Barca draws Sevilla in Copa quarters

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
It's just been announced that Barca drew Sevilla in Spanish cup quarter-final.

First leg will be played in Sevilla.

----

All in, full force for another coveted Copa medal.

soul24rage

Our next 5 fixtures:

Vs Leganes at home on Sun. 1/20
Vs Sevilla away on Wed. 1/23
Vs Girona away on Sun. 1/27
Vs Sevilla at home on Tues. 1/29 EDIT: it's Wed. 1/30, not Tues. 1/29
Vs Valencia at home on Sat 2/2

Judging by this schedule, EV really shouldn't play the veterans twice a week or at the very least get a good result in the first half and sub them out. I hope Vela comes as quickly as possible as we'll need him.

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

Our next 5 fixtures:

Vs Leganes at home on Sun. 1/20
Vs Sevilla away on Wed. 1/23
Vs Girona away on Sun. 1/27
Vs Sevilla at home on Tues. 1/29
Vs Valencia at home on Sat 2/2

Judging by this schedule, EV really shouldn't play the veterans twice a week or at the very least get a good result in the first half and sub them out. I hope Vela comes as quickly as possible as we'll need him.

In total agreement.

The good thing about that schedule is that all of those teams, with the exception of Leganes and Valencia (we will play both opponents at home this time around), will want to play offensively, in particular Sevilla and Girona. This likely means that the games will be open which suits us very well. If we can get a good result in the first leg, I think that Valverde (in theory, doubt that he will) can rest many of the seniors in the return leg.

Hopefully we will see rotations against Leganes on Sunday and rotations against Sevilla in the return leg provided that we get a good result in the first leg which is possible.

Leo_98cro

What a shitty draw...i was hoping for somebody weaker like Getafe,Girona because then even Valverde would rotate atleast 1st game or Real so we can crush them again in two Clasicos. But Sevilla is strong enough so we will play gala 11 in both games for sure...stupid CDR

Leo_Messi

What a shitty draw...i was hoping for somebody weaker like Getafe,Girona because then even Valverde would rotate atleast 1st game or Real so we can crush them again in two Clasicos. But Sevilla is strong enough so we will play gala 11 in both games for sure...stupid CDR

Valverde would likely not have rotated regardless of the opponent. It's Valverde after all. Take a look at last season's lineups against similar opponents in the CdR. He is playing it safe almost always if not always. If not, he is making outrageous rotations like in the first game against Levante away.

The good thing is that Sevilla suits us well and that we will be in for 2 likely very entertaining games. If we go out, no big deal (6 CdR trophies in the past 10 years, 4 in a row), our seniors will get a much needed break and we can focus on extending our lead in the league and on Lyon.

If we get past Sevilla, on paper that is, only RM could be a potential challenge in the semifinal over 2 legs although we would be clear favorites and for obvious reasons. Valencia are pathetically bad and while everything can happen in a single game, it will be very difficult for them to defeat us over 2 legs if Valverde uses the strongest lineup in 1 of those 2 legs. Same story with Espanyol and Betis.

soul24rage

In total agreement.

The good thing about that schedule is that all of those teams, with the exception of Leganes and Valencia (we will play both opponents at home this time around), will want to play offensively, in particular Sevilla and Girona. This likely means that the games will be open which suits us very well. If we can get a good result in the first leg, I think that Valverde (in theory, doubt that he will) can rest many of the seniors in the return leg.

Hopefully we will see rotations against Leganes on Sunday and rotations against Sevilla in the return leg provided that we get a good result in the first leg which is possible.

Yes, as you said I would also play a rotated side vs Leganes at home and Sevilla at home (assuming we get a good result against them in the first leg). I'm really really hoping we play the likes of Alena, Murillo, Malcom, Denis (yes Denis too) and rest the veterans vs Leganes. They are good enough to beat Leganes at home and we shouldn't even need Messi to beat them at home. But judging the players and the coach, I don't think Messi and the other veterans would want to rest vs Leganes and EV won't have the balls to rest them. What I'm sure will happen is that EV will play the big boys vs Leganes and hope to get a good result in the first half to make some late sub at the end of the game. Crazy when you think about it. Let's see what happens.

Leo_Messi

Yes, as you said I would also play a rotated side vs Leganes at home and Sevilla at home (assuming we get a good result against them in the first leg). I'm really really hoping we play the likes of Alena, Murillo, Malcom, Denis (yes Denis too) and rest the veterans vs Leganes. They are good enough to beat Leganes at home and we shouldn't even need Messi to beat them at home. But judging the players and the coach, I don't think Messi and the other veterans would want to rest vs Leganes and EV won't have the balls to rest them. What I'm sure will happen is that EV will play the big boys vs Leganes and hope to get a good result in the first half to make some late sub at the end of the game. Crazy when you think about it. Let's see what happens.

It is crazy indeed that we don't have a manager with more cojones who could do what is needed to do. The seniors are what they are, seniors. They are no longer teenagers or in their early 20's for them to demand as much playing time as possible against every given opponent. Since it seems that the CdR is a priority again (given the lineup against Levante yesterday night) or at least not thrown in the dustbin, rotations against Leganés are necessary and needed.

You are right. You can always substitute the likes of Messi etc. in, in case of a bad result in the first half or after 60 minutes. Leganés is not a great team at all. Even less so away. That we lost against them earlier in the season in a very bad period, is what it is, and maybe that defeat alone will contribute to Valverde playing it safe and thus starting most of the seniors. In my case a totally unnecessary decision given the opponent and given that we are playing at home and have a very extensive squad this season with many offensive options. A player like Malcom simply has to start on Sunday.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Idea is to go full force next 2 months, collapse in spring and then make a stupified face in wonder what the hell happened :valverde2:

Leo_Messi

Idea is to go full force next 2 months, collapse in spring and then make a stupified face in wonder what the hell happened :valverde2:

:lol:

:valverde:

Valverde is a man of habits. He is not the most flexible guy out there and being a coward is not helping either. We can only hope for the best and some sanity to prevail. I think that even he realizes that we need rotations with our upcoming schedule if the goal is to have a relatively fresh squad when the trophies are being decided at the end of the season. This season around there is no excuse for him not to rotate whenever needed with an almost fully integrated Dembélé, a Coutinho that has been at the club for 1 year now, a talent like Malcom (that sadly barely ever plays) and amble options on several positions. As well as talented guys from the B team in Wague and Riqui who already know could play garbage minutes without much trouble yet Valverde refuses to give them a chance. You know, safety and pragmatism and all. Who cares about our seniors (core of the team) burning out when the trophies are being decided?

Last edited:

PhilS

Lots of rotation so far in 2019. I expect a fair amount of rotation to continue. The tough ones to rotate will be Alba, Lenglet, and Messi. Resting L. Suarez worked well last game, that should embolden Valverde to do this more often.

I'd like to see Pique and Murillo pair up at CB in the first Sevilla game, this combo must be attempted sooner or later. And we will have to see S. Roberto start at LB, maybe this Sunday. I wish Messi or L. Suarez would come off for subs when Barca gets up by a couple of goals.

JerseyAddict

Sevilla dkwn on 4th place... Sadly they will probably now put all in for CDR against us. Their La Liga chance is down the toilet.

Home of Barca Fans