Rafael Márquez

Porque

Doubt we are selling Araujo, but he now owes us a discount.

The other two we can always sell if possible.

If we have 80m+ on the table for him and he is not renewing then we have to strongly consider it. Next Summer he is worth half, while CB is where we hold depth in quality.

Reality is if funds are tight that Christensen has more squad value considering he is a decent DMC which we may not be able to sign.

jamrock

If we have 80m+ on the table for him and he is not renewing then we have to strongly consider it. Next Summer he is worth half, while CB is where we hold depth in quality.

Reality is if funds are tight that Christensen has more squad value considering he is a decent DMC which we may not be able to sign.

Fair point, if he's holding hard on a renewal and that kind offer comes in, you definitely have to consider it.

Porque

Fair point, if he's holding hard on a renewal and that kind offer comes in, you definitely have to consider it.

Just want to add that I think Araujo will renew as he hasn't come across as one of those guys where extracting maximum wage is his motivation.

khaled_a_d

Yeah.
Main source seems to be F.Polo, who is considered tier 1 source.
However Polo has been talking non stop last month, he went full Gerard Romero. Which either means he is Deco new mouth piece, or know jack shit and cashing on reputation.
Interestingly, Polo previously said we were working on Amorim but now he is going to Liverpool. Probably we were hoping to low ball Sporting and that went out of the window with a club who can pay it, and on top of that give him signings.

I think this kind of support @Porque point. The club is heading for a bit of rebuild and youth movement with austerity measures and what is better for that than B team coach? Certainly not a Flick or a Tuchel who will whine all season long due to lack of signing. Amorim would have fit the description too.

I think this is also Deco strategy, who is a youth oriented SD from what it seems.
I expect us to try to renew everyone from FA class 2026, and probably extend loans of Felix/Cancelo (both were great for a free loans) but the alternative will always be a young player.

It doesn't help that FA class of 2024 is ass.

Messi983

Question.

Should the B team coach also be 3rd coach at the first team ( when fixtures align?).

Could have some benefits especially in our current situation when we depend a lot on promoting kids from within but I'm generally leaning towards no. Might work at a lower level (and some smaller clubs could be doing that already) but not in big clubs imo. Coach would be just too over worked and couldn't focus on a specific job. We're not only talking about him sitting on the first team bench during the games but also being present at trainings every day while at the same time also do everything at BA. That said, Rafa would probably be more useful than anyone in Xavi's current staff.

In other news, club reportedly wants to renew Rafa. Good news, he is doing well and would like to see him stay at BA for another year. Not so much on the first team bench but will give him a chance if they decide so. But I have feeling he might leave and try to prove himself outside of Barca if Xavi will stay.

Porque

Yeah. He doesn't really need another year at the B even if they promote. As you suggest, he could get a decent midtier LaLiga job as the likes of LE before did and Iraola.

One thing he has over Xavi is he is more in control of his emotions. He doesn't seem to be an outstanding tactician or anything, but he has always been a leader for club and country in his playing days and this seems to have extended to his management career do far.

khaled_a_d

I would like to see him staying another year, and if Mascherano do decent job in the Olympics, he should take over him in 2025, just like he did as a player before lol.

If not, I think Belletti will take over.

serghei

The club already had austerity measures up to this point. I think they are looking to improve the squad, not weakening it even more. Paid less money for our squad in transfer fees than fucking Everton and a bit more than Notthingham Forrest. How can it get more austere than bottom Premier League sides level spending?

Almost all of the main players are already registered anyway. If we manage to sell a highly rated player like Araujo or De Jong for a lot of money this is gonna allow us to sign 2-3 players in key positions that are very much needed. Especially if we manage to sign at 1 to 1.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Barca has 2nd highest paid first team squad in Europe according to UEFA btw.
There is simply several ways of looking at spending, in some of them we are the poorest and in others we are one of the biggest spenders.

Home of Barca Fans