Arda Turan

God Serena

Too many midfielders.

At the end of the day, Arda is regarded as a midfielder. Denis is guaranteed to stay and Deulofeu is back. Those two will be the backups for the LW and RW.

We're going to sign another midfielder too, so there's no spot in the squad for Samper unless someone is not registered or leaves. At the moment, no offers it seems.

Samper is the only actual backup for Busquets. Roberto can play there as well but if Samper plays well enough I see no reason why he shouldn't be considered for that first backup spot. The issue of too many midfielders really only applies to the likes of Rafinha, Denis, Gomes, etc. who will play in our two CM spots, as far as pivot goes Samper is safe.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Samper is the only actual backup for Busquets. Roberto can play there as well but if Samper plays well enough I see no reason why he shouldn't be considered for that first backup spot. The issue of too many midfielders really only applies to the likes of Rafinha, Denis, Gomes, etc. who will play in our two CM spots, as far as pivot goes Samper is safe.

Gomes? Roberto?

If you think he's safe, you're wrong. If anything, it seems like he's on his way out unless EV decides to keep him and sell other players. Arda not getting any offers so it got to be Rafinha and Gomes.

God Serena

Gomes? Roberto?

If you think he's safe, you're wrong. If anything, it seems like he's on his way out unless EV decides to keep him and sell other players. Arda not getting any offers so it got to be Rafinha and Gomes.

Gomes isn't a better DM than Samper, it's not even debatable. He only ever played there because Lucho had a massive hard on for him, anyways. The guy even played at RB. Anything to get him minutes.

I don't see how Arda staying affects Samper in any way and you're really not doing anything to explain how. Arda and Samper don't play the same position. Arda is even specifically mentioned as a player Valverde does not want. Whether he stays or goes I wouldn't expect him to have any type of role in the team come the beginning of the season. As I said, the solution to the "too many midfielders" problem isn't getting rid of a player who doesn't fill the same midfield role as any of those players. One of the CM/Winger hybrids are much more at risk, than the only backup pivot we actually have.

And you're also assuming we'll be signing a midfielder, which we probably won't.

Albo

The worst thing about Arda is that he could actually be a useful player for us but his entitled lazy ass just wants to have a good vacation.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Think he'll leave in January. He barely played last season, what chance does he have now that we'll have even more options.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Him attacking that journalist messed up big time too.

Why would any club want him after that?

PhilS

There are some midfielders on the team who are now determined to win their spots in the rotation. But over the next three weeks, some of them will become convinced that there is no playing time for them on this team. They will be willing to be loaned or sold before this transfer period closes.

khaled_a_d

Gomes isn't a better DM than Samper, it's not even debatable.

1- It is actually very debatable, and probably most coach would disagree with you.
2-Roberto won't be a back up for one position, most likely he will be used for at least 3 positions for back up, he deserves to get starter point and he will get by being back up for DM,CM & RB. expect to see him in all positions next season unless he benches one of Rakitic or Iniesta, can't see it. Same can be said on Gomes, it seems he is in EV plans and that means plenty of time for him.
3-That said I will have to agree that Arda won't affect Samper, Arda at this point is more of a back winger than anything. Regardless Samper I want him out

God Serena

1- It is actually very debatable, and probably most coach would disagree with you.
2-Roberto won't be a back up for one position, most likely he will be used for at least 3 positions for back up, he deserves to get starter point and he will get by being back up for DM,CM & RB. expect to see him in all positions next season unless he benches one of Rakitic or Iniesta, can't see it. Same can be said on Gomes, it seems he is in EV plans and that means plenty of time for him.
3-That said I will have to agree that Arda won't affect Samper, Arda at this point is more of a back winger than anything. Regardless Samper I want him out

Why do you want Samper out so bad? I'm pretty sure we have bigger problems. The kid has only played for the first team a few times and has done well each time.

khaled_a_d

Why do you want Samper out so bad? I'm pretty sure we have bigger problems. The kid has only played for the first team a few times and has done well each time.

I don't want him out, I am talking about the situation of the current squad.

I talked about it in the transfer thread:

So as a change of Neymar saga, I was thinking about the squad we have, as right now we have 27 1st team squad players with only 2 GKs.I remember Pep said before that the perfect number for squad that the manager can work with is around 22. Usually we have around 24 or 25 when we have 3 GK.
We surely need one more signing, so that will make it 28. we will need to cut 4 players.
Douglas is a clear name,then come Vermaelen and Munir. Arda seem like a popular name, but what if he doesn't leave? Do we keep 25 players with very crowded midfield? or do we let Samper or Denis? Or there is an offer for Rafinha?
I mean it doesn't really makes sense to keep all those players, not enough playing time for all of them. RM last season had 24 man squad with 3 GK and Mariano who played 300 minutes in toatl and no one complained about their depth

Samper will be obvious candidate to leave at least on loan, and if he would need to step up big time to earn minutes with such big squad, there isn't enough minutes for all players.
If we were able to get rid of Douglas, Munir, Vermaelen, Arda & Rafinha (last is good squad player we don't need to get rid of, but he may choose to leave) Samper might find a slot to stay, but even then he will need big time performances in order to get minutes from players like Iniesta,Rakiti,Busquets,new signing,Roberto, Denis & Gomes

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans