8 - Pedri

vegitot

I'm more worried about his future than his injuries. What position is he going to be world class in?

It would take a dramatic shift in goal threat to be world class as a attacking mid. The instinct for goal is just not there, neither is the finishing or long shots.

As a natural CM, he would have a far better chance, but he needs to massively improve his long passing and tackling even in this position.

His stock is still massively high, both Pep and Klopp would probably be interested.

I'm still adamant that any serious bid above 120m is something I would accept for him, albeit grudgingly.
With his current strengths (passing, vision, ball control) and weaknesses ( physicality, no offensive mind, weak shooting and injuries), imo, he best suits when he plays deep, aka Pirlo role, when he can pass the ball comfortably and no need to face opponents directly.

But if he plays as a deep playmaker like Pirlo, the entire midfield need to change. Need someone to protect him and an actual attacking midfielder above (Pirlo had Gattuso and Kaka, for example).

behindbrowneyes

Not so worried about him tbh. He'll become good and age like fine wine (pretended he stays away from harsh injuries or suffered significant damages when he got overplayed at 17). The vision and talent is there. Just remind yourself that he is just 21. Where was Iniesta at that age? Exactly. He had his fair share of injuries that early in his career too.

Midfielders develop differently compared to an attacker where the great ones often rely on extraordinary physical attributes. All of the great midfielders peaked at their early 30s (the ones who stayed away from career defining injuries before that). Remember there were times when fans weren't that happy with FDJ and look at him now. And don't make that mistake to really compare them to Iniesta or Xavi. They should be the target but also remember they are in the hall of fame of the greatest ever. And remember that they got coached by the greatest mind in football of this generation.

I'm more worried about Gavi than I'm about Pedri.

Last edited:

serghei

Not so worried about him tbh. He'll become good and age like fine wine (pretended he stays away from harsh injuries or suffered significant damages when he got overplayed at 17). The vision and talent is there. Just remind yourself that he is just 21. Where was Iniesta at that age? Exactly. He had his fair share of injuries that early in his career too.

Midfielders develop differently compared to an attacker where the great ones often rely on extraordinary physical attributes. All of the great midfielders peaked at their early 30s (the ones who stayed away from career defining injuries before that). Remember there were times when fans weren't that happy with FDJ and look at him now. And don't make that mistake to really compare them to Iniesta or Xavi. They should be the target but also remember they are in the hall of fame of the greatest ever. And remember that they got coached by the greatest mind in football of this generation.

I'm more worried about Gavi than I'm about Pedri.

I'm not that worried about either in the long term.

But the present counts a lot. One of them is out for the season, and the other just got injured again. It's pretty clear they can't be counted at the required level in the present, age aside.

That's the problematic part. There are good chances both are gonna turn into fine players at 24-25 years of age. But until then? Fans demand titles every season.

vegitot

Pedri is already good, so no need to worry about his quality.

Problem is, that whether or not he can reach next level, a game changer, a player who is the centre of the team.

He needs significant changes to become that kind of player. Xavi hoped he can be a 10, but for now, he can't. "10 goals 10 assists" seem to be impossible for him.

serghei

I think our youngsters are great personally, but they just need a better platform from the club. The club should provide 2-3 more players of excellent quality in the first 11, and they can't do that because of financial reasons.

There's absolutely no rush for Pedri, Gavi, Balde, but the one that the club generates because of lack of funds. All of these guys already performed above other 18-20 year olders in Europe.

It's just that other players of this age don't get so much pressure put on them so early. Not all at once, and not 3-4 of them in the same 11.

JohnN

if he wad in another club we would kill to get pedri.
players don't just get worse here, we just scrutinise 1000% more.
Heck, certain posters believed Messi was our problem in 2019, so what else is there to be said.
Pedri is just fine, just stop getting injured.

Skalman

Yeah, a lot of what has been posted here about Pedri is quite ridiculous, he is a generational talent and will be one of the best in the world if he can stop being injured.

serghei

Talented players like Pedri are valuable for a team because they have potentially a decade long career at the top in front of them. But for obvious reasons you can't count on them as starters since a very young age.

Injuries, inconsistent form, pressure being too much, there are many reasons why players don't usually feature as starters at big teams until they are in their early 20s.

Home of Barca Fans