Should Barca renovate the Camp Nou or build a new stadium?

Should Barca renovate the Camp Nou or build a new stadium?

• Total voters

Stric

Not so sure about that. Personally, I'd welcome the idea of extra seats with open arms. Nowadays it's nearly impossible to find a ticket for a high-profile-game (eg Clasico, CL-SF, etc.) at a decent price, because the demand is way higher than the supply. In case of extra seats, that would be evened out more nicely (I hope ;))

Also, if I remember correctly, if you want to apply for a season-ticket, there's currently a waiting-list of 20 years (or something like that). That's immense, and it could be greatly improved by adding additional seats.

It's true that the average attendance can be rather low at times, but that's because season-ticket holders don't free up their seats (when they don't plan to attend a particular game), and thus the non-season-ticket holders don't have a chance to buy a ticket for that particular game.

Adding 10% to the capacity would change nothing. People would be aware of it, more people would be interested and the demand would still be exactly as much higher than the supply as it is now, if not even higher. These things just work that way. If a phone company provides 1 GB of network traffic a month, the users will usually use some or most of it, sometimes some of them will reach the max, sometimes some of them will cross the limit. If it gets raised to 1.1 GB, they'll just quickly get used to having that extra 100 MB and do the same. The ones who do regularly reach the max will continue to do so. In that same manner, the games with normal attendance will be the same, and the popular games will still get sold-out as quickly as they do now. Not instantly, but as soon as people get used to it.

Besides, there's no point in expanding capacity if the average attendance isn't near maximum. They're making enough profit as it is, so I don't see why we need to invest in 10,000 more seats just for those fewer popular games that reach maximum capacity. Yes, we'd have a few thousand more to fit when there's a Clasico or something like that, but those are rare occasions, most of the time the current capacity is more than enough, and it seems to me it's not profitable. Besides, the Camp Nou is already the largest stadium in Europe. If there's one stadium that doesn't desperately need to raise capacity, it's this one.

If something has to be done, it should be some minor renovation to keep it in shape and maybe work on the outer side. The stadium itself seemed fine to me when I took the tour. In fact, it is by far the best looking stadium I've seen. It was a surpise to hear they have plans to either renovate it or build a new one.

Last edited:

Ursegor

World Champion
The stadium might not reach its full capacity (other than El Clasico and CL semi-finals) due to the current design. It's just a wild guess but I can understand if people don't want to watch a random La Liga game against Real Sociedad from here:

FCBarcelona_6_.v1312288446.JPG

Especially considering that Barcelona always press the opponent into their own half for the majority of a game. Imagine watching a full half from the above position while Barcelona play towards the goal on the other side of the pitch. You'll need binoculars to distinguish Messi from Alex Song. With a different design the stadium might attract 100,000 people even against lower table La Liga teams. Just a guess of course.

Alik

I hope we don't get a new stadium. Love the Camp Nou's history and prestige and the fact that it's the biggest in Europe.

Tomchin

but I can understand if people don't want to watch a random La Liga game against Real Sociedad from here:

FCBarcelona_6_.v1312288446.JPG

I can t see the pic on my mobile, but i guess it's a view from the general (highest seats in the stadium)?

I recently went to 3 games in the General, and i was very surprised by the quality of the seats. Of course you're far away from the pitch, but you have a very good overview on the whole pitch, and the atmosphere is quite good too. Plus, those seats are a lot more cheaper. I could be wrong, but i think in most of our games those General seats are quite well occupied, just because they're so cheap.

I've had other seats just behind the goal, quite close to the pitch, and even though those were a lot more expensive, i didnt like them at all, because you didnt have a good view on the whole pitch at all.

For me, the key problem with the low attendances, is that season-ticket-holders dont free up their tickets when they dont come to games. Anyone have a clue about the exact amount of season-ticket-holders? Is it 90.000, or a lot less?

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
The reason why they would want to build a new stadium is that the camp nou isn't up to the standard of newer arenas. They would make much more money, and improve the experience of visitors, if they were able to build a modern stadium with more restaurants and bathrooms.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
I can t see the pic on my mobile, but i guess it's a view from the general (highest seats in the stadium)?

I recently went to 3 games in the General, and i was very surprised by the quality of the seats. Of course you're far away from the pitch, but you have a very good overview on the whole pitch, and the atmosphere is quite good too. Plus, those seats are a lot more cheaper. I could be wrong, but i think in most of our games those General seats are quite well occupied, just because they're so cheap.

I've had other seats just behind the goal, quite close to the pitch, and even though those were a lot more expensive, i didnt like them at all, because you didnt have a good view on the whole pitch at all.

For me, the key problem with the low attendances, is that season-ticket-holders dont free up their tickets when they dont come to games. Anyone have a clue about the exact amount of season-ticket-holders? Is it 90.000, or a lot less?

It's about 70.000

Tomchin

That s a lot lower than i expected, what s your source for that?

The waiting-list for a season-ticket is supposedly 20 years, how is that possible when there're only to 70.000 season-ticket-holders currently? Does the club reserve 30.000 tickets per game for sponsors? I find that rather hard to believe.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
I've seen the numbers before, and it's about that much. Might be 75 or 78, but definitely less than 90.

Then there's tickets for game packs, too

A

Athletic

I didn't really like Camp Nou that much when I was there. Probably also has to do with the fact it was cold and raining (vs valencia feb 2012?) and there is just zero cover.

I would prefer a new more comfy stadium tbh

OrangeOpti

Barça
Whilst I love the history and prestige of Camp Nou, It's such a pain to get tickets. They should do something about season-ticket holders not showing up or cancelling.

Corb

Special 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...
Camp Nou is only full in big games. It only needs some restoration, nothing more really.

Home of Barca Fans