Carlo Ancelotti

StarLord

Ah, so you are super-duper proud of your 5 mickey mouse cups where you beat tuff oppnenthz like Stade Reims (right, who?) or Eintracht Frankfurt in 3 knock-out rounds (boy hat must have been hard) with a little, maybe a little help from the then head of the state who helped you a little bit, just a little bit to get a semi, only semi good player who almost signed for Barca but then changed his mind 180° for - since this day - completely unknown reasons.

Boy, what an achievement and proof of your glorious fair play history. Please tell me more about it.

Or tell me how you only needed to spend a lil bit over a billion dollars in about a decade to achieve the great goal of winning 1 international title in an era of freedom, democracy and the principle of the free market where players weren't intimidated and during which time Barca only got 7 international titles and only did it with their homegrown players. Please tell me more of how superior your club is in a time where spanish clubs have equal rights, I am eager to listen to it.

I am a Barca fan by the way, but pretending that Real Madrid do not have a great history (Franco or no Franco) is bordering on intentional myopia. And no, the European Cup was not a Mickey Mouse Cup back in the day. Was it easier than it is today? Sure it was, but still. If we start dismissing entire periods in the history of European football, then why bother counting the periods in which AC Milan won their first titles? Or the periods in which Ajax/Bayern/Liverpool won theirs? Every football fan would start counting depending on when their club started winning it. :lucho:

The only acceptable cut-off point, is the one I note below, and even on that basis, Real Madrid come out looking pretty darn good. But yeah, since the Francoist system was dismantled and the CL became uber-competitve we have been the mainstays of the competition, and we not only pawn RM, but just about anyone in Europe as well.

Edit: Real Madrid have not even been the biggest net spenders in the past decade or so. People just like to shit on the Bernabeu club too much I guess.

The format change I'd guess.

The only rational way to do it, would be to separate the EC/CL into two periods. One from 1956 to 1999 and one from 2000 to today (since the top leagues were allowed to enter 4 different clubs in the CL)

I am guessing you meant that and with that I agree. Still, the Madridistas have the right to brag about their 10.

Last edited:

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
[MENTION=19806]StarLord[/MENTION], yes, that is what I meant. The CL is the European Cup's successor, so I won't begrudge RM fans the right to brag about their 10.

StarLord

[MENTION=19806]StarLord[/MENTION], yes, that is what I meant. The CL is the European Cup's successor, so I won't begrudge RM fans the right to brag about their 10.

Yeah, I agree 100%. But just to clarify, the European Cup was re-named the UEFA Champions League in the early 90s (1992 or 1993, I can't be arsed to look it up now) But for me, the real change which made it far tougher than ever before, was when in 1999/2000, the top leagues were allowed to enter 4 teams, and the three under the first three leagues could enter 3 clubs and so on and so forth.

Also, apropos the biggest spenders in European football:

These are the top net spenders in world football since 2002:

1. Chelsea (777.0)
2. Man City (705.4)
3. Real Madrid (682.3)
4. Manchester United (682.6)
5. Barcelona (478.8)
6. PSG (423.7)
7. Liverpool (362.8)
8. Bayern Munich (335.0)
9. Juventus (264.2)
10. Zenit (257.6)
11. Tottenham (231.1)
12. Napoli (200.3)
13. Fenerbache (192.2)
14. Wolfsburg (170.2)
15. Sunderland (158.1)
16. Aston Villa (157.6)
17. Fiorentina (151.4)
18. Dynamo Moscow (145.1)
19. Atletico Madrid (135.1)
20. Galatasaray (134.6)
21. Besiktas (123.2)
22. Dynamo Kiev (121.2)
23. Arsenal (119.0)
24. Stoke (117.7)
25. Inter Milan (112.6)
26. Rubin Kazan (106.9)
27. QPR (105.5)
28. AS Roma (94.7)
29. Spartak Moscow (93.8)
30. Lokomotiv Moscow (93.3)
71. Real Betis (28.4)
95. Villarreal (13.5)
100. Valencia (10.9)
122. Granada (0.5)
138. Almeria (+7.4)
143. Malaga (+9.3)
145. Recreativo Huelva (+9.9)
173. Levante (+24.7)
179. Espanyol (+28.3)
181. Racing Santander (+28.6)
183. Deportivo (+29.2)
185. Real Zaragoza (+29.5)
190. Celta Vigo (+32.3)
192. Getafe (+33.3)
202. Athletic Bilbao (+39.2)
208. Osasuna (+44.2)
209. Real Sociedad (+44.4)
235. Mallorca (+93.1)
236. Sevilla (+105.6)

*Figures from www.transfermarkt.de

ceefoo

Even if Rafa is an inept idiot, i wont blame him next season or the players when things go to shit. I will automatically give Perez all the blame in the future, no exceptions.
:?: How do you see RM lining up next season (under Benitez) with the new additions of; de Gea, Danilo, Lucas Silva etc? http://www.footballuser.com/post I'm anticipating a more compact, defensive Madrid team... and :thinking:

What would YOU like to see?

Morten

:?: How do you see RM lining up next season (under Benitez) with the new additions of; de Gea, Danilo, Lucas Silva etc? LINK DELETED I'm anticipating a more compact, defensive Madrid team... and :thinking:

Doesnt matter what i would like to see, or the fans, the players or the coach wants to see. Perez decides the formations and players picked.

ceefoo

Doesnt matter what i would like to see, or the fans, the players or the coach wants to see. Perez decides the formations and players picked.
It matters to me. I am interested to hear your opinion; that's why I'm asking!? That's the point of a forum; to give ones opinion.

Morten

It matters to me. I am interested to hear your opinion; that's why I'm asking!? That's the point of a forum; to give ones opinion.

All i can say is that i want Perez to get the hell out of the club, all else doesnt really matter to me currently. As long as Perez is here, i dont care if we play 2-4-4 or 7-3-0.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana

To answer your question, I think we will see a return to a Mou-esque compact, defensive 4-2-3-1 since it seems to be Rafa's go to formation.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
:?: How do you see RM lining up next season (under Benitez) with the new additions of; de Gea, Danilo, Lucas Silva etc? LINK DELETED I'm anticipating a more compact, defensive Madrid team... and :thinking:

What's that? We have our formation code here

Vilarrubi

I'm expecting less goals. Not sure why just do not think they will replicate Ancelotti's attacking tactics.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
WHAT!? Are they not allowed?

:nervous: Hope I'm not "up for a banning". I've only just come back. :D

No. Relax. It's more convenient to use the forum's built in function. Just click on the little blaugrana kit icon and replace the zeros with player names.

Home of Barca Fans