Jeremy Mathieu

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
I watched Abdennour on YT and he's really similar to Mathieu - but that includes weaknesses. I don't think he'd be much better than Jeremy, and he can't play until winter anyway.

I don't know I haven't watched him, someone else then, Mathieu never has been a long term solution anyway, I am guessing he'll be replaced next summer.

God Serena

His form is currently similar or worse than Mathieu's. Trying Verm there wouldn't hurt, I think. But not in the next 3 games, they're all too difficult.
Alba needs a proper backup.

This is why I support the promotion of Grimaldo more than anyone else. The B team had a rough season but the need for a LB who is competent is just too great.

Darko

He was solid the whole season, let's not overreact now.
But as we saw last season and yesterday, he's just not good at LB and from now on it's Lucho's fault entirely if Mathieu has stinkers like yesterday on the LB position.

PhilS

Seeing the other players playing on the back line this pre-season makes me much more appreciative of Alves, Pique, Masch and Alba. Vermaelen has looked the best of the lot, but that is not saying much. Unless some of these backups start playing better soon, disastrous play by the back-line depth could cost Barca big-time this season.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
This is why I support the promotion of Grimaldo more than anyone else. The B team had a rough season but the need for a LB who is competent is just too great.

I'm sorry, but Grimaldo is nowhere near the level of being Alba backup... Mathieu had a pretty bad game, and has been underwhelming when played as LB, but the truth is that he is still a better option than any other player we currently have, including Barca B.

Perhaps Vermaelen could be an option, but the guy hasn't played real football in more than a year, so it's best to take it easy with him...

God Serena

I'm sorry, but Grimaldo is nowhere near the level of being Alba backup... Mathieu had a pretty bad game, and has been underwhelming when played as LB, but the truth is that he is still a better option than any other player we currently have, including Barca B.

Perhaps Vermaelen could be an option, but the guy hasn't played real football in more than a year, so it's best to take it easy with him...

The way I see it, what we saw from Mathieu was so bad it couldn't actually get much worse, so it wouldn't hurt to at least give Grimaldo a chance to see how he fares.

serghei

Mathieu is done for me at LB. He played two times there vs good teams and he was by far the worst player on the pitch both times. I'm pretty sure that if he plays there vs Bilbao on San Mames, he'll look awful again. He should only play CB.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
The way I see it, what we saw from Mathieu was so bad it couldn't actually get much worse, so it wouldn't hurt to at least give Grimaldo a chance to see how he fares.

So you think a 19 year old with no significant experience in top football should play a final against Athletic Bilbao? I'm all for giving him chances, but this aren't the right matches to do it...

I understand that you don't want Mathieu to play LB, but we can't just throw Grimaldo to the lions (no pun intended) in an important game... So in my opinion it's either Adriano or Mathieu or maybe Vermaelen as viable options... Or maybe Lucho can go crazy and use a 3 man defense or even re-discover Pedro as a LB, hahaha...

khaled_a_d

Mathieu is done for me at LB. He played two times there vs good teams and he was by far the worst player on the pitch both times. I'm pretty sure that if he plays there vs Bilbao on San Mames, he'll look awful again. He should only play CB.

Didn't he play against Valencia in 2nd half last year? he was much better than Adriano and was actually quit solid
I think he can be used there but against smaller opponents tbh .but against tougher teams we are simply in trouble if Alba is injured

God Serena

So you think a 19 year old with no significant experience in top football should play a final against Athletic Bilbao? I'm all for giving him chances, but this aren't the right matches to do it...

I understand that you don't want Mathieu to play LB, but we can't just throw Grimaldo to the lions (no pun intended) in an important game... So in my opinion it's either Adriano or Mathieu or maybe Vermaelen as viable options... Or maybe Lucho can go crazy and use a 3 man defense or even re-discover Pedro as a LB, hahaha...

Never said anything about Athletic mate. Obviously now wouldn't be a good time for a youngster to make his debut. I'm just saying that over the course of the season it makes more sense to have a 19 year old with no significant experience be be the sub instead of an old man without the slightest clue of how to play the position. As far as the LB position goes for tomorrow, we're pretty screwed but I'd rather go with Vermaelen simply because he hasn't screwed up yet, and we know Mathieu will.

Home of Barca Fans