad things. Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhERJW3ftkw&feature=kp

Thanks for that mate, was really funny.

Also thanks for all the feedback thus far, and please give me more feedback on this topic as I'd like to share your views on Redcafe a Manchester United forum.

Chainsaw

Killahead
He takes no shit from anyone. That might be helpful for sometime, win you titles and all. But don't be surprised if problems arise in the dressing room after a while. He demands hard work and no matter what your name is you have to get in the line, or you're out.

I do not like him personally. Too serious with that giant stick up his butt, but that's just my opinion. I hated it when Gaspart rehired him after his first spell at the club. Fortunately that didn't last long.

Home of Barca Fans