Luis Suárez

Jombi

Completely disagree with people who say the extension is too long.

It's a pretty safe to bet on Suarez scoring 20+ goals per season even into his 30s. A player of his quality is more than capable of it.

Look at Eto'o, Drogba, Sneijder, Rooney, Van Persie etc. Players decline. Him being at a very high level at 34 is unlikely and a huge risk.

Barcilliant

There are fans actually critisizing Suarez' contract extension?

LOL

I bet you guys would also sell Messi to China for the right price...

It is normal for us to criticize. He is not 23 or 24. He's near thirty. For forwards you give shorter contracts. Like someone mentioned this discourages young strikers from coming here.

Also if Suarez is mediocre for the next few seasons do we sell him for peanuts?

snowy

I love Suarez but no one can tell if he will maintain his level for four more seasons after this one. Until 2020 would have been ideal, but it's not really a big deal anyway.

Just guessing here but possible scenario was the board offered a 2 year extension but his agent negotiated firmly on a 4 year one and came up on top.
Loss of form risk is very low for a forward of his quality. He'll be 34 by June 2021, age shouldn't be an issue except for slower recovery in case of injury.

Out of curiosity, in case of permanent injury, would Barca be covered by their insurance policy or a clause in the contract lowering the annual salary on say a pro-rata basis? :thinking:

jj_101

It is normal for us to criticize. He is not 23 or 24. He's near thirty. For forwards you give shorter contracts. Like someone mentioned this discourages young strikers from coming here.

Also if Suarez is mediocre for the next few seasons do we sell him for peanuts?

Why wouldn't a young striker want to be mentored by Suarez?
Even if Suarez is mediocre, I'm sure a Chinese club would offer more than what we paid for him ( have you seen what they are paying for bench warmers?) and happily pay the balance of his contract. There is ZERO risk for Barca in making this deal.

Jombi

Why wouldn't a young striker want to be mentored by Suarez?
Even if Suarez is mediocre, I'm sure a Chinese club would offer more than what we paid for him ( have you seen what they are paying for bench warmers?) and happily pay the balance of his contract. There is ZERO risk for Barca in making this deal.

Dont believe a word of it. To just hand over huge contracts and then rely on Chinese clubs to bail us out is definitely risky.

Just guessing here but possible scenario was the board offered a 2 year extension but his agent negotiated firmly on a 4 year one and came up on top.
Loss of form risk is very low for a forward of his quality. He'll be 34 by June 2021, age shouldn't be an issue except for slower recovery in case of injury.

Out of curiosity, in case of permanent injury, would Barca be covered by their insurance policy or a clause in the contract lowering the annual salary on say a pro-rata basis? :thinking:

i don't know. I think there must be a clause of some sort, considering the deal looks otherwise fantastic for suarez.

El Flaco

Suárez's 1st goal vs. Espanyol

[gfy]OptimisticMellowGosling[/gfy]

[gfy]GlassFirsthandConure[/gfy]

[gfy]HighlevelExaltedEastrussiancoursinghounds[/gfy]

[gfy]AbleInfatuatedAfricanpiedkingfisher[/gfy]

Suárez's 2nd goal vs. Espanyol

[gfy]ImperturbableQuickAfricanporcupine[/gfy]

[gfy]BruisedPotableBrahmancow[/gfy]

Home of Barca Fans