Let's talk about Xavi's replacement (2024)

Xavi's replacement

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrgandalf

Curious member
I haven't posted a so-called useful thread yet. This is the first one and I'm sorry that it has to be discussed about Xavi's replacement. But I think (and maybe it's not a valid thought) that the dressing room is no longer playing for Xavi and it's better to talk about realistic options. On the other hand, we are in a period of time where our choices are even more limited if he leaves early. So let's talk about our priorities. Do we prefer Xavi to stay until the end of the season at any cost? Or do we want him out? If he is going to go, who are our replacements? Do we choose a temporary option until the end of the season like Rafa Marquez or an available option like Hans Flick? And the main question here is what path will each of these choices open for us?

P.S: I would like all these conversations to be pointless and Xavi to turn the page.

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

I haven't posted a so-called useful thread yet. This is the first one and I'm sorry that it has to be discussed about Xavi's replacement. But I think (and maybe it's not a valid thought) that the dressing room is no longer playing for Xavi and it's better to talk about realistic options. On the other hand, we are in a period of time where our choices are even more limited if he leaves early. So let's talk about our priorities. Do we prefer Xavi to stay until the end of the season at any cost? Or do we want him out? If he is going to go, who are our replacements? Do we choose a temporary option until the end of the season like Rafa Marquez or an available option like Hans Flick? And the main question here is what path will each of these choices open for us?

P.S: I would like all these conversations to be pointless and Xavi to turn the page.
I think the players are still playing for Xavi, you can see that when they win, they way they celebrate with him. There is obvious respect there and actually that's one of Xavi's strong points. Xavi is just a very inexperienced manager and not setting the team up well enough with a good structure and patterns of play.

If they get rid of him mid season, my plan would be Marquez to the end of the season. If Marquez does really well, give him another season. If not, go for Slot and only Slot.

All the other managers that have been mentioned scare me. A bit like when people were advocating for Messi to leave and then left the forum and left the carcass that remained for the rest of us, who wanted Messi to stay, to deal with.

Honestly, most of them would be worse than Xavi and would sink Barca even further.

Raketa10

IMHO we should let Xavi finish this season no matter what. It's never good to make rush decisions in the middle of the season. Furthermore, appointing Marquez who has no significant experience, would be another horrible mistake. However, if we continue to perform like we currently are Xavi should be replaced next summer. In that case De Zerbi would probably be my personal bet.

Last edited:

Iniesta Ultra

A suboptimal interim coach till end of season is better than keeping Xavi. The message needs to be made that what Xavi's 'provided' is unacceptable for any extended time much less two years.

Andresito

Staff member
It's not looking good on the pitch but the season is far from over.

I don't think an interim coach would be better than Xavi. Only way I'd be fine with sacking Xavi is if we have a proper coach lined up for years to come to let him implement his ideas as early as possible.

Very important we don't renew him yet though. There's zero risk of him getting snatched by another club so better wait until spring before he gets a new deal.

Porque

Marquez is the only interim solution we will look at. So the question would be do you prefer Xavi or do you prefer Marquez.

The board is also very high on Oscar Lopez so there is a natural successor for the B team to.

So bar absolute implosion Xavi should get till end of the season.

Looking further we need to be honest with what our finances are and investment strategy. If it's going to continue being free signings and low cost bets with potential then we need a manager that has an eye on both youth and development orientation with an eye on the results. Not an easy recipe. De Zerbi has room to experiment at Brighton and has done some odd things that he would be destroyed here for.

Mrgandalf

Curious member
I have several issues on my mind that have preoccupied me. I'll summarize them, and perhaps you can help me refine my thoughts.

1. I have watched Barcelona's documentary from the past season, and there were times when the team was going through a mental crisis. However, they immediately overcame it with unity and the belief they had in Xavi and themselves. They managed to emerge from that crisis and ultimately won the league and the Supercup. After watching the documentary, I came to believe that even if Xavi doesn't have any specific strengths, at least he is one of those coaches to whom players remain committed. Now, I'm in a situation where I think if this sole strength of Xavi also collapses, what else will he have for survival?

2. We can consider examples of teams that changed their coach mid-season, and everything went worse. Conversely, we can think of examples where teams changed their coach mid-season, and everything turned around. Therefore, I don't believe we should persist with Xavi at any cost until the end of the season. Defeat has significant dimensions and widespread consequences that, if accumulated, can lead us into irreparable crises.

3. Given the logic in the second part, we conclude that if there is a decision to change the coach mid-season, we cannot opt for someone at the same level or even lower than Xavi. Marquez represents such a choice for me, even more uncertain than choosing Xavi at this time, especially with the likelihood of a worse outcome than Setien. In fact, it's a gamble with a higher probability of loss than gain.

4. De Zerbi is probably fascinating for all of us. We know that. However, in recent years in Europe, there have also been figures like Nagelsmann and Ten Hag who faced defeat on a bigger stage. There is no certainty that De Zerbi will be like them, but let's let another team take that risk, a team that is in a better position than us. We are in crisis and in transition. The most prudent decisions for us are low-risk and secure choices, even if they come at the cost of less excitement.

Raketa10

Appointing Marquez would just be a prof that Laporta and Co. learned nothing. Another inexperienced coach who would be out of his depth here. IMHO the biggest problem with Xavi is the lack of ideas and tactical skills. What's recognizable about his playing style? Does he even have one?

Regarding De Zerbi, it's better to make some odd experiments than to repeatedly do ineffective things over and over again. We need to grow a pair of balls and finally appoint someone different and exciting. No one is a certain bet but going down the same road over and over again is dumb as it gets. De Zerbi is not on huge wages, he loves Barca style and was heavily influenced by Pep and Cruyff. IMHO he is a perfect candidate and we wouldn't be risking much by appointing him.

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
De Zerbi has a contract for another year. When Chelsea got Potter from Brighton they paid around 25m. Would imagine we'd have to pay an amount close to that to get De Zerbi.

Not totally sold on him anyway.

Messi983

IIRC I've read somewhere that clause is only valid during the season and he can leave for free in summer (probably only until a certain date though, not on August 31 for example). Could be wrong but would make sense.

Raketa10

De Zerbi has a contract for another year. When Chelsea got Potter from Brighton they paid around 25m. Would imagine we'd have to pay an amount close to that to get De Zerbi.

Not totally sold on him anyway.

Considering we have spent 100 mil on Ferran and Raphinha, 25 mil for a good manager is a bargain. I am following this club for many years and what baffles me is the fact that we were always reluctant to spend money on a manager while spending 400 mil on players like Coutinho, Griezmann or Dembele was never a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans