10 - Lionel Messi - v5

Albo

Nope, Barca donated the money to the LMF to avoid the taxes.

"The tax agency considers that Lionel Messi should collect the money, pay his taxes, and then give to his foundation. Instead, he asks Barça to pay the money directly to the foundation. At first glance, it looks like the same. Except that Barça donations are exempt from taxes and social security contributions. With millions of euros in tax savings for both the player and the club."

Ahh my mistake, well if they paid the correct taxes it should be all good.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
FC Barcelona didn't to anything wrong. If this is much worse than expected then it's on the Messi family. Barca just donated money to the Leo Messi Foundation but it's up to them how they use it.

Going by this, I think our club could be somewhat complicit by agreeing to pay The Leo Messi Foundation 7.5m (or 8.5m? I am seeing two different figures while the first was tied to 2010-2013 while the 8.5m figure is tied to 2007-2012) without paying taxes.

By the way what's up with that alleged 23.1 "exceptional bonus" the club gave to Messi to cover the 12m loan he got from the club?

This is really some bad stuff for Messi. Making a lot of money is one thing (100m pre-tax and including all those bonuses), but the picture they are painting, which is he and his entourage were using the LMF to evade taxes is really bad. Do we even know if the LMF is a legit foundation? What does it do?

IF TRUE, Messi and his entourage should really stop all the BS and gimmicks they were pulling. He is super rich, pay the damn taxes like the rest of us do. Not only will it hurt his own image, more importantly it might get our club into trouble.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Bad timing indeed at the very least. You think he wouldn't be distracted by this right ahead of our crucial game at the Anoeta? I doubt it.

Hardy

As is apparent from the documents examined by the consortium journalistic EIC, Barcelona has offered to champion the money necessary to bring themselves into line with the tax authorities. And, according to sources of Madrid, the player would be already close to an agreement that would avoid, paying evaded taxs and any fines, to finish another time under process. In the coming weeks we will understand if the tax authorities will lay aside their arms in front of a possible proposal for a transaction. Of course, now we can say that the Foundation Leo Messi has travelled for years on wire of illegality. Founded in 2007, the beneficial institution it is entered in the public register only after six years. And in the meantime has never published their budgets, as instead provides a precise legal obligation.

This is what says Espresso

KingLeo10

Going by this, I think our club could be somewhat complicit by agreeing to pay The Leo Messi Foundation 7.5m (or 8.5m? I am seeing two different figures while the first was tied to 2010-2013 while the 8.5m figure is tied to 2007-2012) without paying taxes.

By the way what's up with that alleged 23.1 "exceptional bonus" the club gave to Messi to cover the 12m loan he got from the club?

This is really some bad stuff for Messi. Making a lot of money is one thing (100m pre-tax and including all those bonuses), but the picture they are painting, which is he and his entourage were using the LMF to evade taxes is really bad. Do we even know if the LMF is a legit foundation? What does it do?

IF TRUE, Messi and his entourage should really stop all the BS and gimmicks they were pulling. He is super rich, pay the damn taxes like the rest of us do. Not only will it hurt his own image, more importantly it might get our club into trouble.

this is spot on, especially the last sentence. i'm an absolutely diehard messi fan, but such behavior by him (OR MORE LIKELY his entourage) jeopardizes the future of the club. and no player is bigger than barcelona.

Stoichkov1

the 23m bonus is pre-tax while the loan is after-tax.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
As is apparent from the documents examined by the consortium journalistic EIC, Barcelona has offered to champion the money necessary to bring themselves into line with the tax authorities. And, according to sources of Madrid, the player would be already close to an agreement that would avoid, paying evaded taxs and any fines, to finish another time under process. In the coming weeks we will understand if the tax authorities will lay aside their arms in front of a possible proposal for a transaction. Of course, now we can say that the Foundation Leo Messi has travelled for years on wire of illegality. Founded in 2007, the beneficial institution it is entered in the public register only after six years. And in the meantime has never published their budgets, as instead provides a precise legal obligation.

So it basically means our club and Messi are safe (without any legal troubles) but the LMF is a charade?

:angry:

Albo

Interesting difference. Football Leaks article stated that the taxes have already been paid while Espresso says it's about to be paid.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
the 23m bonus is pre-tax while the loan is after-tax.

Yeah I understand that but did they mention why Messi asked for the loan in the first place? What was it for?

Either way I am not happy with Messi not paying back the loan owed to the club but had the club forfeit it by giving him a bonus (what is it for?), IF TRUE. Sounds like another way to force the club's hands.

Albo

So it basically means our club and Messi are safe (without any legal troubles) but the LMF is a charade?

:angry:

They most likely do a lot of charity too but it's unethical as fuck to use it to your own benefit at the same time. Gives bad rep for all charities around the world which only makes the people who are being helped by different charities suffer. But at the same time a lot of NGO's are even right now human trafficking people from Tripoli to Italy. Honestly, don't want to give any money to charity anymore.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
They most likely do a lot of charity too but it's unethical as fuck to use it to your own benefit at the same time. Gives bad rep for all charities around the world which only makes the people who are being helped by different charities suffer. A lot of NGO's are even right now human trafficking people from Tripoli to Italy.
'

Yeah, again IF TRUE, the fact that the LMF had not published its annual reports until it was forced to casts a very bad smell.

They need to stop all this BS. Fuck.

Stoichkov1

Yeah I understand that but did they mention why Messi asked for the loan in the first place?

Either way I am not happy with Messi not paying back the loan owed to the club but had the club forfeit it by giving him a bonus (what is it for?), IF TRUE. Sounds like another way to milk the club.

Yes, Messi doesn't want to pay the amount of money necessary to avoid the trial.

Home of Barca Fans