Manuel Neuer

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
People calling Courtois or De Gea the best gks in the world? Ridiculous.
Courtois is a really good shot stopper and that is it (Neuer is even better at that). He is not good with his feet though. I would probably rate De Gea a bit higher but he is nowhere near Neuer. Neuer is the total package and his little bonus is that has managed to put goalkeeping to another level.

Young kids all around the world who play as strikers want to dribble like Messi, midfielders want to pass and control games like Xavi, goalkeepers want to become like Neuer.

khaled_a_d

People calling Courtois or De Gea the best gks in the world? Ridiculous.
Courtois is a really good shot stopper and that is it (Neuer is even better at that). He is not good with his feet though. I would probably rate De Gea a bit higher but he is nowhere near Neuer. Neuer is the total package and his little bonus is that has managed to put goalkeeping to another level.

Young kids all around the world who play as strikers want to dribble like Messi, midfielders want to pass and control games like Xavi, goalkeepers want to become like Neuer.

I think that what will make Neuer legacy much bigger .
I rate guys like Buffon and Casillas better historically speaking ,but Neuer will just change the goalkeeping for ever .even now most young GKs are trying to emulate his style .in 10-20 years sweeper GK will be the normal probably thanks to him

Beast

The Observer
Iker has had his share of fuck ups while Van der Sar had a few years at elite level, right up there.
That's why i wrote clearly here & in other thread "when they were the best in the world " or "when they were in top form " i didn't say through out their career

Iker when he was in top form he wouldn't do the same fuck ups , i never said throughout their career... even Buffon had his fuck up years but we are talking about Neuer where people claim he is currently the best... as in TOP FORM .. sorry he pulls so many mistakes to be considered in the same brackets as those greats

Zuza66

Even the all time greats made mistakes... many younger fans just aren't aware of that because they only know them from highlight reels. Schmeichel for example had his fair share of mistakes, so had Kahn, even in his most important game.
What is to be considered a mistake? More conservative keepers take less risks and concede goals because of staying passive; no one blames them because it's not what's usually considered a mistake.
The blunder against Arsenal... of all the commentators I heard Mertesaker was the only one looking at the scene with an intact eyesight and a sensible judgement... he went after the ball, then Müller and one or two other players jumped right in front of him, hence he couldn't see his target... mistake? Possibly, but not much he could have done about it. Had he stayed back and conceded the goal, there would be no discussion whatsoever. An even better example is the famed Stancovic goal.
It's pretty simple, really. Fans who are more risk averse with respect to their goalkeepers will consider De Gea or someone similar better, because they don't like risky situations or actions that could have resulted in a goal but didn't (like in the 2014 semis the one with Bale). Fans who don't mind that will argue that Neuer is better, because they think the risk-reward relation is extraordinarily in favour of him.

Yannik

I think that what will make Neuer legacy much bigger .
I rate guys like Buffon and Casillas better historically speaking ,but Neuer will just change the goalkeeping for ever .even now most young GKs are trying to emulate his style .in 10-20 years sweeper GK will be the normal probably thanks to him

I agree. He's quite a trendsetter. Maybe not the most succesful or pretty sure that hes not the best, but predicably the most influental for the role of goalkeeping. He didnt invent the sweeper keeper thing, but never has someone drawn more attention to it. Apart from Higuaita of course, but that was mostly negative attention or stuff for comedy footage.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Season ended for Neuer.

Their league title is safe, I wonder if Neuer's absence will have an effect on next Wednesday's Pokal semi-final…

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Looks like he broke his foot and could be out for several months.

Some serious injuries lately at the age of 31. Not easy.

Read somewhere that he's out until the WC finals

It's fortunate for him that he's a GK, otherwise this kind of injury at 31 would basically have been the end of his career at the top level.

Any official word from Bayern?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Read somewhere that he's out until the WC finals

It's fortunate for him that he's a GK, otherwise this kind of injury at 31 would basically have been the end of his career at the top level.

Any official word from Bayern?

They said he'll be back in January.

Home of Barca Fans