Jeremy Mathieu

Jombi

He will turn 32 this year. We should be treating him as a useful squad player, but not expecting him to be world class even though we paid 20m for him. He apparently still smokes so who knows how long he will keep his level and pace, but so far, he is alright.

Last edited:

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
Call me a bartra fanboy but as I said Mathieu did a very decent job, though just compare the few times he tried to go forward with the times Pique did, he lost the ball everytime, he passed it to partners that were surrounded by city, etc etc .. for me it's his biggest weakness, he's great at cuting the action and getting the ball out, but if he has to keep the ball and make an interesting pass he just doesn't know how to do that.

Kohe321

Yeah, that's why it would be smartest of him to keep it simple and pass it to Pique or Stegen most of the time. He's great at intercepting and winning the ball, or forcing attackers out wide and dismantling them there, so if he can actually keep possession after he wins the ball it would be awesome.

Work on your passing please Mathieu, and we'll look the other way every time the media posts a picture of you with a cigarette in your mouth :lol:

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
Yeah, that's why it would be smartest of him to keep it simple and pass it to Pique or Stegen most of the time. He's great at intercepting and winning the ball, or forcing attackers out wide and dismantling them there, so if he can actually keep possession after he wins the ball it would be awesome.

Work on your passing please Mathieu, and we'll look the other way every time the media posts a picture of you with a cigarette in your mouth :lol:

He can't, and frankly, if he HAS to play, i'd rather he has the ball the least possible :lol:

Leo_Messi

Mathieu had a good game but he still had 1-2 misplaced clearances that could have been dangerous. Also he had many rough clearances where he just kicked the ball as far away as possible instead of looking up and playing a safe pass to a teammate.

Overall a good performance though and he surprised me positively. A great squad player but I don't think that he is starting material. Not sure whether he should start against RM on Sunday. I don't trust him against the likes of Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema, Isco etc.

He was horrible in the first game too despite playing as a left back.

JamDav1982

Call me a bartra fanboy but as I said Mathieu did a very decent job, though just compare the few times he tried to go forward with the times Pique did, he lost the ball everytime, he passed it to partners that were surrounded by city, etc etc .. for me it's his biggest weakness, he's great at cuting the action and getting the ball out, but if he has to keep the ball and make an interesting pass he just doesn't know how to do that.

To say Mathieu 'lost the ball everytime' he tried to pass is just complete lies to try and downplay his performance.

The vast majority of time his passing was spot on and three of Barcas best breaking chances came from Mathieu winning ball early and passing out quickly from back.

He was sloppy with the ball a couple of times but to try and turn that into being poor on ball everytime is ridiculous and just biased from someone who was so smug about Mathieu being shit.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
I publicly apologize for calling him the weak link in today's lineup... He was amazing, not only because of the goal, but his defending was superb!

Home of Barca Fans