Is Jorge Sampaoli the man to replace Luis Enrique at Barcelona?

Should Jorge Sampaoli replace Luis Enrique if he decides to leave?

• Yes

Votes: 37 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • I have other name in mind...

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters

Silas

mascherano-neymar-sampaoli-1478523326890.jpg

I borrowed the title from this article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-the-man-to-replace-luis-enrique-at-barcelona

http://www.sport-english.com/en/noticias/barca/why-barcelonas-stars-love-jorge-sampaoli-much-5613020

Some interesting quotes:

The game served to put the coach on FC Barcelona’s map. The fans discovered a coach whose team played like Barcelona did under Guardiola at Camp Nou. Intensity, pressure, attacking play, changing positions, tactical risks.

[...]

Sampaoli has almost all the virtues that Barcelonismo wants from their coach and is a name that should be considered at the end of the season if Luis Enrique decides to abandon his position.

Bleacher Report spoke to one of the Spanish newspaper’s sub-directors, Albert Masnou, a journalist who has a good relationship with Sampaoli.

Would Sampaoli like the Barcelona job and is he capable of handling the position?

“Yes, he would like it," Masnou said. "Then again who wouldn't like to train a team like this? What he looks for more is a project. He looks for a project where he can build something. In the crazy world of football everything seems ephemeral, what he wants is a project he can work on long term.

“In his sporting career, Sampaoli has trained many teams with very different profiles to Barcelona. Sevilla is the team with the most 'cracks' in it, although the Chile national team has a lot of good players."

“His first experience with Sevilla is going very well. For his profile, his way of being, the way he understands football, I don't think he would have trouble taking over a team like Barcelona. Or Real Madrid, or whoever it may be.”

“He plays like this,” Masnou said, referring to what has become known as the Barcelona style. “His sources of knowledge are many and are varied.

“But key people who have influenced him are Marcelo Bielsa, of course, Guardiola, whom he admired Barcelona's play under, Juanma Lillo, who helped him a lot with positional play—also was helpful to Barcelona, also Paco Seirul.lo [a physical trainer at the club], another person he admires a lot for his knowledge of how Barcelona play and the club's style.

He likes Barcelona’s style, he likes the style of many ways of playing. Barcelona's style is not just the property of Barcelona, he likes the style of Bayern Munich, for example, but yes, he likes this type of play.[...]"

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
I don't know, the resistance to coaches that haven't been part of the club before is too strong... I personally like Sampaoli, but I don't know if his ways would suit well with the club and some sector of the fans...

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
If Lucho leaves - Yes.

He ticks all boxes. Most of Barca fans have fallen in love with the club because of attacking and possession style of football.

MSN is great but it's just an anomaly and we'll need to go back to our roots at some point.

El Flaco

I can't really see Sampaoli leave Sevilla after only 1 season, he's building a great project atm.

Maybe he moves on from Sevilla after 3 seasons, although coaching us might be too late I think.

Vilarrubi

I like the fitness he gets from his teams, the pressing of Chile was scary at times. I'd have him if available.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He definitely should be the first choice IMO. Unless he implodes Bielsa-style.

BarcaOG

Banned
I voted no only because I don't think we should replace Lucho.

When Lucho's time ends, then, he should definitely be considered. Though I fear he might be treated like Tata was (a foreign outsider).

serghei

He definitely should be the first choice IMO. Unless he implodes Bielsa-style.

Agree. Seems to be the right profile. Lucho won't be here fore more than 1-2 years. And when we move on, Sampaoli could be a great choice.

khaled_a_d

Right now it is an absolute big no for me,we are talking about a coach who has only 18 games experience in Europe with zero achievement so far other than qualifying to CL round of 16.
May be if he ends the season greatly we can talk,but for now this guy didn't have enough experience to take a club like us.Zero experience in the club,almost zero experience in Europe.
Again,that could change,but if we have to decide a replacement for Lucho now then no

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
People are assuming this is a 'Sack Lucho and appoint Sampaoli' thread, but it's not.

It's a thread about whether Sampaoli would be the right man to replace Lucho when he eventually moves on, and that will happen. Whether it's after this season or after the next one, I can see Lucho leaving because the job simply is so demanding and exhausting.

Right now it is an absolute big no for me,we are talking about a coach who has only 18 games experience in Europe with zero achievement so far other than qualifying to CL round of 16.
May be if he ends the season greatly we can talk,but for now this guy didn't have enough experience to take a club like us.Zero experience in the club,almost zero experience in Europe.
Again,that could change,but if we have to decide a replacement for Lucho now then no

Obviously if it all goes South for him like it usually did with Bielsa wherever he coached, it's not a smart idea to appoint, but looking at how much Sevilla have improved already while having lost some key players and their coach in Emery, and how they've also performed better in the CL as well, Sampaoli is a very exciting option.

Sampaoli isn't even our coach yet, but seem to have a resounding respect in the dressing room. I think the players also might view him as Lucho's successor.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Obviously if it all goes South for him like it usually did with Bielsa wherever he coached, it's not a smart idea to appoint, but looking at how much Sevilla have improved already while having lost some key players and their coach in Emery, and how they've also performed better in the CL as well, Sampaoli is a very exciting option.

Sampaoli isn't even our coach yet, but seem to have a resounding respect in the dressing room. I think the players also might view him as Lucho's successor.

The thing is you are talking about "if things goes south" when it should be "if things goes right" argument at this point.
Sampaoli is making a case for himself? may be,he is doing fine in a very small sample size.
But at the same time he isn't the only one who have a case for himself,Marcelino done a marvelous job with Villarreal for example. His successor Escribá is having a good start for the season in worse circumstances than Sampaoli.
You know who is coaching a much inferior team and he is just 2 points below Sevilla? Eusebio. a former Barca player,one of Barca B most successful coaches despite bad ending too. And Valverde is a coach who has been on club radar for some time.
Gerard might make case for himself if he lead team to promotion.
And before all of them I would put my money on Unzué.
I am not saying that those guys are better options,Sampaoli might prove to be the best.
But in premature discussion like this (and premature might be an understatement) the options that can be discussed is unlimited.
The club should always have their eyes on different coaches just in case and Sampaoli is a coach to follow closely. But in no way he should be favorite until he proves himself in Europe in a full season at least

Home of Barca Fans