Timo Werner

Messi983

What are the chances we could swing a loan move for him in January?

I'd say better than getting Sterling but still low.

He would add speed to the team but he's not a prolific scorer Xavi wants. If we could somehow get him on loan, also sign that Cabral guy and both Ansu and Dembouz (a lot to ask for I know) would stay fit then something like this:

Werner/Memphis - Ansu/Cabral - Dembele/Braithwaite (Abde, Ilias, Yusuf)

would look like a solid forward line. At least on paper and in terms of depth but they'd need to show if they can actually play well together.

Raketa10

Still a big uprade over Luuk, almost retired Aguero and Braithwaite.

Only if it's a 6 months loan without any obligation to buy, otherwise it would be just another deadweight. Buying average players just for the sake of having them is the worst possible thing any club can do. There are numerous examples where we loaned or bought players who were short term solutions and all of them turned up to be horrible and contributed basically nothing. Just look at the examples of Braithwaite, Luuk, Boateng, Murillo. We should either buy (or loan with obligation to buy) a very good player or no one. Simple as that. In addition to that if we need a striker than go and buy a striker and if we need a winger than buy a winger. We HAVE TO stop buying wingers to play a no 9 and second strikers to play as wingers! This needs to stop. Xavi also needs to decide if Fati is a winger or no 9. before we go and buy another forward. If he intends to use him as a no.9 than we need a winger and if he decides to use his a s a winger we need a no.9. We for sure can't buy both and we are all sick of using players out of their natural positions.

Last edited:

mc_lovin

Depressing times... there's thankfully no way we can loan a 50ME transfer... at least you would think. And thank fuck Sterling is going for a retirement contract by the looks of it. The players we get linked to are all rather shabby. Unfortunately the more realistic players (like Cabral) look even worse... but are perfectly in line with Braithwaite and Luuk. Not gonna lie, a potential Sterling-Werner-Dembele front line makes me excited though. I would half expect it to be an omen for the apocalypse, which all things considered would be good news for the club ;-)

Long story short, can we just go the talent route? There are plenty of talented ~20 years old forwards, which is a decent age to make an impact. Experience upfront is negligible in my opinion.

malvolio

Depressing times... there's thankfully no way we can loan a 50ME transfer... at least you would think. And thank fuck Sterling is going for a retirement contract by the looks of it. The players we get linked to are all rather shabby. Unfortunately the more realistic players (like Cabral) look even worse... but are perfectly in line with Braithwaite and Luuk. Not gonna lie, a potential Sterling-Werner-Dembele front line makes me excited though. I would half expect it to be an omen for the apocalypse, which all things considered would be good news for the club ;-)

Long story short, can we just go the talent route? There are plenty of talented ~20 years old forwards, which is a decent age to make an impact. Experience upfront is negligible in my opinion.

why would you be excited about sterling-werner-dembele? basically a washed up player looking for a last big meal, a failure at top level that can't score to save hi life, don't even want to comment on dembele.

Messi983

Young talents are mostly expensive and we're targeting one of the best of them (Adeyemi) for summer. We won't get him in January though.

Likes of Werner or Sterling would be short term solutions with possibility to make them a longterm addition to the club if they make required impact. I would only take one of them on loan with affordable non-obligatory buy option but of course negotiating that would be tough as City/Chelsea would prefer to sell immediately if decide they don't count on them anymore. And we can't afford to pay even 20m in January let alone 50m+ which would surely be needed to get Werner/Sterling.

And in case of Cabral I think we're looking at someone who could come in and make impact for next 6 months but then be a solid squad player rather than a starter (unless he'd deserve that role ofc) when we can hopefully upgrade the team in summer. Basically a cheap plan B striker which we've been (unsuccessfully) looking for for years.
[MENTION=20770]Raketa10[/MENTION]: Don't disagree with your post but Werner is in different galaxy compared to LDJ or KPB. I think Xavi could see him as his version of Villa or Henry (not saying he has their class). I think he sees Fati longterm as a #9 but could use his versatility. The same if we can buy Adeyemi (who looks to be our primary summer target) who can play all positions upfront and could cover as RW for Dembouz if he leaves or when he'll get injured again if he stays or #9 if Fati gets injured. Bring him in and let Xavi figure out how to set up the attack. There is nothing wrong having versatile players in the team as long as they have required quality and if you have a coach who is smart enough to use them to their strengths (which I think Xavi is). That's why Henry and Villa worked well playing as a LW.

Blackened

A quality player still. Why on Earth Bayern didnt go for him, especially for the cheap price? Obviously not in Lewys league but still. They still lack a proper 9,even if Mane could sort of do it.

Temptation

A quality player still. Why on Earth Bayern didnt go for him, especially for the cheap price? Obviously not in Lewys league but still. They still lack a proper 9,even if Mane could sort of do it.

Definitely way more complete than that Polish tap in Merchant! :mou:

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Werner is a player who waste a lot of chances per game, i already saw it in Leipzig but he got many chances to score so at the end he could score his goal and his goal/match ratio looked better than it really was. From Lewa to Werner is a massive undergrade.

Home of Barca Fans