Cesar Azpilicueta

Messi983

His contract is expiring next year. Wouldn't mind signing him on a short term contract if he won't renew with Chelsea.

serghei

He's worth it. Get him on a 2-year contract if possible. Proper veteran this guy, not like our softies. If we replace Roberto with him it's an instant upgrade.

Last edited:

Messi983

33 years old next summer. Is it worth even talking about him?

Yeah, on a 2 (or 1+1) year contract why not? It's worth it for his leadership qualities and versatility. From what I've seen he's still playing on a much higher level than Pique. Send Geri to Miami, don't renew Roberto and get Azpi in. Our young Cbs could learn a thing or two from him and can also cover as RB. That said, we still need to get a younger proven CB imo. Obviously also need to offload Umtiti if possible and get whatever we can for Lenglet.

Something like:

Dest/Oscar--Araujo/Azpi--a new CB/Garcia--Alba/Balde

wouldn't be too bad.

This lineup obviously just on paper as Dest, Oscar and Azpi are all versatile enough to play multiple positions.

Messi983

Has he ever played that position?

He has enough experience playing a CB in 3 atb, could easily also play in a 4-3-3 imo. Not saying he would/should be unquestionable starter but still a very valuable player despite his age.

People always say that. "Can't be worse than X". With X being Busi, Roberto, Pique, Lenglet or ter Stegen.

Yes, they can be worse.

Give some examples please. Which players did we see getting enough playing time in last 2-3 seasons at their positions to fairly evaluate them and saying they can be worse than players you've mentioned.

Andresito

Staff member
Give some examples please. Which players did we see getting enough playing time in last 2-3 seasons at their positions to fairly evaluate them and saying they can be worse than players you've mentioned.

With those criteria there are no players. Because none has ever been able to bench likes of Pique and Busi for 3-4 games in a row.

Pjanic is one example though, that I'm certain of is worse than Busi.

Azpi could be a good backup, but we don't need backups.

Messi983

With those criteria there are no players. Because none has ever been able to bench likes of Pique and Busi for 3-4 games in a row.

Pjanic is one example though, that I'm certain of is worse than Busi.

Azpi could be a good backup, but we don't need backups.

You need some criterias. Can't compare players who are starters for years with those who are here for just as season or two and never got a fair chance because captains just have to play based on their past merits.

You can be certain he would be worse than Busi but we'll never know for sure because Pjanic never got more than 2 consecutive starts.

Anyway, I'd prefer to see what new players can bring and risk them possibly not being good enough than have to watch the same players doing the same things (which we mostly know are not good enough) for the millionth time.

And I've also said I wouldn't expect Azpi to be a starter (unless he'd deserve that) but I'm sure he would bring more to the team than Busi or Roberto these days.

Home of Barca Fans