Daniel Alves

Bobo32

I could see Alves make a bit of ridiculous demands tbh
But his departure was maybe as big of a deal as anything that happened in the squad the last 10 years.
Had he stayed 5 more years, giving time for a good replacement to appear, I think it'd be enough to get that "at least one more CL" that should've been taken.
To buy a player and it doesn't work out is understandable, something you have to be aware of the risk of with every player bought
But to lose a world class player prematurely and not be able to replace him even to 50% after 5 years is really bad.

Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta and Villa were never really replaced either, and the club had all the time to find replacements, but at least they didn't leave as prematurely.

Nazario1985

As a good manager you have to compare those ridiculous demands to what can be done without him, their is no reference to a "demand" without weighing it.

As turns out we lacked horribly in that position, tried bunch of names & ruined Roberto's career on that RB.

All this had a huge cost which I don't think the "ridiculous" demand from Dani would have surpassed.

malvolio

But his departure was maybe as big of a deal as anything that happened in the squad the last 10 years.
Had he stayed 5 more years, giving time for a good replacement to appear, I think it'd be enough to get that "at least one more CL" that should've been taken.
To buy a player and it doesn't work out is understandable, something you have to be aware of the risk of with every player bought
But to lose a world class player prematurely and not be able to replace him even to 50% after 5 years is really bad.

Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta and Villa were never really replaced either, and the club had all the time to find replacements, but at least they didn't leave as prematurely.

this is the way fc barcelona operates. apart from a couple of exceptions, we ditched every star player we had. many times without logic or a plan on how to replace them.

and some people in here were crying that we're not as ruthless as madrid :lol:

Bobo32

As a good manager you have to compare those ridiculous demands to what can be done without him, their is no reference to a "demand" without weighing it.

As turns out we lacked horribly in that position, tried bunch of names & ruined Roberto's career on that RB.

All this had a huge cost which I don't think the "ridiculous" demand from Dani would have surpassed.

Yeah, I don't know if it was on the "manager", but Alves was the best RB in the world when he left, and he is evidently still good enough for Barcelona today... He had all the right to make demands, and they could be pretty ridiculous and it would still make sense to meet them - in contrast to the smallest demands of players like Griezmann, Dembele, Vidal etc.
I remember himself saying something about not having very high demands, but feeling forced out by the club, though...

re: hindsight - I wouldn't have the guts to criticize anything about it if I had cheered when he left, but I was very angry, surprised and worried when the club let him go.

JamDav1982

Alves was slaughtered on here for most of his last few seasons bar end of 2014/15.

Lot of revisionism going on.

He was offered a contract that had a one year option on it and decided to leave as thought should have been offered longer and did not like the club trying to sign a RB.

Was not kicked out the club in way made out but could argue they should have offered him longer contract when renewed but as said to make out he was best RB in world and that was some universal opinion at that time is false.

Bobo32

this is the way fc barcelona operates. apart from a couple of exceptions, we ditched every star player we had. many times without logic or a plan on how to replace them.

and some people in here were crying that we're not as ruthless as madrid :lol:

I was going to say with the exception of Laporta, but of course Eto'o was under his spell, and even though it might've been correct in the long run it was a bad way of letting him go.
It is a tough spot to be at the top though, it is inevitable that you'll sometimes have to get rid of big players prematurely, and it's very tough to stay on top without paying overprices.

Bobo32

Alves was slaughtered on here for most of his last few seasons bar end of 2014/15.

Lot of revisionism going on.

He was offered a contract that had a one year option on it and decided to leave as thought should have been offered longer and did not like the club trying to sign a RB.

Was not kicked out the club in way made out but could argue they should have offered him longer contract when renewed but as said to make out he was best RB in world and that was some universal opinion at that time is false.

lol it's not about "universal opinion" but about what was correct
I certainly don't speak for the opinion of this forum, that now focuses on bashing Busquets, Pique, ter Stegen and Alba, but I speak for what I thought at the time.

JamDav1982

lol it's not about "universal opinion" but about what was correct
I certainly don't speak for the opinion of this forum, that now focuses on bashing Busquets, Pique, ter Stegen and Alba, but I speak for what I thought at the time.

You always speak shite and claim you thought something at time so irrelevant what you claim and not aimed at you as your opinion is worth responding to.

Home of Barca Fans