Xabi Alonso

El Gato

Villarato!
Don't get the feeling Zidane is too fussed where he coaches at what point. Probably sooner than later so that his days as a player are in the memory of at least a few people in the NT squad (it's already rather poor on that front).
If Mbappe were to be brought into fold, quite certain he'd consider taking a punt at that team considering he'd know like 4-6 players in it (Courtois, Carva, Brazillians and Mendy if even around) while others are completely new and many are French. Wouldn't be an issue of having no respect like it might with Raul or Alonso

He got done over a barrel last time when he managed an excellent season (considering 60 injuries) though so it might come with a few asks if were to return

Temptation

2017 Xabi Alonso on which club he preferred out of Bayern, Madrid and Liverpool: "I would say Liverpool. It was strange because I thought I’d feel at home in Madrid due to it being my country but compared to Liverpool it wasn’t. Liverpool is like my 2nd home."

His answer yesterday clearly showed he's interested. Never denied anything related to the job.

He really loves the club. Always said great things about the club and Stevie. There's something special about Liverpool and we need a guy who can handle pressure to replace Klopp.

Andresito

Staff member
Seems like he's staying at Leverkusen for another year. Would be great for them if they can keep him and the team in full and have a go at CL next season.

After that it's inevitable they get picked apart in 2025 with Alonso headed to Madrid. Likes of Wirtz definitely moving as well.

Morten

Seems like he's staying at Leverkusen for another year. Would be great for them if they can keep him and the team in full and have a go at CL next season.

After that it's inevitable they get picked apart in 2025 with Alonso headed to Madrid. Likes of Wirtz definitely moving as well.

Bayern is going to pick them apart this summer already though, going to a big task winning the league next season.

El Gato

Villarato!
It's not inevitable IMO but will be very hard
Bundesliga would need to clearly develop as consistent competitor for talent compared to other options. If they were to beat Atleti, Barca, some Italian sides.. people might start looking at Leverkusen somewhat differently.

Andresito

Staff member
Bayern is going to pick them apart this summer already though, going to a big task winning the league next season.
Idk, Leverkusen pay low wages so there will be enticing financial offers from both Bayern and PL. But those offers will be there in 2025 too.

Alonso staying means most of the team is intact. Only reason for Alonso to stay is to keep building on this team and the next natural step is aiming for CL. Doubt he'd want to start over, he can do that at any of the multiple big club offers he has.

Morten

Idk, Leverkusen pay low wages so there will be enticing financial offers from both Bayern and PL. But those offers will be there in 2025 too.

Alonso staying means most of the team is intact. Only reason for Alonso to stay is to keep building on this team and the next natural step is aiming for CL. Doubt he'd want to start over, he can do that at any of the multiple big club offers he has.

How many of their key players are german? Cause it seems that, for basically every german player, the dream is to play for the "flagship".

There is only so much Alonso can do about that, and there will be offers from other clubs too, offers that Leverkusen can't match.

Andresito

Staff member
How many of their key players are german? Cause it seems that, for basically every german player, the dream is to play for the "flagship".

There is only so much Alonso can do about that, and there will be offers from other clubs too, offers that Leverkusen can't match.
Yes that's what I'm saying. If they can convince themselves as a group to stay it's possible that at most 1-2 players leave, and not likes of Wirtz.

Home of Barca Fans