Copa 1/16 Final

Thursday, January 21, 21:00 CET

E_pU1KVrr4afxsEcdJyI0w_96x96.png
-
paYnEE8hcrP96neHRNofhQ_96x96.png

----

soul24rage

My lineup

Neto---Mingueza, Umtiti, Lenglet, Junior---Pjanic, Busi, Puig---Trincao, Griezmann, Braithwaite

Sub out:

Griezmann for Konrad
Busi for Jandro (from Barca B) if we are winning.

If we can't beat Cornella with a mix of starters and first team squad players, then this team has no business being in this Copa. (I know Cornella beat ATM)

JerseyAddict

Try something new. Cross over the old farths... This is already lost season. Why not use it for a real remake.
Lenglet out. Busi out. Alba out. Pjanic out. Etc rtc.

Since this is the 1/16-Finals of the copa this means there are 4 more possible games for Barca after Cornella. I would play an absolute B-Squad, no need to go all out in a season where the squad is already running on the last tire. If we go out this or next round so be it,
better have some weeks with only one game considering the CL qualification is at stake.

Messi983

My lineup

Neto---Mingueza, Umtiti, Lenglet, Junior---Pjanic, Busi, Puig---Trincao, Griezmann, Braithwaite

Sub out:

Griezmann for Konrad
Busi for Jandro (from Barca B) if we are winning.

If we can't beat Cornella with a mix of starters and first team squad players, then this team has no business being in this Copa. (I know Cornella beat ATM)

I'd go with

Neto; Sanz*, Mingueza, Umtiti, Firpo; Matheus, Pjanić; Trincao, Puig, Konrad; Braithwaite

Barca B players

* He's suspended for the next Barca B match so don't know if he'd be eligible to play for the first team.

Bring on Ilaix and Collado in 2nd half. One of Barca B players would need to be subbed out though.

Porque

Well the B team already won in Cornella. But I am expecting a tougher game than it should be, given that we will have low morale from the manner of the Bilbao defeat and that K4 will probably play more of the tired started than necessary to try and consolidate a victory here.

Andresito

Staff member
I'd go with

Neto; Sanz*, Mingueza, Umtiti, Firpo; Matheus, Pjanić; Trincao, Puig, Konrad; Braithwaite

Barca B players

* He's suspended for the next Barca B match so don't know if he'd be eligible to play for the first team.

Bring on Ilaix and Collado in 2nd half. One of Barca B players would need to be subbed out though.

Sanz was atrocious against Nastic. Would rather play Mingueza there.

Messi983

Since this is the 1/16-Finals of the copa this means there are 4 more possible games for Barca after Cornella. I would play an absolute B-Squad, no need to go all out in a season where the squad is already running on the last tire. If we go out this or next round so be it,
better have some weeks with only one game considering the CL qualification is at stake.

Nah, being eliminated against a Segunda B team is not something we need even if it would be with a rotated squad. I'd be ok if we then draw a solid La Liga team and go out against them in the next round.

Here are our fixtures before the first PSG game.

21.1 Cornella A (CDR)
24.1 Elche A
*27/28.1 CDR Round of 16
31.1. Athletic H
*3/4.2 CDR quarter-final
7.2. Betis A
*10.2. CDR semi-final first leg
13.2. Alaves H
16.2 PSG H

I'd go with a fully rotated team vs Cornella, then with starters against Elche.

Then depending on opponent go with a semi-rotated team in Copa (like 5-6 regulars and 5-6 backups). Some obvious changes in the lineup like Dest-Roberto (if he returns), Busi-Pjanić, Pedri/FDJ-Puig, Dembele-Trincao etc. I know people will disagree with this but I think if we'll really need to count on youngsters like Puig and Trincao more in second half of the season then it would be better for them to start some games alongside at least some regular starters. Messi could start this game as well as he'll be suspended for Cornella and Elche.

Further, go with starters vs Bilbao. And after what happened on Sunday hopefully they'll be fully motivated.

Then if we get to Copa quarter finals I'd again go with semi-rotated squad followed by some light rotations vs Betis (like 2-3 changes in the lineup).

If we're in the semi-final I'd go with the best possible lineup there and rotate heavily in the Alaves game just 3 days before we play PSG. Sure, we might drop points because of that but we're out of the title race anyway and I don't think top 4 is really in too much danger. Sociedad is already struggling and they'll probably be happy to qualify for EL, Villarreal won't keep their form up for a whole season as well so I think we'll finish top 4 relatively comfortable alongside Sevilla.

soul24rage

Nah, being eliminated against a Segunda B team is not something we need even if it would be with a rotated squad. I'd be ok if we then draw a solid La Liga team and go out against them in the next round.

Here are our fixtures before the first PSG game.

21.1 Cornella A (CDR)
24.1 Elche A
*27/28.1 CDR Round of 16
31.1. Athletic H
*3/4.2 CDR quarter-final
7.2. Betis A
*10.2. CDR semi-final first leg
13.2. Alaves H
16.2 PSG H

I'd go with a fully rotated team vs Cornella, then with starters against Elche.

Then depending on opponent go with a semi-rotated team in Copa (like 5-6 regulars and 5-6 backups). Some obvious changes in the lineup like Dest-Roberto (if he returns), Busi-Pjanić, Pedri/FDJ-Puig, Dembele-Trincao etc. I know people will disagree with this but I think if we'll really need to count on youngsters like Puig and Trincao more in second half of the season then it would be better for them to start some games alongside at least some regular starters. Messi could start this game as well as he'll be suspended for Cornella and Elche.

Further, go with starters vs Bilbao. And after what happened on Sunday hopefully they'll be fully motivated.

Then if we get to Copa quarter finals I'd again go with semi-rotated squad followed by some light rotations vs Betis (like 2-3 changes in the lineup).

If we're in the semi-final I'd go with the best possible lineup there and rotate heavily in the Alaves game just 3 days before we play PSG. Sure, we might drop points because of that but we're out of the title race anyway and I don't think top 4 is really in too much danger. Sociedad is already struggling and they'll probably be happy to qualify for EL, Villarreal won't keep their form up for a whole season as well so I think we'll finish top 4 relatively comfortable alongside Sevilla.

+1

serghei

Frankly, I don't care who we play as long as we go through. This is our only chance to get some silverware this season. The Cup is winnable for sure with what we have. The only team that is as good or better than us still left in it is Real Madrid.

It's pretty clear what Koeman has to do to get another year for me. Win the Cup (moderate difficulty), secure CL next season (should be easy), don't get embarrassed in CL. If we do all that, it's a good season for a rebuilding side with many problems. CL and La Liga are out of reach in terms of us having a chance to win either, so... we need to take what we can.

Not unless we draw Madrid. Otherwise, it would be non-performance on our part.

Last edited:

Vilarrubi

Anyone using Premier Sports in UK to watch La Liga, they’ve added Copa Del Rey now for free from this week :thumbsup:

Home of Barca Fans