Germany

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Nice to hear, but still suprising. I always felt there have always been some aggressive emotions towards germany when croatia played us, like at euros 96 or wc 98 and finally euros 2008. But good to see that i was wrong, or at least not everyone shares them :)

We felt that we were ripped off at Euro and made up for it at WC. Make no mistake, historically and emotionally, there's a special connection between the Germans and the Croats.

Guardian

Historically (if I'm not mistaken) Croatian lands were part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, so Croatia definitely is related to the German culture and language.
I can see one Bundesliga team in each european final (Europa league and CL) so that is good for German football. This generation of players is very promising, they have quite good load of young players, who can be the core of Bundesteam for the next 10 years: T. Muller, Kroos, Adler, Neuer, Boenich, Boateng, Badstuber, Ozil, Marin, Gentner, Aogo... to name few.
I'll be cheering for England though :)

10Rivaldo

Hoy, mañana y siempre traductor
Ballack out of the World Cup...blessing in disguise for Germany imo, but sorry for him

Jesse1509

Detalles, detalles, siempre detalles
Heiko Westermann will miss the WC too....what is it with Germany and injuries these days?

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
Ye dunno. And while he is actually a CD, he can also act as backup DM (he did this quite often for Schalke). So we are getting really thin on DMs lately.

Guardian

Heiko is a big loss too. But germany still have a strong team. Here's my preferred line-up (based on current form):

-----------------Neuer
Lahm--Mertesacker--Boateng--Jansen
---------Khedira----Schweini------------
T. Muller-------Ozil------Podolski/Trochowski
-----------------Cacau

Podolski still hasn't found his best form, but he would add a lot of aggression on the left. I like Andi Beck and he could replace Jansen, moving Lahm to the left. Klose is very experienced, he has the great opportunity to become the all-time WC topscorer, so he would get plenty of minutes. I like Gomez, he's overrated, but I think he could do the job.

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
Im still really wondering if we should go 451 or 442. I think both formations are easily playable with our squad and it might come down to the opponent. General the 451 looked really really fluid in our 1st half vs Hungary on saturday. Khedira, Kroos, Özil, Trochoswki looked really vivid there, outplaying and outpassing them nicely ... the prob was that they somehow didnt score from it, appart the penalty. Then when we ran the 442 in the 2nd half, the flow was much less, but it was more efficient when both strikers scored.

For the 451 i would choose:

-----------------Neuer
Lahm - Friedrich - Mertesacker - Aogo
--------Khedira ----- Schweinst
-----Özil ------ Kroos ------- Jansen
---------------- Klose

442:
-----------------Neuer
--Özil----------------------------Kroos--
----------Gomez-----Cacau--------------

It might look odd that i chose different strikers for the two formations here. But Klose is the best striker for a 451 formation. His style is similar to that of Olic (or even Etoo if you like) ... very high work rate, good pace and trying to get into the box again to finish with either head or feet. His problem is just that he is really out of form. I dont see another striker of that sort for a 451 otherwise. Gomez is the best finisher, but he is just not mobile enough. Cacau is a deep lying forward, complementing excelently with Gomez (they played together for years in Stuttgart), so its an easy choice to field both when you run 2 strikers - they also showed that in the final 30 min vs HUngary.

Some other choices: I think Friedrich is set as 2nd CD now after Westermann is out. I kinda like Tasci a lot too, as he is simple the better footballer. But Friedrich is high on form, very solid and experienced, so its fine with me - i also prefer him over Boateng currently. The fullback options are hard: frist you have to decide where to field Lahm - left or right. He says je prefers right now after playing it for a year in Bayern, so i put him there and take the best left back option in Aogo. Jansen is generally an option there too, but not only do i want him in the left midfield, its the far better position for him as he is defensively rather weak. Although that can be a valid option when being behind in score. When oyu move Lahm left, its not unlikely to play Boateng right. Or Friedrich right and Boateng in the center ... you see how variable this team is ... :)

The holding midfielders are absolutely certain now that Ballack is gone. Actually this is the best combo imo, even with Ballack available, but whatever ;)

Then i really like Özil, Kroos and Jansen as offensive midfielders, although it looks like Podolski will be occupying Jansens spot for now, but Jansen to be fair is still not 100% fit and in form ... lets hope that will change. Then you stil have Müller and Marin as options. You can field both from the start or use them as super subs, and esp. Marin is imo a very strong supersub there. Müller could be fielded behind the lone striker like in Munich too, when you want to take more care defensively (and use his extreme work rate), if oyu want to fight teams that play through the middle and like to overpower you. But honestly most even top-teams play with 6 man behind it seems. That also goes for Serbia and Argentina, our toughest group opponent and our potential 1/4-final opponent. Müller might really work vs Spain, but thats it probably.

So much from me now ... :)

or actually one last thing: what really amazes me is how variable our squad is. We can change the look of our squad like hardly any other team, and keep a very high level with it. Thats b/c the level of the players is soo tight - we might lack the absolute world class players (although we have a few that seem on their way), but we have 10-15 players on high international level, and the rest close after. Hardly anyone currently knows how the starting lineup will look, prolly not even Löw. And that makes it really hard for any opponent to figure out our gameplan.

So im really looking forward to the WC currently and i have a real good feeling about it. Imo we currently have the technically and tactically best squad we ever had for a tournament, and it should be really worth and enjoying to watch germany play now (esp. if Löw runs my pref 451 formation ;)). The thing we lack is experience and maybe mental strenght. Thats why i think we play a really good tournament, but will be tragically eliminated by Argentina in the quarters, after being more than an equal opponent. Bu then i also like to call us favorites for the WC 2014 already :)

Last edited:

Beast

The Observer
Nice one Tren, my head says it's Germany-Holland-England - Brazil in the semi's .. i see Spain failing easily

dalitis8

Banned
Germany will in all probability do well...again...

But I really don't get why so many of you are so pessimistic on Spain's chances....

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Im still really wondering if we should go 451 or 442. I think both formations are easily playable with our squad and it might come down to the opponent. General the 451 looked really really fluid in our 1st half vs Hungary on saturday. Khedira, Kroos, Özil, Trochoswki looked really vivid there, outplaying and outpassing them nicely ... the prob was that they somehow didnt score from it, appart the penalty. Then when we ran the 442 in the 2nd half, the flow was much less, but it was more efficient when both strikers scored.

For the 451 i would choose:

-----------------Neuer
-----Özil ------ Kroos ------- Jansen
---------------- Klose

442:
-----------------Neuer
--Özil----------------------------Kroos--
----------Gomez-----Cacau--------------

It might look odd that i chose different strikers for the two formations here. But Klose is the best striker for a 451 formation. His style is similar to that of Olic (or even Etoo if you like) ... very high work rate, good pace and trying to get into the box again to finish with either head or feet. His problem is just that he is really out of form. I dont see another striker of that sort for a 451 otherwise. Gomez is the best finisher, but he is just not mobile enough. Cacau is a deep lying forward, complementing excelently with Gomez (they played together for years in Stuttgart), so its an easy choice to field both when you run 2 strikers - they also showed that in the final 30 min vs HUngary.

Some other choices: I think Friedrich is set as 2nd CD now after Westermann is out. I kinda like Tasci a lot too, as he is simple the better footballer. But Friedrich is high on form, very solid and experienced, so its fine with me - i also prefer him over Boateng currently. The fullback options are hard: frist you have to decide where to field Lahm - left or right. He says je prefers right now after playing it for a year in Bayern, so i put him there and take the best left back option in Aogo. Jansen is generally an option there too, but not only do i want him in the left midfield, its the far better position for him as he is defensively rather weak. Although that can be a valid option when being behind in score. When oyu move Lahm left, its not unlikely to play Boateng right. Or Friedrich right and Boateng in the center ... you see how variable this team is ... :)

The holding midfielders are absolutely certain now that Ballack is gone. Actually this is the best combo imo, even with Ballack available, but whatever ;)

Then i really like Özil, Kroos and Jansen as offensive midfielders, although it looks like Podolski will be occupying Jansens spot for now, but Jansen to be fair is still not 100% fit and in form ... lets hope that will change. Then you stil have Müller and Marin as options. You can field both from the start or use them as super subs, and esp. Marin is imo a very strong supersub there. Müller could be fielded behind the lone striker like in Munich too, when you want to take more care defensively (and use his extreme work rate), if oyu want to fight teams that play through the middle and like to overpower you. But honestly most even top-teams play with 6 man behind it seems. That also goes for Serbia and Argentina, our toughest group opponent and our potential 1/4-final opponent. Müller might really work vs Spain, but thats it probably.

So much from me now ... :)

or actually one last thing: what really amazes me is how variable our squad is. We can change the look of our squad like hardly any other team, and keep a very high level with it. Thats b/c the level of the players is soo tight - we might lack the absolute world class players (although we have a few that seem on their way), but we have 10-15 players on high international level, and the rest close after. Hardly anyone currently knows how the starting lineup will look, prolly not even Löw. And that makes it really hard for any opponent to figure out our gameplan.

So im really looking forward to the WC currently and i have a real good feeling about it. Imo we currently have the technically and tactically best squad we ever had for a tournament, and it should be really worth and enjoying to watch germany play now (esp. if Löw runs my pref 451 formation ;)). The thing we lack is experience and maybe mental strenght. Thats why i think we play a really good tournament, but will be tragically eliminated by Argentina in the quarters, after being more than an equal opponent. Bu then i also like to call us favorites for the WC 2014 already :)

Thanx. Good to see you optimistic.
It really is a a good thing to have a group of players at the same level as everyone will be fighting for their spot. As for mental strength and experience... I do agree you are lacking a bit more experience but the mental strength was never a problem with German teams. SA teams have the technique, Sub Sahara the athleticism, you have team spirit, determination and that iron will that is deeply instilled in your players imo.
In a way, Ballack out could be a blessing in disguise as it adds up to your strong point that is team-play.
One more question: What about Kießling?

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Germany could conceivably play England in the second round - which is not too hard to imagine with the German's group.

TBH I just don't rate their defence at all and I think England would beat them in the second round quite comfortably tbh if they were to face eath other then. I mean Ghana on African turf and Serbia are no gimme's plus Australia won't be a whitewash win for the Germans - they will have to work very hard in each game and give a large amount of energy, which I think will cost them.

Same with Holland. They have a very poor defence and are reknowned bottlers so I don't know what Gio is thinking naming them. TBH they are my surprise casualty to go out in the group stages. I agree their front 4 is world class, but they often act as individuals rather than as a group and this too will cost them.

Home of Barca Fans