Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Eetu

Adormit
Its the feminism and swedish central media in general, its always down to having the cake and eating it. One day they say its two different sports, the next day the argument is that its the same sport and they are equal.

The idiots in this case talk about the importance of voicing opinions on the matter. Because Zlatan just voiced his ehh. . Uhm. . flawed opinion? Surely central media decides what is the correct point of view.

One day feminism tells me women are weaker in a lot of fields because of a historical patriarchy. Ok. The next day I slip and state that women are indeed weaker in one of those fields. They go crazy, and say women are in fact not weaker. Uhm, ok. So I ask, well what about the patriarchy? And instead they say im a pig, or similair.

Go sweden.

What if we were to treat these as two different, but somewhat equal, forms of entertainment with enough similarities and common terminology to make comparisons between two skillful but cocky forwards justified?

Eetu

Adormit
Is there a discussion? This far it has only looked like an ensemble with random issues and a chance to act upon them.

Though providing links to said articles might open up the issue to an outsider like me. A quick googling left me with the impression that these insecurities weren't even the top Zlatan-story of past few days there.

Mitchell1978

Spain and Barca have shown the world you don't have to be the biggest, strongest or tallest to win, to play the best football or to dominate on the pitch, just like there are physical differences between female and male bodies and statistically the average man is taller, stronger and faster than the average woman, the same is true for the average Spanish national team player and the average Scandinavian national team player. Barca is the best example why the fact that there is a a gap in the skill level of football between male and female teams can't be put down to height or strength. There is no reason why highly skilled players that er neither strong nor tall like Xavi, Verratti, Iniesta, Neymar shouldn't have a female counterpart.
The reason why female football is technically levels below male is down to the lack of competition in female football compared to male football, there are simply not enough players to drive the level up.
The same thing can be said about many male national teams like the Swedish. How many of the Swedish players would be called to the Spanish national team if the were Spanish instead? Yeah, only Zlatan.

The difference in speed, strength, endurance between men and women is massive. In most sports women are at the level of 15/16 year old boys, no amount of training, competition is going to narrow that difference significantly.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Well....... The difference is there. A couple of years ago I played for something we call an Interkrets team here which is basically the highest level of junior teams here. We played a practice match against the National Women team(albeit half of the team were reserves) and we won 13-1 or 14-1.

F

Flavia

There is a difference, obviously. Players like Marta are still rare. But she's better than a lot of male players. One can't forget women's football is pratically amateur, compared to men's.
Women sometimes can match to men's ability, though. But it depends on a lot of factors. For instance, most of the WNBA teams would beat the teams from NBB(brazilian basketball league).

Stric

Yes, good post, and in a way, that is EXACTLY what Zlatan was talking about. He never said women were inferior in general, he was referring specifically to women's football, specifically in Sweden. And he was right about it.

Mitchell1978

There is a difference, obviously. Players like Marta are still rare. But she's better than a lot of male players. One can't forget women's football is pratically amateur, compared to men's.
Women sometimes can match to men's ability, though. But it depends on a lot of factors. For instance, most of the WNBA teams would beat the teams from NBB(brazilian basketball league).

A league of adult men? I guarantee you they can't, they wouldn't even win one match against professional adult men. Besides all the other physical differences there's also the height difference in basketball.

Another example, late 90s Serena and Venus Williams each played a set against Karsten Braasch, a male tennis player ranked 203 at the time, he won 6-1 and 6-2.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karsten_Braasch

F

Flavia

A league of adult men? I guarantee you they can't, they wouldn't even win one match against professional adult men. Besides all the other physical differences there's also the height difference in basketball.

Another example, late 90s Serena and Venus Williams each played a set against Karsten Braasch, a male tennis player ranked 203 at the time, he won 6-1 and 6-2.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karsten_Braasch

The women in wnba are taller than most of the brazilian players. They look stronger as well. Basketball in the US is in a different level. If you watch a game from wnba, and one from nbb, the difference is impressive.

Mitchell1978

The women in wnba are taller than most of the brazilian players. They look stronger as well. Basketball in the US is in a different level. If you watch a game from wnba, and one from nbb, the difference is impressive.

To be honest i haven't watched either league, but i did watch the woman's olympics basketball tournament, and when you compare it to the men's game its a totally different sport, much slower, hardly any athleticism, there really is no comparison.

F

Flavia

To be honest i haven't watched either league, but i did watch the woman's olympics basketball tournament, and when you compare it to the men's game its a totally different sport, much slower, hardly any athleticism, there really is no comparison.

That's the same impression I had, when watching nbb, after watching wnba :p
Brazilian basketball is quite weak right now.

That's why I was specific. It's quite hard, but not impossible, for a women's team to beat men's.

M

Messi4life

Men's football generates more money than women's football, just like the players in the EPL generates more money than the players in the Chinese Super League. Would be pretty weird if we would start talking equality and 'racism' just because a Chinese person also works in 90 minutes, but do not have the same benefits, fancy cars, etc. as Englishmen. It has nothing to do with gender or ethnicity to do - it's a matter of quality and supply/demand.

Last edited:
B

beautifulgame

What if we were to treat these as two different, but somewhat equal, forms of entertainment with enough similarities and common terminology to make comparisons between two skillful but cocky forwards justified?

Is there a discussion? This far it has only looked like an ensemble with random issues and a chance to act upon them.

Though providing links to said articles might open up the issue to an outsider like me. A quick googling left me with the impression that these insecurities weren't even the top Zlatan-story of past few days there.

so much this. nice post.

Home of Barca Fans