Saul Niguez

El Flaco

Saúl's interview with El Mundo

After stumbling against Villarreal, have you said goodbye to La Liga?

We will never give La Liga away, all of our remaining games are finals for us and we will try to win them.

You arrived when you were 12 years at Atletico.

Atletico for me is not only a shield, an emblem. It is values, a way of living life. Humility, work, sacrifice, unity, team strength...

What is Pepe Fernandez, your first coach in Madrid?

Today it's mostly a friend. When I was young he was my coach, a person who helped me in my weakest moments. When I was in my worst moment, when I decided to leave (for non-football reasons) the previous team I played for, when I was at home wondering where would I play, he called me and told me to come to Atletico, he was going to take good care of me, that here it was going to be totally different from what I had experienced. Because he also had lived difficult times, non-football related, the year I met him. They were very difficult times. We came to Atletico and lived great moments together.

Why does it hurt so much to talk about what happened that year in Madrid?

It does not hurt me at all, because it was a good experience in the sense that I learned many things, I matured a lot.

Yeah, but it was a difficult year for you, being so young [11 years].

Yes, but non-football related things went on. Sport-wise went well, but hey, these non-football related things were things that a boy of 11-12 years should not go through.

Are we talking about they didn't let you go to the Brunete tournament?

No, no, that was before, when I was 8-9 years, that I came to try with them. No, there were other things. They stole my boots, food, I got a punishment of not being able to go to Valdebebas for two weeks for things I had not done... They handed a letter to the coach saying it was I who had written... I said that it wasn't me, because I really had not been.

That is, someone sent a letter to the coach ìnsulting him and said that it was you.

Yes.

And who does that? Other not-so-small children, right?

[He shrugs]

Parents of other children?

I do not know. [Smiles]

And how did you took that? Because you faced conditions.

Since I was young I was very confident, and for example, when I left Real Madrid I knew the world was not going to end for me, I just was going to play somewhere else. I just wanted to enjoy.

That is, it was not a trauma.

No, I tell you, I just wanted to enjoy football.

Simeone says you will get where you want. Where is that?

I will not set any limit. I want to continue growing, learning from all my partners.

How much does he trust you?

More than anyone. I have my mind clear, I have a family that always supports me, corrects me, even before things happen they prevent me not to make mistakes.

Does Atletico play badly?

Not for me. The main goal is to win. It is true that we did not play like Barça, playing nice and all, but look, there are people who say that Barça is boring. Whichever way you play they are going to say something. We always do what we think is the best to win the match.

Have we become a little lousy with this "play nice" thing?

The important thing is to win. You can play well, make a very nice game, you lose 1-0 and you leave with a stupid face. And you say, 'what good is it?'. Here the important thing is to win. It is fucking awesome to play nice and win, but the important thing is to win, no matter how. And how nice it is when you suffer and win 1-0? When you win 5-0 yes, we have won very easy, very pretty, but you learn to win suffering, fighting for hard things, and see how nice it is... Here is winning, no matter how you play.

Combining means to play better?

Does not have to, the first goal against Valencia is a hit by Filipe, failure of them and we made a goal, and we have not combined, but we won. Passing more does not mean playing better.

You have been close be loaned. What determines the decision?

The main thing is to play, because even if you love Atletico de Madrid very much, you have your values, what you want, but if you do not get the minutes you want, unfortunately you can not stay here, and moreover being young. I can not be on the bench, I want to play every game. Yes it is true that if I'm in a bad moment I have to keep working, pushing. But the important thing for a young guy like me is to have continuity, be in the field, make mistakes, improve.

But no coach will guarantee minutes. And it seems even less likely with Simeone.

That is clear, but if you see that you give everything and then the coach sees others better than you and you do not play, it's OK. I'll never say anything. The coach can choose the players he wants, but if I see that I don't have minutes no matter what happens, I have to do the best for me, and for me it is best not to be on the bench or in the stands. I have to try to play. Not only me, any young player needs minutes and will say, 'Hey, let me go on loan'. It is important that you feel valued by the club, the coach, feel loved...

http://www.elmundo.es/deportes/2016/02/26/56cf6fbf46163f3a738b45be.html

This was made for over two months ago.

Still interesting to hear about his past at Real Madrid as a kid.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Any chance of low release clause? Or Atlético bending over and accepting clauses on playing time/reduced buyout?

Ah, they don't have Barca negotiators.

clemente

Of course he scored against Italy.. I think we are sleeping on him, should just get him already, defintely an upgrade from Gomes, Denis, Rafinha..

Edit: scored another screamer now lol

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans