Ali Dia

slicknick

Will be a bit of a parodty rather than a tribute,but technically,he can be considered as a "legend in his own right". :p

Surely the biggest prank in the history of the professional football/soccer,Ali Dia was born on August 20th,1965.

After a playing career at the lower levels in France and Germany, and having already had failed trials at Port Vale, Gillingham, and Bournemouth, Dia joined non-league club Blyth Spartans, where he made only one substitute appearance – on 9th of November, 1996 in a Northern Premier League game against Boston United.

Days later, Dia was signed by Southampton manager Graeme Souness, after Souness received a phone call purporting to be from Liberian international and former FIFA World Player of the Year, George Weah. "Weah" told Souness that Dia was his cousin, had played for Paris Saint-Germain, and had played 13 times for his country. None of this was actually true, and the phone call was made by a fellow university student of Dia's to Souness, suggesting that he should give Dia a chance with Southampton. Souness was convinced, and signed Dia on a one-month contract.

Dia played just one game for Southampton, wearing the number 33 shirt, against Leeds United on 23 November 1996; he had originally been scheduled to play in a reserve team friendly against Arsenal, but the match was cancelled due to a waterlogged pitch. In the match against Leeds, he came on as a substitute for Matthew Le Tissier after 32 minutes, but was later substituted himself (for Ken Monkou) in the 53rd minute;Leeds won the match 2–0. Le Tissier said: "He ran around the pitch like Bambi on ice; it was very embarrassing to watch."

Dia was released by Southampton two weeks into his contract. He briefly played for non-league Gateshead, before leaving in February 1997.Dia only played eight games for the North East outfit.

kattanib

Seems like I'm the only one that knows of this?

🤦 And here I was angry wanting to scream at what seemed like disrespectful remarks regarding a legend

I thought this thread was about the Iranian player Ali Daei

Last edited:

slicknick

🤦 And here I was angry wanting to scream at what seemed like disrespectful remarks regarding a legend

I thought this thread was about the Iranian player Ali Daei

Lol, I can understand the confusion.

Meanwhile, I found a compilation of his game vs Leeds...That ball control, that first touch (not that there were many), and that positional awareness
:horse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3CKWsb9Ny0&t=1s

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans