CL Quarter Final: PSG - Barca 2-3

MOTM (pick three)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Temptation

Still, he has been ok overall. 56 goals so far in less than 2 seasons. Not so easy number to reach. Haaland, Kane and who else has more at no 9 in the same interval?

Had a bad slump this season, but also had some good runs of form since he signed. If he gets us past PSG... think we can start calling the transfer a hit.
Also has around 20 assists for Barca.

He has also scored many winners and game-deciding goals for Barca. Scored in many important big games too like both Supercopa finals against Real, Supercopa semi, both legs against Napoli, against United, against Inter in that do or die group stage match, etc.

I think we can all unanimously agree how harsh LL refs have been on Barca since last season? I can remember around 10 clear stonewall penalties not given. Considering that he's statistically the best penalty taker on the planet, that's definitely a factor against him.

Surely not a flop overall.

serghei

True, not a flop. Not amazing either. Just ok. Could be more if he does something great in CL this season.

He's just ok so far because he did cost a lot for his age and has a big wage.

KingLeo10

If he gets us past PSG with a big performance, we can call it a good transfer. A CL trophy win with this Barca would make him a Barca legend - just don't see that happening, he isn't good enough to take on the likes of City, Bayern.

serghei

Also gonna be important his level next season. If he can bag some 20 goals in the league also... that's gonna count a lot.

Temptation

1 LL, 1 CL and a couple of Mickey Mouse cups would be an immense return considering he joined Barca when they were far from the most attractive proposition in Europe and in one of their worst situations in the last 20 years.

If he gets a CL, he's easily a Barca cult hero forever. Don't think 2 years are enough to be called club legend though as KL suggests.

Porque

Haven’t seen it being mentioned on here, however, Ligue 1 has evidently changed PSG’s schedule so that they have fewer matches to play during the period of the CL QF against us.

Good post. Looked it up and I'm not sure how much it benefits them.

They have 3 games before the first leg while we have just 1.

Ligue1 did remove their weekend game between the first and second leg (lol at that btw) but it shouldn't be too much of a factor as we have Cadiz away and can rotate heavily there should we choose to.

I think the games before first leg will have a much bigger influence.

Our bigger issue will be that after PSG away we visit Real Madrid. But LaLiga is basically over so I guess that shouldn't matter too much.

Porque

Alaba was a free transfer so I'm not sure it's entirely comparable.

He was also very important for them when they won the La Liga + CL double. If Lewandowski plays a role in getting us past PSG and setting us up with a great chance of reaching the CL final then I think he can be considered a hit for sure.

Yep different situations as the salary amortization of Lewy will be way higher per season.

Temptation

Does anyone else feel our next CL humiliation is just around the corner or are we gonna perform this time?
None of PSG, ATM and BVB have the ability to humiliate Barca currently and CL finals are boring and cagey snoozefests so no chances of a humiliation really. Defeat? Sure. Humiliation? No.

I firmly believe Barca have a better squad than Paris. It was just Xavi and injuries making it look like turd in patches.

malvolio

Does anyone else feel our next CL humiliation is just around the corner or are we gonna perform this time?
Hard to see us "perform". Even vs Atletico we weren't at the races for nearly all of the first half.

At most we could sneak past PSG.

Loki

The most important part will be, that the team needs to play like they have nothing to lose. With a free mind, no pressure. That's why they improved after Xavi announced his departure, when the pressure fell off. They don't have the mentality (yet) to take on pressure, so just go out and have fun. Then there is a chance to win against PSG.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Atletico and Dortund dont have the power to humilate us even tough it would feel like a humilation if they are the reason why we dont reach the cl final

Against PSG we need to be careful, our team is better imo, just dont do individual defence mistakes and we will be safe and it's the first time since a long time that we have no chance to win ll so team will be 100% focused on cl

TrueCule

We started to peak in the right period of the season. I'm confident that we will advance past PSG. They're nothing special, we just have to contain Mbappe, that's all.

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
We started to peak in the right period of the season. I'm comfortable that we will advance past PSG. They're nothing special, we just have to contain Mbappe, that's all.
Started yes, but now there's an international break that scrambles all sort of form built up ahead. We only have one game ahead of PSG to pick up form as well.

Home of Barca Fans